"That's a crock of shit!"
The most environmentally destructive
film with a Green Aesop
, who also directed and co-produced (it was his first film after Under Siege
), is Forrest Taft. In the beginning of the film, he is working as a contractor for Aegis Energy, putting out an oil rig fire in Alaska. With large explosives. Hugh Palmer who is in charge of running the rig is blaming the oil company (Aegis), saying they supplied faulty protectors. Forrest scoffs at this at the time as he blows up the burning rig, but notes that they were
faulty protectors—only, of course, he blew up that evidence.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Infamous live action example.
- Badass: Steven Seagal's role, Forrest Taft.
- Boring Invincible Hero: Typical Seagal.
- Broken Aesop: The film is supposed to have a Green Aesop, yet Fridge Logic says that destroying an oil rig would cause far more environmental damage than simply letting it run.
- Also, it portrays the oil company as exploiting the natives. But it also says they have a contract... generally, those contracts include paying out dividends to the original owners of the mineral rights. It should however, be pointed out that the rig was in fact constructed wholly of faulty parts. letting the rig come online would've resulted in a catastrophic oil spill of a greater magnitude than the one the film starts with. In this instance, destroying the rig WAS the lesser of two evils.
- Character Filibuster: Multiple.
- The Chosen One: Whether Forrest wants it or not.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Jennings.
- Kick the Dog: Multiple.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: The film contains several drawn-out torture scenes, such as when Forrest's friend Hugh is beaten with a pipe cutter. Not just on the part of the villains though; Forrest has several scenes where he continues to bully people even when he's already beaten them, such as a very lengthy and painful fight in the bar. And, as Film Brain pointed out, Forrest murders Jennings at the end of the movie, even though he was unarmed, outmatched, and totally unable to defend himself.
- Jennings may have lived had he not told Forest he didn't have the guts to finish him.
- Magical Computer: Multiple.
- Mega Corp.: Aegis
- Meaningful Name: "Forrest". See Gaia's Vengeance.
- Mighty Whitey: Forrest Taft.
- Never Found the Body: Why Jennings believes Forrest is alive.
- Non-Action Big Bad: Jennings