"Hello, mythical beasts! We have our own page at TV Tropes!"
Rhett & Link are entertainers who primarily use the Internet to display their talents. They like to call themselves "Internetainers."
Charles Lincoln Neal and Rhett McLaughlin first met on the first day of first grade in Buies Creek, North Carolina, when they were held in class during recess as punishment for writing profanity on their desks. They quickly became best friends. Throughout their childhood and adolescence, they went to the same schools and even dated some of the same girls (not at the same time, of course). During their college years, they both pursued engineering degrees (civil for Rhett, industrial for Link) and shared a dorm room. They also made stupids videos with a VHS-C camera and played them at their weekly Campus Crusade meetings.
Today, Rhett & Link are among the most successful entertainers on the Internet. They have written songs about the strangest things, and they have made videos on the strangest subjects. Their most successful operations involve making bizarre commercials for small businesses all over America. They have two YouTube
channels, a primary channel
for their main videos and a secondary channel
for making-ofs and real-world footage. They sell their own albums, T-shirts, coffee mugs, and even original shoes. They even receive sponsorships for some of their videos. They even had their own TV series on IFC in 2011 called Rhett & Link: Commercial Kings.
But they have not forgotten their roots. Though they both now have their own individual homes and families, they still hang out like when they were children, and they even made a documentary of themselves searching for their teacher from first grade.
They also appeared as the Wright Brothers, as well as Donato di Niccolò di Betto Bardi (Rhett) and Leonardo da Vinci
(Link) in Epic Rap Battles of History
Rhett & Link albums include:
- I'm Sorry, What Was That? (Live in the Living Room)
- Secret Songs
- Up To This Point
Rhett & Link webseries include:
- Rhett&LinKast: Originally a traditional video podcast, later became a live stream.
- Good Morning Chia Lincoln/Good Mythical Morning: Spiritual Successor to the Rhett&LinKast, a morning talk show.
- I Love Local Commercials: Later developed into the IFC television series.
- The Future According to Rhett/Link's Golden Advice for Single Guys
- Seaborne and Roach: Two private eyes on mundane stakeouts.
- Superhero and Sidekick: The misadventures of a superhero and his sidekick.
- Caption Fail: A sketch, followed by two reenactments of the sketch using YouTube's auto-transcribe captions.
- Viral Boom: On January 17, 2007, Rhett and Link stayed up for 24 hours to make 24 potentially-viral videos.
- Great American Road Trip: Sponsored by Alka-Seltzer, Rhett and Link traveled the country sampling local cuisine.
- The Mythical Show: A 30-minute variety show made in the summer of 2013, consisting of several segments including GMM-style conversation, a music video, and skits and stunts performed with other YouTube users and celebrities.
- Middle School Musical: Middle-schoolers reenact popular stories in musical format.
Rhett & Link's media contain examples of: