Female comedy pop duo consisting of Riki "Garfunkel" Lindhome
and Kate "Oates" Micucci. They met at the Upright Theatre in Los Angeles and named their band after "Pop's most famous second bananas" (Art Garfunkel of Simon & Garfunkel
and John Oates of Hall & Oates).
They write their own songs which make free use of the vernacular, with titles such as "This Party Just took a turn for the Douche" and "Fuck you" (which featured on Scrubs
bowdlerized as "Screw You"). They also comment on current events, such as "Sex with Ducks" (a reply to Pat Robertson's comment that if same-sex marriage were permitted, why not bestiality) and "Why isn't there more Fucking on this Island?" (a reference to LOST
). They've even parodied one of their own songs with I would Never Dissect a Ewe
(as Simon & Hall!), a take off of I Would Never Have Sex With You
- All Women Are Lustful / All Women Are Prudes: The difficulty of women caught between these two extremes is a common theme in their songs.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: 29/31
''"Everything happens for a reason"
"What about the Haitian earthquake, or cellulite on skinny women?"
- Cargo Ship: "Go Kart Racing"
- Christmas Cake: Played with in 29/31. The subject of the song at 29:
I've got so much charisma and so many options
It's nice to always have my pick
- Drugs Are Bad: Subverted in "Weed Card"
- Experimented in College: "The College Try".
- Genki Girls: Very cute and upbeat... no matter how dark the subject matter of their songs gets (and yes, it can get pretty dark).
- I Hate Past Me / Future Me Scares Me: In "29/31".
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Averted.
- Moment Killer: "Me, You, and Steve"
- My New Gift Is Lame: "Present Face" is about the awkward facial expressions people make while pretending to like a gift that they actually hate. Also, one of the gifts shown in the video appears to be a Home Made Sweater From Hell.
- Precision F-Strike: In "The Fade Away"
We pretend to ourselves it's the nice thing to do
To let you down gently by just NOT FUCKING TELLING YOU
There's loopholes and exemptions
And children to exploit
So give them special tax breaks
Go fuck yourself, Detroit!
- Protest Song: Of the silly kind, true, but unmistakably so in "Sex With Ducks" and "Save The Rich".
- Song Parody
- Technical Virgin: "The Loophole"
Fuck me in the ass 'cause I love Jesus!
- Too Much Information: From "Year End Letter":
A form letter is the perfect place to announce your divorce
(Sorry Charlie left you)
Do I want a detailed description of you passing kidney stones, well of course!
(I'm gonna go throw up now)
- Transparent Closet: "Gay Boyfriend".
- Who's Your Daddy?: "Pregnant Women Are Smug" features a hilarious lyric about just this.