Gavin David Free
(born 23 May 1988) is an English filmmaker currently living in the United States who is known for his work for Rooster Teeth
Productions, their Achievement Hunter
division, and his own web series The Slow Mo Guys
. Initially a fan of Rooster Teeth, he later went on to become a forum moderator before he eventually joined the company. Free is pretty much the definition of Promoted Fanboy
. Known for saying some silly stuff every now and then, which causes the others to never let him live it down
.The Other Wiki
has an article on him,
and as a side note, he's the only member of Achievement Hunter to have his own separate page about himself (and alongside Kathleen Zuelch
and Monty Oum
, one of the only employees of Rooster Teeth with a page of his/her own).
People Like Tropes:
- Achilles' Heel: Wet bread. Lampshaded by Michael as he and a couple other people start torturing Gavin with picture sprays of wet bread in Death Craft II.
- It's actually ''anything that's soggy.''
- At one point, Michael actually slams a piece of wet bread onto Gavin's desk. He immediately has to run outside to prevent from throwing up.
- He's also liable to throw up, or at least retch, if anything disgusting is described to him. Apparently, he's unable to not picture it in vivid detail.
- Schmuck Bait is one. Whenever he sees something he doesn't think might work, he stops to think about it, but more often than not, Ray, Michael or the others will egg him on and tell him to do it anyways, saying that it'll totally work. All the times where Gavin didn't fall for that in the 200+ Let's Plays he's been in could be counted on one hand.
- Adorkable: For all his trollish tendencies, he seems quite shy and friendly. One YouTube comment sums it up:
"Gavin is the most adorable little asshole ever."
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Once in a while alcohol will make him even worse than normal. Once incident of note, though, was Let's Play Minecraft Episode 2 when he stole Ray's gold ingots, made them into four gold blocks, and called it the Tower of Pimps to everyone's annoyance. Little did he know, he made Rooster Teeth history that day.
- Always Second Best: He often does well in Minecraft challenges (e.g. taking an early lead in the Wool and Petting Zoo), only to lose at the end. As such he's only won the Tower of Pimps five times.
- Ambiguously Bi: Suggested in multiple Let's Builds; whilst posing a question to Gavin during their frequent games of Would You Rather and What If, Geoff always says, "Would you do X with the hottest girl or guy you've ever seen..." While normally this could just be Geoff being a Troll by implying Gavin is gay, it should be noted that Gavin never reacts to the addition of the "or guy".
- Just about all the Ho Yay moments in let's plays are started by Gavin, such as crouching behind someone in Minecraft to pretend to be humping them.
- He seems to have a thing for Monty, as well. See If It's You, It's Okay.
- He also once said that he put the posters of girls in bikinis up on his bedroom wall so his parents wouldn't think he was gay.
- Gavin himself has denied being attracted to men, and is currently dating Meg Turney (see Official Couple below), so it's safe to say he's hetero. The trope is definitely played for laughs whenever Geoff is around.
- Amusing Injuries: He regularly gets slapped, prodded, pushed and out and out abused. The only reason that he tolerates it is that it's funny and because it doesn't hurt as much as it might look. The fact that he does it back might make up for it. Worst of these injuries are a scar left from when Michael tackled him and when Geoff starts kicking the crap out of him in real life.
- Averted when he discussed the fact that he might have had a mini stroke, and went blind for three days another time. Everybody was clearly unnerved... then went back to saying "this explains a lot about what you say". Even after that, they urged Gavin to go to the hospital and get the former of those conditions checked out.
- And I Must Scream: Played for Laughs at the end of Let's Play Minecraft episode 73. Because he crashed on the moon and lost all of his supplies (including his oxygen tanks), Gavin is trapped in an endless loop of respawning and suffocating until the others come to help him.
- Angrish: Some of the time, what he says will come out as angered gibberish.
- The Archer: Surprisingly adept at a bow and arrow, whether in the 2012 London Olympics or in Minecraft. The sole exception is the VS. episode where he challenged Ray to the former and only got one bulls-eye against Ray's eleven.
- Badass Beard: He is growing one, though not to the same extent of Jack and Geoff.
- Badass Labcoat: He dons one when not in Austin for The Slow Mo Guys.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Subverted; in Let's Play Minecraft episode 35, he royally screws Jack and Geoff over when they weren't posing that much of a threat to him, but he doesn't get any comeuppance since it ends in a cliffhanger. However, in the next episode, Gavin turns back into The Load for Michael, and they end up losing by a few seconds to Ryan.
- Bait and Switch: Done brilliantly in "Madden: Super Bowl Special". Up by five with 1:44 left in the fourth quarter, Michael and Ray wanted to run the ball, so it runs out the clock and seals the game for their team. Gavin, being Gavin, said "I'm gonna pass it to Michael." Two seconds later, he yells out "OR AM I!! HAHAHA!!" and gives it to Ray, who ran with the ball for a touchdown, bringing them up by 30-18. Easily his best decision as a quarterback.
- Berserk Button: He clearly doesn't like animal cruelty, even if meant as a joke.
- He'll walk off most of the injuries you give him and laugh them off too, but a Groin Attack seems to be the way to trigger this. Notably, when Gavin was kicked into a metal sheet, penis first, he became a lot more frosty throughout the rest of the day it happened, and then tried drunkenly getting revenge on Burnie later.
- It probably stems from the fact he had surgery involving his testicles, meaning he has to be rather careful to avoid causing further damage.
- Actually he got kicked into the wall of a standing toilet, so he hit a metal sheet that was likely covered in piss.
- He may be a troll, but he will at least play by the rules of the game when the group are doing a serious round of something (in a practice round, he'll dick round a bit more). If you do cheat, he gets incredibly annoyed. Case in point with Caleb in episode 28 of Let's Play Minecraft.
- For the record; the moment that Caleb admitted to cheating the game Gavin set him on fire and killed him.
- The Bet: He's fond of bets which are either easily accomplished or outright crazy. For example, one bet with Jack involved winning six rounds in tennis. The loser has to lick Gus' shingles infected leg. He lost.
- He also had a bet with Michael that if he can finish off a five pound gummy bear, he'll give Michael $500, but if Michael couldn't finish it in one sitting, then he'll owe Gavin $100. He won.
- Big "NO!": In London Olympics Part 3. He doesn't take it well after seeing Michael supplant him for third place.
Gavin: "Oh, you overtook me. NOOOO!"
- Big "WHAT?!": Three, in Let's Play Minecraft episode 35.
- Blue and Orange Morality: Downplayed, though it's noticeable that Gavin is fairly consistent on what he considers okay and not okay, it's just sort of odd. Most notably he Trolls freely and and considers anything to undermine his opponents' chances of winning acceptable, as long as it's within the rules. Breaking the rules, however, is punishable by termination with extreme prejudice, as Caleb found out the hard way. He's also weird about what his standards are for Video Game Cruelty Potential- he hates the idea of in-game animal cruelty and even lashes out at jokes about it, but he has no problem with wholesale slaughter of NPC's for both pragmatic purposes and for his own amusement (to the point of being counter-productive).
