Young & Hungry
is a 2014 sitcom comedy show airing on ABC Family
, with Ashley Tisdale
as the executive producer. It stars young food blogger and poor woman Gabi Diamond
) becoming the new personal chef for the young tech millionaire Josh Kaminski (Jonathan Sadowski
). Alongside the two main characters are Gabi's best friend and ambitious banking inter Sofia Rodriguez (Aimee Carrero
), Josh's gay personal aide Elliot Park (Rex Lee
) and housekeeper Yolanda (Kym Whitley
The premise of the story is this: food blogger Gabi finds a job as the personal chef for Josh in order to get out of poverty with her friend Sofia. Using some incredible skills that allow her to tell what people around her would like to eat the most, she proves herself to Josh (with a simple grilled cheese sandwich he found exquisite). Unfortunately, Josh's aide Elliot would rather prefer Josh to have a famous chef instead of a unheard of blonde girl like Gabi, so she decides to truly prove herself to Josh, while also avoiding any personal feelings and advances she develops for him with their ridiculously high chemistry. Hilarity Ensues
- The Alleged Car: Gabi's car in "Young and Carless" is revealed to be this.
- Alpha Bitch: Caroline. She has a jerkish attitude that isn't Played for Laughs like Elliot and is quick to blame Gabi about anything shady that happens to her.
- Benevolent Boss: Josh is this big time.
- This gets him into trouble in "Young and Carless" when he trades in Gabi's broken down car for a newer used one with him paying the difference out of pocket. He ends up not realizing that Gabi's mother gave the car to her shortly before she died. He's even willing to pay up to $30,000 to fix his mistake but Gabi won't let him.
- Birds of a Feather: Josh and Gabi share so much in common that they'd make the perfect couple. The man is in love with another woman, unfortunately.
- Camp Gay: Elliot
- Deadpan Snarker: Elliot, and sometimes Yolanda or Sofia.
- Determinator: Much of the humor and drama of the show is built around Gabi's determination to make a great impression on Josh, not let their embarrassing one-night fling become problematic in their relationship or professional lives, and her willingness to make it (or at least keep her job and income) in the field she has passion for and talent in, even as the odds are stacked against her (Eliot's meddling and Caroline's manipulating don't help matters). The fact that she and her roommate Sofia are close to poverty and barely scraping by adds to Gabi's desperation.
- Downer Ending: In the finale, just after Josh breaks up with Caroline, he runs towards Gabi's apartment, only to find Cooper got there first.
- Dumb Blonde: Elliot's treatment of Gabi can be described as this. He sees her as a dumb girl, probably because he wants her away ASAP.
- Enemy Mine: A variation of the trope happens between Caroline and Sofia quickly becoming friends. Even after it's revealed that Sofia was just faking being Cooper's girlfriend to keep his relationship with Gabi a secret, Caroline forgives her just because she was super devious about the fake dating. Caroline then visits Gabi and Sofia's rundown apartment which disgusts her and says nothing else to her as she leaves.
- Geeky Turn-On: Caroline will pretty much forgive anything Josh does that looks heinous if he manages to turn her on, be it by cheating on her for a little while or forcibly being demanding and controlling to her.
- Genki Girl: Gabi has elements of this at times.
- Gossip Evolution: The plot in "Young and Pregnant." Gabi's (messed up) pregnancy test winds up in the trash, which is found by Yolanda who thinks Caroline is pregnant with Josh's baby. Ironically, elsewhere, Josh winds up mishearing Caroline's talk over the phone with his father saying she has a baby for Josh, when in truth the baby she was talking about was a pony named Juju Jr as a gift for Josh.
- Gossipy Hens: Yolanda and Elliot (who's gay and fits with the trope's common gender) practically compete with each other to see who gets the most gossips.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: All the post-pilot episode titles begin with "Young and..."
- Incompatible Orientation: There's been further and further hints in the first season that Elliot has a crush on Josh and is coming on to him. Some Hilarity Ensues as Josh deflects and sidesteps all of Elliot's advances. May even explain Elliot's resentment over Gabi.
- In Love with Love: A Discussed Trope in the season 1 finale of Young & Hungry, as Gabi, speaking to Sofia while preparing Josh's wedding to Caroline, discusses her ideal romantic relationship as being like the ending scenes in Pretty Woman. Cooper, similarly to Richard Gere's character in the movie, runs through the airport, comes back to Gabi's house to make it up to her, kisses her in the living room, too late for Josh, who comes to Gabi's window in the rain seconds too late to witness this, having realized Gabi is the true love of his life.
- Jerkass: Elliot.
- Just Friends: Gabi and Cooper's relationship ultimately falls into this when either can't keep their relationship afloat due to Josh's dislike for co-workers dating. Josh does allow her to keep dating Cooper, though it's already too late to mend things.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Logan, played by Ashley Tisdale in the episode "Young and Lesbian."
- Meaningful Name: Gabi likes to talk a lot.
- Once an Episode: Gabi will usually make a joke about she's poor, probably more than once an episode.
- Papa Wolf: Josh disguises his insecurity for seeing Gabi with other men by acting like the trope.
- Sassy Black Woman: Yolanda. Thankfully, she supports Gabi, unlike Elliot.
- Supreme Chef: Gabi. If you're thinking about eating grilled cheese, she will guess correctly.
- Team Mom: Yolanda is motherly to both Josh and Gabi.
- Twofer Token Minority: Both Elliot (gay and Asian) and Yolanda (older and black) mention this when Josh buys Gabi a new car.
- Vitriolic Best Buds. Yolanda and Elliot love to bicker with each other but love to also share gossip.
- There's some hints that Elliot is warming up to Gabi.
- Your Cheating Heart: At the drop of a hat, Gabi has sex with her boss after consoling him when he thinks his girlfriend dumped him. Later, this is averted spectacularly when Caroline explains she slept with someone else, and then Josh also explains he slept with someone else... which turns her on and rekindles her love with him, which she is so aware about and feels she's strange. Then spectacularly subverted with Josh thinking it's best if she didn't know it was the chef he just hired that he slept with. The second episode deals with him trying to keep the security footage from her.
- Zany Scheme: Gabi hatches a new one in virtually every episode.