The Shades of Fact
The real world sometimes intrudes into the world of storytelling. That's okay, though. Storytellers have got a fix for that. Several fixes, actually. This is usually known as "artistic license". Listed are some of the methods used to massage factual events into ... something interesting. See also the Ignored Index, Infauxmation Desk, Information Desk, & Truth and Lies.
Going from most-factual to most-fanciful:
- Real Life
- As close to the truth as possible with available resources and information
- Minor aspects have been changednote but the important facts are unaltered.
- Major aspects have been altered or invented, but the core events and situation are true.
- Possess passing connection to reality
- Not completely untrue
- Completely made up story featuring true things
- Allegedly true