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: He and Michael have this dynamic in Rage Quit videos. To what extent Gavin's stupidity is genuine or deliberate to try to get under Michael's skin is unclear.
- Brains and Brawn: The Brains of Team Nice Dynamite. A good example is their alliance in the "Potions" episode of Let's Play Minecraft, where he calls the shots since Michael doesn't know how to brew potions or navigate the Nether at all, but he's completely useless at fighting and needs Michael there to babysit him.
- Breakout Character: Just look at the length of this page and compare it to any one of the other Achievement Hunters. Hell, just note the sheer fact he's the only Hunter to have a page of his own.
- Brief Accent Imitation: Frequently done to him by damn near everyone. Some of the accents range from good (Geoff and Michael), to passable (Barbara), to deliberately bad (Burnie), to outright awful (Miles, Jack and Brandon).
- Brilliant, but Lazy: From what we've seen of his Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass moments, he's surprisingly effective when he puts his mind to it. He just doesn't bother to most of the time, either downplaying his competence for laughs or wasting valuable time screwing with the others' efforts to win. It's worth mentioning that he has an awful victory rate at Let's Play Minecraft despite his thorough knowledge of the game because he doesn't bother to improve his execution like his terrible combat skills.
- British Accents: He's born in Oxfordshire, England, so it's a given.
- British Stuffiness: Played for Laughs.
- Brutal Honesty: From time to time.
Gavin: (after 20-plus minutes) "How has nobody found diamond yet? What is everybody doing?"
Michael: "What are YOU doing?!"
- Bullying a Dragon: In Episode 6 of VS, he challenges Ray to Black Ops 2... a game he has limited experience with while Ray has prestiged the game 6 times (and he knew it too). Gavin actually managed to do surprisingly well at a tomahawk-and-ballistic-knife-only duel but still, Ray predictably took it in the end.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: He's unpredictable, prone to bouts of gibberish, and almost never wins the Tower of Pimps when it comes to Minecraft, but he's also a successful high-speed cinematographer, having done work for, among other things, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and Top Gear.
- Butt Monkey: Ever since Headlight Fluid...
- Biggest example, after winning an obstacle course in Minecraft, Geoff comes over to congratulate him, shakes his hand... and punches him in the stomach. While chased around by a gang of mobs. And killed by a lag.
- Trying to get the "On a Rail" achievement during Let's Play Minecraft episode 2. The other guys absolutely refused to let him take it. Michael even physically tackles him to the ground, leaving a scar on him, and Gavin still gets the achievement. Then they jokingly contemplate getting him banned from Xbox Live.
- Michael and Geoff burning his house down with lava and chasing him down, though running into a cactus was idiotic.
- Becomes this in "Let's Play Black Ops 2 Part 2". He gets revived by Ray and dies ten seconds later. He does so poorly that he is regularly insulted by everyone including himself.
- Every time the guys knock him off the sky blocks in Let's Play Minecraft episode 37. His frustration is plentiful.
- To be honest, just about every time in Minecraft where it's clear Gavin's about to win, everyone else will put their differences aside to screw Gavin over the victory. This is why his first, and for a long time, only victory was when it was a one-on-one battle.
- It becomes almost sad to see Gavin put through so much of this if it wasn't Played for Laughs. Good thing Kerry takes this role when he's not there, at least in the GTA V videos.
- Call Back: "Who's the best archer in Let's Play? Mark Nutt!" Referring to their London Olympics video where Gavin played a guy named Mark Nutt during an archery course.
- Can't Catch Up: In Minecraft, he's only ever won the Tower of Pimps four times. Every other time, he gets screwed by the other Achievement Hunters, or he ends up screwing himself over, partly due to Trolling and partly due to genuine incompetence. Until a come-from-behind victory at the end of Mad King Ryan Part 2 (Episodes 89-90) gets him his third Tower and first kingship.
- Catch Phrase: Any noise related to pain, or him laughing after trolling. Alternatively, British slang.
- "Tease it..." Even the other guys say it occasionally.
- "What is Game Night?"
- "MARK NUTT!"
- "Hi, Michael."
- "Should we do an intro?"
- "Why would you do that?" Whenever someone, mostly Michael, attacks him in some fashion.
- "Sausages!" Used as a curse word. Sometimes adds various other English breakfast food items like "Sausages and beans!"
- "Today would be great!" Whenever someone or something is going too slow for his liking.
- "SUCK MY NUTT!" (see above) or "SUCK MY NOB!"
- Cheaters Never Prosper: In Ender Pearl Race, Gavin switched his name with Jack, so when Jack stacked the tower, the guys were fooled into thinking that Gavin won the Tower. Until Jack realized that Gavin switched the names, so Geoff declared Jack the winner.
- In a more devastating manner, his blatant game throwing in "Cops 'n Crooks Part 3" lead to Gavin being tossed off of Team Lads for a few weeks.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Much more so in early videos, where he could be counted on to backstab or screw over anyone he teamed up without fail. Now that he's toned it down, he's become even more dangerous than before since no one can predict if he's going to screw them over or just play normally.
- Cleopatra Nose: Just look at it. It doesn't detract from the number of fans who describe him as handsome though, some even say it just adds to it.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Played for Laughs, but some stuff he says really makes no sense.
- He actually threw up, twice, in the middle of a Let's Play, because he saw bread. Even if it was the thoroughly-unappealing wet bread, needing to actually throw up because of it is a little over the top.
- The wrestler he made for "Let's Play WWE '13" has to be seen to be believed.
''I tried to make a Creeper, but things very rapidly got out of hand.
- He tends to ask stupid questions that the rest of the staff mercilessly mock and never let him live down, which would be considered just childlike curiosity if they weren't so weird. Case in point, his infamous "What if... your legs... didn't know they were legs?".
- It's gotten to the point where Burnie plays a game on the podcast, Gavin or Google, comparing Gavin's stupid questions to Google searches.
- Trying to catalog all of Gavin's silly/nonsensical sayings would take up the better part of his section on this page, so here is a link to a blog that collects them. That being said, this one statement in Let's Play Minecraft episode 87 makes everything make a lot more sense...
Gavin: Do you actually control the words that come out of your mouth? Like, do you filter the thoughts that leave your brain?
- Commonality Connection:
- Plan G with Geoff.
- Team Nice Dynamite with Michael
- Team OGG/Congress, in reference to one of the old offices, with Geoff and Jack
- The Cuckoolander Was Right/Dumbass Has a Point: Oftentimes people will dismiss Gavin's weird-sounding advice as Gavin being Gavin then realize that he was, in fact, right all along. Despite this, the others regularly ignore his observations because of how often they really are stupid.
