A film or series that revolves around non-news reporting of Non-Fiction
Many documentaries are known to break several Omnipresent Tropes
which exist in other genres due to nature of the documentaries.
Types of Documentary
Works of fiction or comedy sometimes use a style that imitates or parodies the Documentary
The Mondo Movie
is an intesting type of Exploitation Film
that can be a hybrid of the serious types (the original Mondo Cane
) or be totally fake (Faces of Death
Compare and contrast News Broadcast
A list of tropes that are commonly found in, or specific to, documentaries:
- Air Crash Investigation
- BBC Historical Farm Series
- Becoming YouTube is a weird mix of a serious documentary and Mockumentary-style sketches.
- Beyond The Mat
- Blood Dolphins
- Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans Of My Little Pony
- The Business Of Being Born: About pregnancy and birthing in America.
- Card Subject to Change: Life on the Professional Wrestling independent scene, for both Ring Oldies, current stars and young hopefuls.
- The Cove: About dolphin hunting/fishing in Japan and won an Oscar.
- The Dark Side of Chocolate: About the widespread but strangely unknown-to-the-public use of child slaves in the cocoa industry.
- Earthlings: About the horrific treatment of animals in the food industry, puppy mills, etc...
- Enron The Smartest Guys In The Room
- Fat Head: A rebuttal to Supersize Me.
- First Strike: About the possibility of a nuclear surprise attack on the United States.
- The Fog Of War: About former Secretary of Defence Robert Macnamara.
- Food Inc.
- For All Mankind
- Forks Over Knives
- Grizzly Man
- Guns, Germs, and Steel
- "Hellbound" A documentary about different perceptions of hell.
- A History Of Scotland: Explores the history of Scotland.
- Home 2006: This documentary looks at New York City through the eyes of a number of famous people.
- In Search Of: A documentary series centered around popular mysteries, with Leonard Nimoy as the narrator.
- Jesus Camp
- Kiss Loves You
- The Life and Times of Rosie the Riveter
- Loose Change
- Miracles For Sale: A Derren Brown special about the US faith healing industry.
- "Missrepresentation'' A documentary about attitudes toward women in the media and in American society.
- Nanook Of The North (1922), the Trope Maker, Robert Flaherty's film about life among the Inuk people of upper Hudson Bay.
- Pedigree Dogs Exposed: About the effects of inbreeding and other KC practices on the health of purebreds as a whole and certain breeds in particular.
- Primary: Groundbreaking cinema verite film about the 1960 Wisconsin Democratic presidential primary contest between Hubert Humphrey and John F. Kennedy.
- Reclaiming the Blade: On medieval European swordmanship.
- Reel Bad Arabs: A documentary about the stereotyping of Arabs and other Middle Eastern peoples in mainstream media, particularly films, and all the Unfortunate Implications coming from it.
- Revolution 1968: This documentary explores hippiedom in San Francisco in 1967.
- Revolution 2012: This documentary explores the importance of saving the environment.
- The Smash Brothers: A nine-episode Web Original following seven of the most influential Super Smash Bros. Melee players of all time, as well as the community surrounding them.
- Super Size Me: One man's attempt to eat McDonald's, and only McDonald's, for 30 days in a row.
- The Ties That Bind 1985: A documentary on the life of the filmmaker's mother.
- TPBAFK: A documentary about The Pirate Bay and the trial of its creators.
- Waking Sleeping Beauty
- Why We Fight 2005
- Winnebago Man: Explores the phenomenon of viral videos, in particular that of one man's profanity-laden out-takes.