[The wax] actually feels kinda good. What's so bad about waxing?
Pain is funny. A lot of pain is funnier. Humiliating pain is the best of all.
So nothing can be funnier than watching a man
getting his body hair waxed, especially if he screams, yells, or swears while the strips are pulled off. Though this trope can still work and be funny with both genders (say, a woman tolerating a leg waxing when she's not used to it), it's generally funnier with a man, especially if he Screams Like a Little Girl
. For one, waxing Bob's bare chest or back can invoke Naked People Are Funny and
be shown entirely on screen (can't exactly do the same with Alice's bikini wax), plus it's amusing to think of a man going into hysterics over something that women endure without complaint.
- There's a soda commercial with a fellow who enters the wrong room at the doctor's office because he sees an open fridge with a soda in it. He didn't look at the sign on the door, or he'd know it said "Bikini Wax." What happens next is given a discretion shot.
- Another ad implies that a man would submit to a chest wax for an original flavor Klondike bar, or to a bikini wax for a dark chocolate Klondike bar.
- One of several scenarios in adverts for Wowcher.co.uk is leg waxing. "W-OW!-cher!" says the woman as she gets her legs waxed, having apparently used a voucher to get it cheap via the website being advertised.
- Happens in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Steve Carell's reaction was genuine.
- The Hot Chick, although technically it was a girl in a man's body.
- The screenplay and novelization for Home Alone 2 contained a scene in which Marv grabs a piece of cheesecloth to try to wipe the paint off his face, not knowing Kevin soaked the cloth in superglue; the cheesecloth sticks to Marv's face, and when he rips it off, he ends up tearing his beard and eyebrows off. (In the film the scene is replaced by the famous electrocution scene.)
- In Miss Congeniality the sequence of Gracie being dolled up includes her screaming off screen and then limping into view. Victor then turns to the other FBI agents and explains "Bikini Wax" causing the two agents to wince.
- Justified, when you think about it, as Gracie is NOT the type of woman to keep her hedge trimmed.
- In Ice Age 3: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs, Scrat's acorn is stuck to his chest with tar. Enter Scratte, who pulls it off, along with a sizable chunk of his hair. Cue scream.
- Brazilian film Se Eu Fosse VocÍ 2 has this for a woman-in-man's body (though the waxing was made by chroma key...). Particularly funny because the male lead, Tony Ramos, is known in Brazil for his dense body hair, to the point when his name became another word for "hairy male"
- In What Women Want the main character uses a bunch of feminine products in an attempt to get into the minds of woman. One of these is a wax strip that he uses on his leg. Afterwards, he says that women are insane.
- The main character in Persepolis waxes her leg. Set to Eye of the Tiger.
- Friends, in the episode where Chandler, Joey, Monica and Phoebe are trapped in one of the bedrooms by Ross and Rachel's big argument. After Joey and Chandler are summoned across the hall by the sounds of Monica and Phoebe screaming about the wax from across the hall, Joey is persuaded to wax the hair off his arms to prove his pain threshold. It is not as high as he was claiming, although he does just whimper rather than cry out as the girls did.
- America's Funniest Home Videos once had a challenge to film men getting their chest waxed, one even got invited to the show to use a one of the props to pull a patch of his chest.
- One video showed a girl waking up her dad with this.
- Host Adam Hills underwent a 'boyzilian' (a male Brazilian waxing) - and had it filmed for the programme - on Adam Hills In Gordon Street Tonight after recieving a gift voucher for the procedure from an audience member as a 'show warming gift' on the first episode. It was hilarious.
- Amy got one on The Big Bang Theory. She's shown walking very wobbly afterwards, and it's heavily implied that she had she had a lot of hair down there before the waxing.
- Chest and nasal waxing were inflicted on Barsky in one episode of Dirty Jobs.
- In season 18 of The Amazing Race, one task was a 15-minute body wax. All of the teams took this relatively well...with the exception of Zev & Justin who had the hairiest bodies by a mile on the Race. And yes, they screamed like little girls throughout the waxing.
- Steve O of Jack Ass has had a full body wax for one episode.
- On MythBusters they were retesting whether socks could be knocked off with enough force, and in order to see if leg hair had an effect Tory had one of his legs waxed so the Busters could compare them. Let's just say there's a reason the page quote is labeled Tempting Fate.
- In the Firefly episode "Jaynestown" several characters find mercenary crewmate Jayne trying to smuggle a weapon into a settlement which forbids them by taping it to his stomach, with high-strength medical tape no less. When ordered by the captain to remove it, he complies. After about an inch of the tape is removed, he realises the flawed nature of his plan, and begins whimpering.
- The Spanish Game Show El gran juego de la oca features this as one of the challenges. A contestant, always male, is asked five questions. For each one he gets right, one of his toenails is painted; for each incorrect answer, part of his leg hair is waxed off.
- In one episode of The Red Green Show, Red does this to his nephew, Harold, as part of a demonstration on how to make a lady shaver. However, Red being Red, instead of using wax, he uses strips of duct tape. He places the tape on Harold's leg and then explains that one doesn't need sharp blades or cream or messy cleanup anymore. All one has to do with the duct tape is just stick it on and then snap it off — which Red does. Harold is clearly in pain but tries to deny it to his uncle, then starts screaming in pain once he walks off.
- In the 2nd Leisure Suit Larry game, Larry has to get rid of all his body hair to convincingly pass as a woman. To accomplish this, a friendly hairdresser promptly encases him in what can only be described as a cocoon of body wax. When he then pulls the wax off, Larry is in such pain that he leaps straight towards the ceiling.
- Smosh Games offered up the spectacle of Jovenshire dressed as Cupid as a reward for 1 million subscribers. Joven decided it would be funny to have his chest waxed beforehand. It was funny... but not for him.
- One of the "Impossible Let's Plays" Markiplier did involved this: every time he lost all his lives in The Impossible Quiz, he had to wax some part of his body. The most painful one, apparently, had been his armpit.
- In one episode of The Simpsons, they let Sideshow Bob out of jail to catch a man attempting to murder Homer. He must wear a device that acts as a Restraining Bolt. "And don't bother trying to take it off. Because it's duct-taped to your leghairs. And that really hurts!"
- Johnny Bravo once managed to combine the humor of a woman doing this trope with a man when Johnny found himself temporarily turned into a woman. The first priority was to clean up, and this included waxing.
- A lot of charity stuff, especially common for charities events protesting deforestation.
- One example is the 'Shave For A Cure' event. Someone got one of their eyebrows waxed off. Ouch.