- The Comically Serious: In "Mixed Messages", he's reciting bad news to Geoff all the way through the short, maintaining a completely serious demeanour the whole time. It's hilarious.
- Combat Pragmatist: He kills Geoff, Michael and Jack while they were all distracted in The Hunger Games Let's Play Minecraft episode.
- Also managed to kill Ray with a diamond pickaxe just as he started stacking the Tower in episode 37. Then he stacked the Tower on Ray's spot.
- Will generally sink to any depths to interfere with his competitors' progress (as long as it's within the rules) though oftentimes he'll just admit that he's being a Troll.
- His greatest moment of this, though, comes in Episode 90. The final challenge is to kill a diamond-clad Kerry in the maze below Ryan's house. Gavin and Ray both collect diamond armor and weaponry; when Ray finds Kerry first, Gavin lurks just around a hallway. After Kerry takes down Ray, Gavin quickly downs a swiftness potion before rushing in and beating down Kerry, killing him and claiming his third Tower!
- Comedic Sociopathy: Discussed this with Geoff.
Geoff: "Have you ever done something that was funny that may or may not have had a negative effect on someone else and felt bad about it?"
Geoff: "Yeah, me either. Funny's funny."
- Confusion Fu: Sometimes resorts to this if someone else has a strong advantage over him. How does he negate Ray's large experience advantage with Black Ops multiplayer? By running around like a complete noob so Ray couldn't predict his actions (though Ray still won in the end).
- Works again in his favor for the Let's Play Madden: Superbowl Edition '13 episode, where he is Team Lad's quarterback. Seeing as how little he understands of conventional U.S. football strategy, he just does whatever he wants, making his actions impossible to predict to everyone (not that's he's easy to predict normally...). This incomprehensible strategy actually works.
- Continuity Nod: Let's Play Minecraft episode 13 has him re-visiting the Wipeout course that they made in episode 10.
- In a VS episode against Michael, while playing Chopper vs Chopper in GTA IV, Michael suggested he swim to one of the motorcycle checkpoints, referencing Gavin's method of trying to escape in an earlier Cops vs Crooks episode.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: At gaming in general. Quite a few times in Minecraft, he would have won the Tower of Pimps if he didn't try to Troll the other guys, or if he had thought out his plans just a bit more.
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 23 fully cements him as one. With Ray eliminated early, Gavin takes full advantage over the suddenly-even playing field. Throughout the course of the episode, Gavin kills Jack from behind; dodges Jack's attempts at burning him with lava; survives Michael's attempt at eliminating him; kills Michael and Geoff while they were distracted; and finally wins the Tower of Pimps.
- His performance in Halo isn't actually too bad either. While he doesn't quite reach Ray or Ryan's level, he always manages to reach third or fourth in their games, with a respectable K/D.
- Taken Up to Eleven in "Let's Play Crimson Map Pack Part 2". The game ends in a Curb-Stomp Battle for, not Ray, not Ryan, but Gavin, winning by 190 points and holding the lead for the entire game.
- Check out his handle as the quarterback in Let's Play Madden. Being British, he has no idea what American Football is like, so he's pretty much a disaster most of the way through. On the other hand, his completion percentage (how many of his passes get caught by his teammates) is incredible.
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 53: Having taken an enormous lead in the first part of the Shopping List challenge (episode 52), then lost it, the guys all focus on Ryan's, Geoff's, and Jack's attempts at finding the last item they need. Meanwhile, Gavin discreetly finds enough items to make a cake and wins the Tower for the second time.
- He's won two rounds in a row of VS so far, beating Michael in Guitar Hero 2 and beating Ryan in Divekick. No Ray by a long stretch, but he's really showing off his chops here.
- One episode of Let's Play Grand Theft Auto IV, "Cops 'n Crooks Part 4", has Gavin as the boss, and in order to avoid being killed, he jumps into the water and proceeds to hide out on a buoy, giving him an advantage because you can't use weapons while swimming, and an excellent vantage point to shoot from. His team would have won the round, had he swam towards shore, as instructed by Michael, while the other team was scrambling to obtain and board a boat.
- In Let's Play Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Gavin is nearly unstoppable with the drone ability!
- In The Gauntlet, after not being helpful in the Halo game, Gavin manages to narrowly keep Team AH in for the future episodes by winning the race against Justine.
- Is second only to Ray in wins and win percentage in VS (as of Episode 48 on January 30, 2014).
- Deadpan Snarker: Sometimes; it's a sign that the others are rubbing off on him.
- Demolitions Expert: The only thing he's better at than making the Minecraft maps with Geoff is trashing them afterwards, exemplified with his "Plan G" underneath Achievement City. It seems like his unofficial job in Achievement Hunter is to wreck things, for better or for worse.
- He stomps Lindsay in Catlateral Damage during her VS debut. Even in a game he's never played before, Gavin can still excel if it's about knocking everything off of shelves and tables (still wrecking stuff).
- Demonization: He's not one to cry or appear to feel much sympathy, which prompts the guys to call him a sociopath, as Played for Laughs.
- Dick Dastardly Stops to Cheat: He could have won Let's Play Minecraft episode 14 if he had simply taken the damn Tower and ran back home. Instead, he hid underground, stacked it back together, left to get some health and ended up dying, causing it to, basically, go missing.
- According to Geoff, Gavin probably would have won episode 9 of Let's Play Minecraft if he hadn't spent all his time trolling people. He does comment how it livens up the video, so this one's possibly Played for Laughs.
- While he wasn't close to winning, Gavin basically forfeits episode 40's challenge (Dig Down, in which the competitors had to locate/craft four golden blocks hidden in a large cube) when he wastes his time building a Nether Portal so he could search for Zombie Pigmen and loot their gold equipment... forgetting that the challenge was being played on Peaceful and had no mobs.
- During Let's Play GTA IV - "Bike Bat", Michael takes a bad turn and falls off his bike. Gavin decides to chase Michael down and bat him as he's getting back on his bike... rather than drive past him and take his place. Not only does he fail to kill Michael, but this act lands Gavin in last place for the third game in a row.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Certain members of the Fan Dumb have not only invoked Never Live It Down, they've founded hate groups, started sending Gavin tons of hate mail and even written death threats for the odd slip up.
- Ditzy Genius: or Genius Ditz, depending on the subject.
- The other AH members do claim he is that stupid, however. Looking at Dick Dastardly Stops to Cheat, it's easy to both see their point and imagine he is taking aspects of this and doing it for the sake of livening up the videos. As one Youtube comment succinctly put it, "Gavin Free: idiot in common sense, genius in entertainment".
- When they discuss filming and cameras on the podcasts, it's obvious he knows what he's talking about. Even better, all of his cinematography knowledge comes from on the job training. He goes back to being a Cloud Cuckoolander very quickly afterwards, though.
