- Escapist Character
- Ironic Echo: Once Mark had worked out the attack by letting his Author Avatar relive an equaly traumatic event, he went on letting his avatar working out his trauma by also building a miniature town himself.
- Muse Abuse
- Played Straight: One of the noted strength of his photographs is the total realism, whereas many other artist - when working with acting figures & dolls - do so with at least a little wink or sense of parody.
- Take That!: The SS officers representing his attackers get brutally slaughtered.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Mark, apparently the reason he was attacked.
in Universe Tropes
- Big Damn Heroes: the 3 woman rescuing Mark
- Killed Off for Real: Ruth
- Lady Land: Marwencol starts out as one, until the Author arrives and opens a catfight bar.
- Put on a Bus to Hell: Colleen gets just erased from reality by the witch, after her real life counterpart (who is already married) said Mark couldn't marry off her Expy to his Expy.
- Those Wacky Nazis: SS Officers invade the town in search of booze and woman (representing his past alcohol problem), they then capture the author avatar and torture him.
- Weirdness Censor: The existence of a witch with a time machine doesn't seem to disturb the every day life in the 1940s Belgium town.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The witch.