The Slow Mo Guys is a web series featuring Gavin Free and Daniel Gruchy showing various scenes occurring in slow motion, filmed using a Phantom Flex camera that can shoot up to 10,000 FPS, the same one used for the slow motion scenes in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. Their YouTube page is found here and their Facebook page is here, you can also follow the Twitters for both Gav and Dan.They are technically considered part of the Rooster Teeth family, owing to Gav being an actual member, Dan appearing in their vids from time to time, and Rooster Teeth hosting some of their videos on their website.
These tropes look better in slow-motion!
- Affectionate Nickname: They both call each other "B" at any opportunity. It was an in-joke between them over people calling their friends "boy" that became each other's nickname for real.
- The Alleged Car: Dan couldn't even trade in his run-down car so he has an excuse to try and destroy it with fireworks.
- And kicking the passenger side mirror in frustration at it.
- Amusing Injuries: Filmed in slow motion, of course!
- How Dan hurt his hand.
- Not so funny when a glass paint bottle exploded and sent a little shard flying into Dan's finger. Don't worry, he got better.
- Ascended Meme: Dan's grandfather in the butane rockets. "I heard various explosions earlier." was used in a challenge to write said phrase on the tablet, running Dan's garden, blindfolded and being pelted by exercise balls.
- The series title comes from Richard Hammond's nickname for Gavin.
- BFG: Gavin was first to fire the Barrett M82 .50 BMG in the video featuring it, the video even gives a "Noise Warning" because the thing looks, sounds and acts like a miniature tank gun than a rifle. He and Dan both struggle to hold it up and the magazine looks about as big as his face.Destin: It's bigger than I thought it would be.
Gavin: It's very big.
Dan: It's large.
- Blatant Lies: From the FAQ video.Dan: "Do you guys play video games?"Gavin: No.Dan: No.[Starts pulling off all of the 360 controllers as they cover up the Spartan helmet]Gavin: Never.
- Butt-Monkey: Dan is usually on the receiving end of very painful shots from: Getting slapped in the face, receiving a football to the side of the head, getting hit with a champagne cork, finger in a mouse trap, punched in the stomach, burnt by boiling oil, burnt by hot popcorn butter, almost drowned with a water-filled condom on his head, choked on cinnamon, shot by a paintball gun in both legs, and shot with a Maverick.
- Call-Back: The original giant water balloon video has been referenced with other giant water balloons. The original featured Gavin jumping on one; later videos have Dan inside one (all but his head), being crushed by one while lying on a trampoline, being crushed by one while lying under a trampoline, and being completely submerged inside one.
- Comedic Sociopathy: The series pretty much runs on this.
- Covered in Gunge: Their current Youtube banner is Gavin throwing blue paint at Dan. Also, anything that involves paint and explosions.
- The Home Made Goop Cannon video made in association with Tide. Once again, it's Dan on the receiving end and Gavin enjoys it just a bit too much.
- Becoming more and more used in videos. Much to Dan's reluctance.
- Cute Kitten: Gav's cat, Lloyd, is very obedient to allow him to film her jumping down a tree and climbing up a fence when asked to. Of course, she tends to get in the way of some filmings.
- Don't Try This at Home: Gavin claims he dislikes these disclaimers, so he rarely uses them. The few times when he does say it lets you know that that day's activity is probably stupid levels of dangerous.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Okay, more like model globe shattering kaboom.
- Eye Scream: A very minor example when the Cuboid claimed he could taste tomato through his eye when one was thrown at him.
- They shot a pig's eye with an airsoft pistol but it didn't look all that impressive, even in slow-mo. The solution? Blow up the watermelon the eyes were attached to.
- Fan Disservice: Invoked, they wanted to remove the female attention by filming flappy faces in slow-mo. As well as when Dan was forced to vomit milk.
- Fun with Subtitles:
[ed. note: They should be wearing masks][That powder paint is not good for lungs][plus, they will be colorfully sneezing for weeks now]
- Whoever does the subtitles for them tends to crack jokes in parenthesis or brackets. Particularly in the 25 Airbag Rainbow Explosion video.
I know what you're thinking, you should be ashamed of yourself.