- The things that Gavin's good at, he's great at. For instance, he's likely number one in Minecraft mechanical knowledge since Lava Wall revealed that he's the only one on the crew who knows how to make a TNT Cannon. It's just he's pretty bad at everything else and his general stupidity and lack of common sense get in the way of him making the best use of his knowledge. Said TNT Cannon would have worked if he hadn't told Ray to press his button too early, resulting in the whole thing (literally) blowing up in their faces.
- Gavin's reputation isn't helped by having problems properly verbalising his thoughts and a tendancy to panic under pressure.
- Drives Like Crazy: Gavin's performance in GTA and other driving games in a nutshell. As per usual, it's impossible to tell how much he's screwing up intentionally and how much is genuine incompetence at driving or piloting.
- Epic Fail: Quite a few.
- Anything he does during their Let's Play of Worms (and its sequels). Mostly when it involves accidentally killing his own guys, or his ridiculous attempts at trying to kill the other guys..
- In Let's Play Minecraft episode 17, he ran back to Achievement City, grabbed iron armor and an iron sword, and hid inside Geoff's house, waiting for Geoff to show up. As Geoff walked up to his diamond block, with the Tower of Pimps in hand, Gavin opened the door... and it closed before he got out. Geoff stacked the tower and won the round, then killed him with a diamond sword.
- He used bone meal to grow a red mushroom. Once it grew, it trapped him inside, and he took damage from it.
- When Ray turned Gavin's Tower of Pimps into a giant upside-down L, Gavin tried to reform it back to a straight tower, but he accidentally puts the last block on the wall two blocks away.
- Gavin does not do well in "Let's Play Black Ops 2 Part 2". Several times Ray runs over to revive him and he dies a few seconds later.
- He went to the edge of the mushroom stack in Let's Play Minecraft episode 35, wordlessly taunting Jack into punching him or falling off the mushroom. Gavin fell off.
- His greatest Epic Fail came in Let's Play Minecraft episode 37, where he stacked the Tower of Pimps... on Ray's Obsidian block.
Geoff: "Gavin has just given Ray the victory! You moron!"
- When he faced Ray in episode 6 of VS, he ended up picking Call Of Duty Black Ops II. Which he had little experience in and Ray had prestiged six times.
- Episode 13 of VS with a return to the 2012 Olympics game... just all of it. In the first round (Archery) for losing to Ray by 30 points and completely defiling Mark Nutt's name, the second round (the triple jump) for running over the line and getting no points ALL SIX TIMES, and the third round (Shot Put) where he does rather well but still loses. Because apparently he forgot the last time they played the game Ray broke the world record at that event.
- Any time Gavin jumps into a driver's seat in Let's Play Grand Theft Auto IV, it's bound to be this. His complete inability to drive tends to screw over his teammates, or at least anyone trying to ride with him. Case in point, driving the speed boat onto land during Part 3 of Cops 'n Crooks, immediately trapping the getaway car at the start of a round by launching it off a ramp onto a lower ledge (in the same episode), crashing the team's helicopter trying to collect Michael in the Co-Op mode, etc. It's either the respective episode's Crowning Moment of Funny, or fuel for his Hatedom.
- Let's Play Grand Theft Auto V: Most Dangerous Game  features an astonishingly hilarious one, wherein Gavin gets a turn as the prey with immediate access to a car while the rest of the gang is stuck in the marshes...and he crashes into a swamp almost instantly, then burns the rest of his head start swimming the length of it while the guys easily overtake him on foot. The crew couldn't believe it.
- In Let's Play - Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?, Gavin couldn't figure out a simple word problemnote , and had to cheat off of the NPC student to get the correct answer. Then the other guys had to explain the question to him, because he still didn't get it.
- Even the Guys Want Him: According to the forums anyway, most of them would have a go. "He is pretty. And his hair looks incredibly soft". Lindsay said in an episode of Internet Box that while most people might be worried about their girlfriends going off with Gavin, she has to worry about Michael doing it.
- Everyone Has Standards: He's a troll, but he'll never break the rules. Also, even though he's by far the most guilty of Video Game Cruelty Potential out of everyone, even he disapproves of Ryan's treatment of Edgar.
- Fallen Hero: After the events of "Cops 'n Crooks Part 3", Michael kicks Gavin off of Team Lads, furious of the fact that Gavin cost them so many rounds. He lets him return during RTX '13, but on a temporary basis. He then restores his membership, explaining the ban was temporary.
- Friendly Sniper: He's shown to be very skilled with a bow in Minecraft, but that doesn't detract from his goofy personality.
- Friend to All Living Things: He loves cats, particularly Joe and Egg Bodge in Austin, and Lloyd back in England. There's also a video in existence of him trying to save a pigeon from a cat.
- Game Master: Occasionally is a joint GM with Geoff for Things to Do in... and Let's Play Minecraft.
- General Failure: The... gentle way to describe his performance as a quarterback in Madden.
- Took a Level in Badass: Until the final few minutes, that is, where he clinches the win for his team with a 29-yard pass, a 21-yard pass, a 30 yard touchdown pass and a 24-yard running touchdown (handed off to Ray).
- Genre Savvy: He has a tendency to remove himself from the Minecraft map so he can't be found.
- Episode 23 really hammers home his expertise at Minecraft in general. Instead of running blindly like the others, Gavin constantly looks over his shoulders and changes direction almost on a fly, to avoid mobs and to find the other guys so he could hack at them from behind.
- In that same episode, Jack was trying to pour lava on Gavin as payback for killing him so early. Gavin uses the lava as a light source for the night. In fact, the new light spawned chicken all over lava; Gavin quickly killed them and took their meat for him to replenish his hunger (and keep his health intact).
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 31. He kills every sheep that he steals wool from, partly because he wants to and partly because he knows sheep regrow wool, which allows the others guys a chance to get wool.
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 36, everybody spawns out of the same Nether Portal. Gavin takes the time to mine the Obsidian blocks (which deactivates the portal), so he can return to the Overworld with Michael.
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 43, as well. Gavin is the first to realize that jumping into spider webs allows you to deal constant critical hits to his opponents, giving him several wins before they're torn down.
- Way back in Worms Part 2, his last worm took a health crate that granted 25 more health points to his 100. It allowed him to take two explosions, one from dynamite and another from Johnboy exploding upon dying.
- Episode 89 of Let's Play Minecraft has Gavin hiding in a tree and actually staying silent while Mad King Ryan hunted down the others. Even with the help of Kerry, he is never found despite the fact that Kerry was on top of Gavin. He admits he used "the Jack tactic" and that having a Creeper skin helped him camouflage with the leaves.
- Episode 90 of Let's Play Minecraft ends with Gavin taking advantage of Kerry killing Ray by ambushing him before he has a chance to recover.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Easily the least foul-mouthed of the Hunters, primarily because he limits himself to "minor" curses (damn, arse, etc) and uses made up words in the place of the "major" curses his coworkers are fond of using.
- Gratuitous German: Randomly yells it out during "Let's Play Mann vs Machine Part 2".
- Groin Attack: He's been subject to quite a few painful ones, and it's one of the few injuries that he does not take as amusing.
- Got Me Doing It: The originator of this occasionally; listen for random British slang creeping into the other guys' comments here and there. He's also the one who started saying "bunce", "gubbins", and other words that were ridiculed but have since become Achievement Hunter vernacular.
- Hate Sink: The rest of Achievement Hunter has a really hard time putting up with him at his worst; as such he's Vitriolic Best Buds with pretty much everyone there.
- He's become the de facto Dick Dastardly of the competitive Let's Play Minecraft episodes, primarily due to bad sportsmanship and all-around underhandedness. It's gotten to the point where the other members consider Gavin winning to be the only thing worse than not winning themselves. Given that his skin is the Creeper, it makes perfect sense.
- It's extended to Let's Play Grand Theft Auto IV: "Cops 'n Crooks", actually, where he gradually became a combination of a Troll and The Load, culminating in his aforementioned screw-ups in Part 3. Michael and Ray continuously refer to him as the best teammate of the other team, because of how much of a Wild Card he tends to be, and they decided to temporarily kick him out of the Lads because of how piss-poor he was.
- The Heart: Of Achievement Hunter.
- Helicopter Blender: When playing against Michael in Chopper vs. Chopper, Gavin makes it very clear that he's not all that good at flying the GTA helicopters. Still, his inability to shoot at Michael doesn't stop him from repeatedly trying to run Michael off the road or otherwise kill him purely with the helicopter itself.
- Hellish Copter: As can be seen in his ''Chopper vs. Chopper" VS Michael, anytime he's handed the controls of an aircraft it usually does not go well for him (or whoever is unfortunate enough to be inside the helicopter).
- The Hero: Occasionally graduates into one for Minecraft, though he's still a Troll. Most notably during episode 23 (wins the Tower of Pimps), episode 25 (guides the crew to a stronghold) and episode 30 (leads Geoff and Michael through the map).
- Hoist by His Own Petard: In "Rain of Fire", Gavin burned himself to death with fire arrows.
- Gavin has a deliberate case of this in episode 37 of Let's Play Minecraft. He kills Ray before Ray can erect the tower and since no one is near him, he can erect the tower at his spot and win the round. But he forgets to move Ray's block and erects the tower at Ray's spot giving Ray the win.
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 44 also has this happen as he switches his and Jack's signs because Jack has all the pieces to the Tower of Pimps. This wins Jack the LP as Michael and Ray guarded Gavin's spot thinking it was Jack's allowing him to erect the Tower on his block uninterrupted.
- Humiliation Conga: Especially with all the stuff he has to deal with in Minecraft. Granted, it's not entirely undeserved either.
- The Hyena: He laughs almost as much as Geoff.
- Hypocrite: He gets really mad when Ryan destroys the ice block that Michael was standing on. This is after he ran over to Ray's desk and messed with his controls causing Ray to fall to his death before he could mine the tower.
- Hypocritical Humor: Inverted. Despite all the stuff he does say, they have had a tendency to say their own stupid stuff as much as him. It's just not highlighted as much because they find it funnier.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Once, he drunkenly flirted with fellow team member Monty.
"Monty, I'm not attracted to dudes, but if I had a boner for you, it's really trying right now."
- Ill Guy: It seems like Gavin has quite a few things wrong with his body - specifically, he's had at least two situations where he's been affected by what may well be transient ischemic attacks. Not to mention he can't wear tight pants (not that that seems to have stopped him) or it will damage his testicle (he nearly lost one due to testicular torsion). And he once went blind for a few days after a head injury. Notably, while the guys do laugh at some of his injuries, these conditions are taken completely seriously.
- Some more info, regarding the wet bread thing and such: Gavin has *very* visceral reactions to things said to him. He has trouble not picturing things that are said to him. In Podcast #207, Monty managed to make him almost vomit just by listing some of his stranger triggers. In the same podcast, he and Miles discuss their ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) which basically means that they can hear or see something they find soothing and get an inexplicable physical feedback from it. In short: Gavin's wired a bit oddly.
- Also, according to Podcast #278, he's had strokes in the past and now no longer has any feeling in a part of his right cheek (you can see the spot by looking for the bare patch in his beard; that's where he absentmindedly pulls hair out because he can't feel the pain). In the same podcast, immediately after, they also point out how he had a problem with his colon that was basically summed up as "diarrhea for five days straight" (in let's builds and other videos, they mentioned it as well; it was implied to have happened due to eating some bad food, but still).
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Makes these sometimes. Clearly he's been taking lessons from Barbara.
- Insane Troll Logic: Falls into this every now and again, like in his explanation for why he keeps stopping to kill turtles in the LP of World of Warcraft.
Gavin: Oh no, I found more.
Ryan: Stop murdering turtles!
Gavin: I can't.
Gavin: Because it's really sad!
- In the Back: In Minecraft, Gavin is generally crud at face-to-face brawling. That being said, he often attempts sneak attacks from behind when his target is preoccupied whenever he can get away with it. The Hunger Games episode how Dangerously Genre Savvy Gavin can be, as he's the only one who keep watching his back and he takes advantage of people chasing each other to get easy backstabs on all of them.
- Karma Houdini: In Let's Play Minecraft episode 1, he burned down the guys' house and indirectly caused Michael's death via lava. A Creeper shows up immediately thereafter, but Gavin punches it to death with a torch, allowing him to get away scot-free.
- In Let's Play Minecraft episode 35, he destroyed Jack and Geoff's beds, which meant that they couldn't respawn near their Nether Portal once they died. Excited at the prospect, he gets Michael to help in killing both, even though neither Jack nor Geoff were in any position to challenge him. He gets called out on it, but the episode ends in a Cliff Hanger, so Gavin couldn't receive any comeuppance... until the next episode, where Gavin goes back to being The Load for Michael.
- Kill It with Fire: He loves using flint and steel and buckets of lava in Minecraft.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: He loves cats.
- The Kirk: Of Team Lads, contrasting Ray and Michael. It should be noted that Gavin does not mediate between the two others, rather, he's usually the problematic one drawing their combined wrath.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: In Skyrim he tends to steal things (on rare occasion by accident) and in Minecraft he certainly isn't averse to it either, as in episode 9 of Let's Play Minecraft he steals an entire suit of armour and a diamond from Geoff... while Geoff is standing right in front of him.
- Laser-Guided Karma: He'd almost been the victim of this in the first Let's Play Minecraft episode when a Creeper cornered him underground, but he beat it to death with a torch and ended up averting it. Until episode 8, where Michael kills him and steals his stuff twice, calling it payback for burning down the house in episode 1.