- Gavin occasionally sneaks in some jokes when he captions select shots. As he put it on a shot of Dan holding some rebar in a suggestive position:
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose: The literal example done just so Gavin would get shot first by a paint ball gun.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Considering that Dan is a former soldier in the British Army and has proper firearms training, this gets applied to Gavin when he successfully puts out a candle by shooting an airsoft pellet through the wick. This crosses over with A-Team Firing afterwards, as Dan points out the close grouping of holes in the fence from his shots, and Gavin's shots which are all over the place.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Well, Gavin isn't really a Jerk Ass so much as he just shows no empathy towards Dan after the latter got a bunch of mousetraps set off on his hands. Still, after the "150 Mousetrap Chain Reaction" video, where Dan set off the mousetraps by slamming his hands onto them (by Gavin's request), Gavin remarked that his heart rate had finally calmed down. After an incredulous reaction from Dan, Gavin points out that he was the one to set the mousetraps up, and Dan admits he has a point.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Dan first shoots Gavin in the shoulder with the NERF Maverick, saying he shoots like a woman before being shot directly in the bridge of the nose.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Seriously, running through a fountain of diet coke in slow motion while set to some dramatic music.
- Noodle Implements: In the flamethrower video, Gavin mentions that it's the first time he's ever received one in the mail. Dan, however, quips that it's happened to him before.
- Overcrank: The whole point of the series.
- The Pig Pen: Dan's lab coat is perpetually messy, despite Gavin's claims that he washes their coats between every video. Understandable, considering all the crap that Dan goes through on a regular basis, but sometimes he's just inexplicably dirty.
- Eventually, Dan was given a new, clean lab coat. It was however in a sponsored video for a cleaning product and Gavin immediately splattered it with ketchup, chocolate pudding, and mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- Playing with Fire: Exploding lighters, fire vs. water, large petrol fire, the flaming hand trick, butane gas rocket, flint and steel, fire tennis, molotov cocktail and throwing fireballs from buckets of petrol.
- Product Placement:
- By Lenevo, both for their thinkpads that withstand impact and water to be used on the I.S.S. and their tablets that also withstand impact and have a very durable, "gorilla" glass screen that was shot by paint balls. Best of all, you can play Angry Birds on it.
- Captain Morgan Rum and Coke's Dr. Pepper Zero have been donated to the Slow Mo Guys for publicity reasons. Gavin and Dan freely admit they drank a lot of it prior to doing slow-mo work on them.
- Shout-Out: Given that Gavin is from Rooster Teeth. No doubt he makes a reference to Minecraft with filming flint and steel in slow motion.
- Then there are occasional Team Fortress 2 references when Dan dons a gas mask for protection.
- Given that they were testing a tablet by Lenevo, it begs the question if you can play Angry Birds on it and the answer is: Yes.
- Gavin's nickname to a golden revolver when showing underwater gunshots, which is the Revolver of Pimps.
- Spent Shells Shower: They filmed each other firing an M4 on full-auto to show the bolt mechanism of the weapon, there are shells flying through the air in slow motion. Not as impressive as an M134 but still...
- Stuff Blowing Up: Exploding lighters, firework rocket launcher, axe through an Axe/Lynx can, exploding melon, the butane rocket certainly looks like an explosion at normal speed, bottle bombs, five power plant cooling towers, paint cans/bottles, a fertility statue, cereal, LEGO's, the entire world (okay, a globe of the world) and larger paint bottles.
- Submissive Badass: Apparently Dan is very submissive to Gavin and generally lets him talk him into doing anything; as noted by Michael Jones, its kinda hilarious considering Gavin is tiny in comparison to Dan. For extra hilarity, Dan is a retired British Army soldier who specialized in explosives.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Quoted word for word by Gav when he was about to jump on the giant water balloon.
- Violation of Common Sense: A couple of videos have this premise, such as the one where they stuffed car airbags into microwaves.
- More credit goes to the mousetraps-on-the-trampoline video, as to get the height onto the trampoline, Dan jumped from a stepladder that was placed - unsecured - on top of a small table. And he forgot to wear the safety goggles.
- Vitriolic Best Buds/Heterosexual Life-Partners: Dan and Gavin. The series runs on Comedic Sociopathy, but at the end of the day, they're really good friends since their days in secondary school.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: In slow motion from various Gross-Up Close-Up angles.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Their anniversary video showed every slow motion shot in real time which took around a couple of minutes even though all those videos were pretty much posted within a year and it takes quite awhile to watch each of them.
- Your Head Asplode: While rewatching flies being killed by a bug zapper in slo-mo, both Gavin and Dan are horrified to see the fly's head exploding from the electricity.