- In episode 9, Gavin decided to kill Geoff and steal his gold. Geoff gets so fed up that he actually punches Gavin (in the leg), and he stole Gavin's own gold as well, subsequently winning the round.
- In episode 13, he killed Michael (again) during the first ten minutes while they were looking for the Tower of Pimps. Much later on, he actually found the real Tower... and then a Creeper kills him.
- After pushing Ray off in Let's Play Minecraft episode 37, Gavin slips and falls to his death. Ray even addresses it.
- In episode 21, when Geoff fell in the well, Gavin closed up the opening and let Geoff drown. 15 seconds later, he falls inside that same damn well.
- After pushing a Villager off the roof and taunting him over it, he decides to dismantle the same house as Michael. When they hit the same block, Michael slams the pickaxe on Gavin's face.
- He lets a zombie kill an unsuspecting Jack. The zombie immediately kills Gavin thereafter.
- In the controversial Wool episodes of Minecraft, Gavin takes an early lead by killing the sheep that he finds, ensuring the others have a much more difficult time in finding wool. When Michael kills all the available squid that would allow Gavin the victory, one can almost see this as the exact same tactic that he had used earlier in the Let's Play.
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 41, they're not allowed to break each others' blocks. Gavin decides to screw with Jack's glass traps by crouching repeatedly on it, making it appear that he's humping it. Jack seals the trap and says "I got a Creeper! And you can't destroy my stuff!"
Geoff: I'm half-temped to allow it.
- The biggest case of it, though, has to be episode 37. Early on, Ray was about to mine the Tower of Pimps for the win when Gavin physically got up and messed with Ray's controller, causing Ray to die. Fast forward to the end: Ray is in the middle of placing the game-winning Tower of Pimps when Gavin catches up and kills him, claiming the Tower for himself. However, Gavin forgets to move the Tower off of Ray's stand when he finishes erecting it, giving Ray the victory.
- Inverted in "Shopping List" (episodes 52 and 53). Gavin plays by the rules and is the only competitor murdered by another for the express purpose of sabotaging his lead. But then everyone else is hit by an incredibly odd run of bad luck, allowing Gavin to make up for lost time and eventually win the game.
- Last Stand: In Let's Play Grand Theft Auto IV "Cops and Crooks Part 2", Michael takes off in the escape helicopter and leaves Gavin behind after he hops out and tries to kill Michael for more money. He's forced into this as Team Gents races up after them. He takes out Geoff before Jack kills him, giving Team Gents the win.
- The Leader: During Let's Play Minecraft episode 30, as the guys try to find a Mooshroom biome.
- Lethal Klutz: After Gavin accidentally gave Kerry a Helicopter Blender in Let's Play GTA V - Splat X, Geoff remarked that he might be the only accidental Serial Killer in existence. Michael agrees, but claims he has hidden moments of genuine serial killing too.
- Lovable Coward: He's an absolute wuss when it comes to horror games. During Rage Quit - Slender, he physically jumped away from the computer when faced with the Slender Man, much to Michael's chagrin. Fans (and the others) still love him though.
- Dirty Coward: In Let's Play Minecraft episode 35, he has more than enough to fend for himself (see his ricocheting of Ghast fireballs or his killings of Jack), but he's too scared half the time, so Michael has to do the heavy lifting.
- The Load: Gavin becomes this in "Let's Play Black Ops 2 Zombies Part 2". Gavin keeps using the dual pistols, despite the fact that they are really weak in the later rounds. He keeps dying forcing Ray to run over to revive him and then promptly dies again. He ends up doing so poorly that even he says that when Ray goes One-Man Army, Ray starts getting more kills in three minutes then he did the entire game.
- In Let's Play Minecraft episode 36, Gavin is unable to locate the Potion Stand in the crafting menu, much to his horror and Michael's annoyance. The delay allows Ray to murder Gavin and cause his Blaze Rod (the critical component to the Potion Stand) to go missing, giving Ryan enough time to beat the Gavin/Michael alliance to the goal line.
- His stupidity really fucks over the Lads in "Cops 'n Crooks Part 3", to the point where Ray laments that "I'd rather have a brain tumor than have Gavin on my team!" and Michael exasperatedly yells "Gavin is the best member of the OTHER team!". To wit:
- He crashed the police car into a highway sign support, flipping the car and allowing the Gents to get away, because the Lads weren't able to catch up.
- He fell out of the getaway boat twice, culminating in Geoff killing him after he tried to hijack Geoff's boat.
- He accidentally drove the second getaway boat onto land, granting the Gents the victory as the getaway vehicle is no longer drivable when the Lads practically had that round in the bag at that point.
- However, the greatest screw-up by far was when he drove the car over a ramp and got his team trapped in a ledge. Geoff, Ryan and Jack picked them apart in seconds. Thus, this particular Let's Play lead him to being "fired" from the Lads, which was brought up again in "Let's Build Dark Achievement City". It apparently lasted until RTX '13, when Gavin was readmitted during their Let's Play round of GTA IV and has seemingly stuck as of "Bike Bat Part 2".
- For The Gauntlet in Season 2, he falls into this territory as well, as he proves to be the weak link at Halo and forgets the objective a few times.
- Mad Bomber: Downplayed, though he does love his TNT almost as much as he does his lava and flint in Minecraft. Best showcased during the third episode, when he went around setting even more dynamite off after Plan G got enacted because he felt like Achievement City didn't get leveled enough.
Michael: Jack's house just blew up and Gavin's just cackling, so I can only imagine what happened there...
- Mission Control: Had to guide the crew to his location in Let's Play Minecraft episode 25.
- Moral Myopia: In episode 37 of Let's Play Minecraft, Gavin complains when Ray knocks him off. Even though Gavin himself knocked Ray off the blocks before. Ray naturally points this out.
- Mr. Fanservice: He has two groups dedicated to this, much to his surprise.
- Never Live It Down: Invoked by the fandom regarding "headlight fluid", to the point he prefers to not discuss it when he's working on The Slow Mo Guys.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Geoff beats the crap out of him in real life after he steals his stuff and kills him one time too many.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: There's some evidence that he plays up the dumb aspect for laughs, though the AH members would disagree as to how much this is the case. It's up to the viewers to interpret whether his Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass moments are his true competence shining through or just momentary lucky breaks.
- Official Couple: With Meg Turney, former SourceFed host and currently a presenter for Rooster Teeth's news channel, The Know.
- Oh Crap: Gavin is dumbfounded to find out that, after everyone finished playing the London Olympics 2012 game, Ray went back and got all of the achievements. Reason for the Oh Crap? Because Gavin chose London Olympics 2012 as the game to play in VS episode 13.
- He gets another one when Lindsay ends up challenging him instead of Ryan in VS episode 49, then gets a tad bit worse when she reveals the game "Catlateral Damage"
- Perma Stubble: Whenever he's not in the middle of trying to grow a badass beard, this happens.
- Person of Mass Destruction: He's killed everyone multiple times. Himself included.
- Platonic Life Partners: With Barbara.
- Pretty Boy: Even with the nose.
- Pyro Maniac: In Minecraft, his signature tools nowadays are pretty much a bucket of lava and flint and steel. As mentioned at the start of Episode 71 of the Let's Play:
Michael: What the fuck's on fire?
Lindsey: Whoa, what is on fire?
Geoff: Gavin's in the game, something's probably on fire...
- Best shown when he blasts people with the flamethrower in the Zombie Apocalypse edition.
- Raised Catholic: Mentioned briefly in Podcast #253.
- Rage Quit: In Let's Play Minecraft episode 14, Ray got the Tower of Pimps, so Gavin pushed the "Plan G" button. Didn't work.
- In episode 40, Gavin sets the ground under Jack on fire after Jack wins the Tower of Pimps. He mined the gold blocks so they could fall onto the fire. Jack kills him shortly thereafter.
- In the Rage Quit episode featuring the Steam version of Surgeon Simulator 2013, Gavin rage quits on Michael after they start arguing over if they should remove the old kidneys or not.
- An episode of Trials Evolution PIG, Gavin gets so frustrated during one map, he gives up and goes play Minecraft for a good five minutes until Jack finishes the map.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Michael's Red.
- Also, in Let's Build, the Blue to Geoff's Red when they aren't acting roughly the same.
- Reliable Traitor: In the early episodes of Let's Play Minecraft, Gavin could always be counted on to either sabotage someone's efforts or stab someone in the back. This made him easy to predict so people would start doing things like killing him right at the start and confiscating his Flint and Steel. He's toned it down to a great extent, though now that his antics are more sporadic, it actually makes him more dangerous, since people get lulled into a false sense of security and forget who they're dealing with...
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: When Burnie kicked him into a metal urinal so that he hit it dick first, Gavin tried this by tackling him and giving him a noogie later. He was drunk at the time and was promptly tricked into a lift, though mercifully he got back up to his room without any help.
- Rule of Funny: He's explained that he screws around in games (especially Minecraft) and gets under people's skins - particularly Michael's and Jack's - because it livens things up. Some people who didn't get the memo think he's actually that much of a jerk in real life.
- Scarf of Asskicking: Has a Creeper scarf which he dons in the winter, which Kathleen gave to him.
- Self-Deprecation: This is probably to stop other people getting in and highlighting his mistakes.
- Separated by a Common Language: Everyone else is regularly confounded by Gavin's slang, which can be described as a mixture of legitimate British English vernacular and "words that Gavin made up".
Michael: You're the ONLY one here that doesn't speak English! It's just you! You don't even speak a real language, you speak Gavin, it sucks!
- Ship Tease: He often invokes this with several of the other staff members, mostly Michael, Ray, and Barbara. Despite that, he's happily dating Meg, while both the lads having their own partners (and, you know, are also straight), and both him and Barbara have made it clear they won't ever hook up. Doesn't stop it making it into the Music Video for Barenaked Ladies' Did I Say It Out Loud? though.
- Shrine to Self: He has a secret room commemorating the (at the time) single occasion he won the Tower of Pimps called "Gav's Trophie [sic] Room of Victory". The guys find out (with the unsubtle aid of Geoff, who knew about it) in episode 47, much to their amusement and his distress.
Gavin: It's private!
Michael: Gavin is... I think he's about to cry.
Ray: This is the saddest thing I've seen.
Jack: Wow, do you have a note from your mom in here too?
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: To Jack, who almost never passes up an opportunity to kill Gavin in Let's Plays.
- Sore Loser: When he was sacked in "Let's Play Madden Super Bowl Special", his character (Joe Flacco) shoved the guy who tackled him to the ground.
- The Smart Guy: In Minecraft; he has more experience with the game, so he designs most of their courses and cities. He's also the only one who knows how to build several Redstone mechanisms like TNT Cannons, a further testament to his game knowledge.
- He's also very good at cinematography, and is one of only a handful of people in the world who are trained to use the high-speed cameras he uses for The Slow Mo Guys.
- Mr. Exposition: In Let's Play Minecraft episode 30, he explains the mechanics behind a wolf's health (a big tail means full health; if he eats meat, the tail grows).
- Spanner in the Works: At the very end of "Let's Play Worms Part 2", Gavin, Ray and Michael all had one worm left. When it was Gavin's turn, he used a jetpack to release dynamite on Ray. However, he spent too much time trying to "tease it", the fuel for his jetpack ran out. When he tried to fly up, the jetpack disappeared, propelling him into the water, killing himself. Just two seconds later, the dynamite threw Ray's worm into the water, effectively winning the game for Michael.
- In general Gavin is rather prone to screwing people's chances of winning, both intentionally and unintentionally (making it this trope).
- Spell My Name with an S: Inverted; his name is not Gavino, it's just Gavin.
- Team Killer: Especially in their Let's Play of Worms, where he's far more of a danger to his own team than to the others'.
- Tempting Fate: "Good luck finding the bloody Nether Fortress." Right as Jack and Geoff spawned in a Nether Fortress. Gavin was flabbergasted.
- Let's Play Minecraft episode 38, he expressed his distaste at the idea of Ray winning the Tower of Pimps for a second week in a row. Guess what happens.
- During "Let's Play Trials Evolution", he says "Look how good we all are". Immediately after saying that, Geoff crashes.
- During one playthrough of Cloudberry Kingdom, as the group spawns at the start of a new level, Gavin excitedly proclaims "We're back, bitches!" This is immediately followed by him walking straight off a ledge.
- Those Two Guys: With Michael. This applies less and less as time goes on as it becomes apparent that Gavin and Michael have become core members of the cast and just as well-known as the others.
- Token Chaotic Teammate: He personally ignites a lot of problems for the crew in Minecraft. Whether it's burning down their house, setting their library on fire, trying to lead the guys to their deaths (successfully with Jack), losing the Tower of Pimps underground (though that was an accident to an extent), killing members of the crew when they're distracted, stealing their tools and weapons, sealing Geoff in a mine and so forth.
- Took a Level in Badass: In Let's Play Minecraft episode 23, we get to see the full extent of Gavin's expertise as a Minecraft player. Case in point, he wins the Tower of Pimps!
- Even more so in "Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack Episode 2". To start off, Gavin's first kill is Ray, and he keeps on rolling with it. He was once inside a Mantis, attacked by Ryan, Michael and Jacks, all of whom were in Ghosts, and he killed all three before Ray took him down.
- In Let's Play Minecraft episode 105, he lost to Ryan in two curb-stomping one-on-one sword fights. Later on, both of them complete their Tower of Pimps in the same round, so they had one more fight to determine the overall winner. Surprisingly, after getting his health refilled and his Lads back him for support, Gavin defeats Ryan in a much closer match than before and wins the Tower.
- Trash Talk/Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Often does this in VS episodes when he gains a lead, even if he's losing badly overall. Played for Laughs as usual.
Gavin: (teabagging Ray) Suck my British testicles!
- Troll: While mostly Played for Laughs, Gavin can't seem to go into a game without ruining it for everyone else.
- Destroying Jack and Geoff's beds in Let's Play Minecraft episode 35, effectively booting them from the game once they died. Note that neither Jack nor Geoff were in any position to challenge Gavin at that point.
- Creating land mines by hiding TNT under pressure plates in Minecraft. In general a decent number of the "Things To Do in Minecraft" videos that he makes without Geoff (or some even with him) teach people creative ways to wreck someone else's day.
- Dumping lava all over the guys' first house in Let's Play Minecraft episode 1.
- Shooting Ray twice with fire arrows in "Rain of Fire."
- Tried to get a Creeper to explode after hitting it in the back, so it screws up Michael and Jack. Didn't work, though.
- Trying to lead the crew to their deaths in episode 25. Successfully, in Jack's case.
- Using a fence to seal Ray in his house during Let's Play Minecraft episode 27.
- Setting the guys' library on fire. Twice.
- Terrorizing the Villagers in episode 30. He threw one off a roof after saying "Don't fall off the roof!"; hit another onto a farm; pushed one into a well and sealed the entrance; attacked one for not getting into his home yet; punched one to death at the beginning of the video; smacked another with a pickaxe and his hands; and killed the last one after congratulating him for the hospitality.
- According to the rest of the cast, Gavin's been like this for as long as they've known him. One of his most notorious traits before Achievement Hunter started was killing off any friendly NPCs in other games so that he could get all of the experience from kills.
- Swimming underwater, mining the wood from Caleb's pier and pulling him into the water. This was before he learned that Caleb was cheating. After he does find out, he sets him alight and beats him to death with an iron sword, though it's quite probable somebody else would have done it if he hadn't.
- He gets Geoff to go underneath a large mass of sand blocks. Gavin grabs a shovel and removes one, leading to all sand blocks falling to the water. Geoff is none too pleased.
- All the times he uses portals to throw the guys off-guard in Mari0.
- Extends into real life too, as he often interrupts other people working (he interrupts the Weekly Update part of Achievement Hunter the most frequently) and gets trolled in turn. It was once lampshaded by Geoff after some trolling of his own.
Geoff: "Now I see why Gavin does it; it's hilarious."
- His official skin in Minecraft is actually a Creeper, to reflect this. It often prompts the others, namely Jack and especially Michael, to mistake Gavin as a real Creeper.
- A rather blatant example is when Ray is about to mine the Tower in episode 37... and then, in real life, Gavin runs over to Ray's desk and messes with his controller causing him to fall to his death.
- Turns Red: His character in "Let's Play WWE '13", after the first round. Not that it helped him.
- Unfortunate Names: The name of the UK archer in the 2012 London Olympics game is Mark Nutt. Noteworthy because Gavin has a tendency to invoke the guy's name every time he makes an impressive shot (of which he makes several) since he bested everyone at archery in the original video.
- Upper-Class Twit: Everyone else accuses him of being one, but it's really just Played for Laughs.
- Up to Eleven: The reason most of his Trolling episodes occur in Minecraft. It being free-roaming, Gavin has so many more opportunities and capabilities to troll than in most other games.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: He enjoys running on this in games like Skyrim. See "Pissing Off The Preacher" (though admittedly this probably only increased his popularity).
- In Let's Play Minecraft episode 30, Gavin not only brings up the suggestion to burn the villagers alive, but he actually drowns a villager, nicknamed Bronson by him almost immediately after he drowns, in a well by covering it up with wood. The other guys aren't impressed.
Jack: "Can we try to fence in all the villagers? Can we push them all together and lock them in?"
Gavin: "Maybe we should burn them alive."
- His tendency to murder AI Marines in Halo has led to Gus and Burnie dubbing him a psychopath.
- He kills random turtles in World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. Hates it every time, but does it every time... because he hates it every time. For various reasons, the guys grew sick of it.
Ryan: "Stop murdering turtles!"
Gavin: "I can't!"
Geoff: "Gavin, can you just-"
Michael: "What are you fucking whining about?"
Jack: "Jesus Christ! Gavin, get the hell over here!"
Ryan: "What do you have against woodland creatures?"
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With pretty much everyone in the office, but most notably Michael.
- Also with Geoff. For all the crap that the two put each other through, Geoff has likened their relationship to having a younger brother or an older kid.
- Not to mention, Ray. In Let's Play Minecraft episodes 26, 27, and 28, both of them kept messing with the others stuff (Gavin's Tower of Pimps and Ray's roses), and they both cause a lot of unnecessary grief for the other such as Gavin setting the library on fire and Ray stealing Gavin's fish. However, then they do things like jumping around together and trying to catch a pig with fishing rods.
Ray: (after annoying Gavin by taking his tower and putting it back wrong) I'm sorry, Gavin. Best friends forever?
Gavin: BFFs, Ray.
- Comes to a head in Let's Play Minecraft episode 37, where Gavin takes turns punching or pushing Ray and Michael off the blocks in the sky, who respond in kind.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Wet bread. Even seeing pictures of it makes him literally throw up.
- Welcome Back, Traitor: After being tossed out in "Cops 'n Crooks Part 3" for his trolling, Gavin is officially reinstated into Team Lads in "Lava Wall".
- Wild Card: Due to what he is, it's pretty hard to predict if he'll screw some over with during a Let's Play. Michael actually refers to him as one verbatim in Let's Play Grand Theft Auto IV "Cops 'n Crooks Part 3". In general, his performance in team-based games (whether all six are co-op playing or if it's Lads versus Gents) varies from video to video between carrying the team, doing badly then turning it all around, being dead weight to his team, and just plain undermining their efforts to win.
- Gavin has said in interviews and podcasts that he feels his unofficial job during Let's Plays is to stir things up if things are going too smoothly (as it makes for a more entertaining video).
- Workaholic: Most likely is one considering how much he does for Rooster Teeth, dividing his time between Achievement Hunter, The Rooster Teeth Podcast, The Slow Mo Guys, etc. It was mentioned during RTX 2014 that he had such a loaded schedule for the expo that it gave him virtually no free time.
- X Must Not Win: Despite a lot of Let's Plays ending with him far in last place due to trolling and ineptitude, if there's a measure of Gavin coming close to victory, the others will drop what they're doing to make sure he doesn't win. This toned down later on.
Jack: Gavin not winning is almost better than winning.
- It's especially noticeable in the Worms Let's Plays. The others often ignore greater threats (Ray and Michael, who've won more games that Gavin and Geoff) to beat the shit out of Gavin's worms.