Old School Building
One of the staples of school settings in anime and manga is the Old School Building (Kyuukousha
), an old wooden building (or wing) on the grounds that is often used as storage, for clubrooms, or just left abandoned, seemingly left behind when the rest of the school was at some point renovated or rebuilt. If derelict it is most likely haunted (or believed to be), so will be the subject of at least one of The Seven Mysteries
and may be used for Kimodameshi
Not related to building things the old way, without concrete and lift cranes
Anime and Manga
- Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
- Ghost Hunt - Mai meets Naru when he is investigating the OSB at her school.
- Ghost Stories
- GJ-bu - School clubs are located in one of these. As a result, the GJ Club's clubroom has no cooling nor warming, and leaks when it rains.
- The Kindaichi Case Files - In "Smoke and Mirrors", someone trying to hide a Dark Secret in an old school building commits several murders to keep the truth from coming to light.
- Maburaho - Destroyed in episode 13.
- Manabi Straight! - The student council re-opens and renovates the OSB after the original council room is destroyed by lightning.
- Nurarihyon No Mago
- Mahou Sensei Negima! - In the first anime this is the setting for the "kiss catch" game.
- Ore-sama Teacher
- To Love-Ru - an extremely dilapidated version used for an illicit kimodameshi.
- Uta Kata - The show starts with Ichika and friends cleaning the OSB (which is rather pointless since it is demolished not long after).
- Comic Party Revolution
- The climax of the sixth Kara no Kyoukai movie takes place in the abandoned school building of the Reien Girls' Academy.
- Higanbana No Saku Yoru Ni - This is the building where Marie is raped by her teacher in the first story ; and her "house" after she becomes a yōkai.
- Corpse Party has a haunted old school as the main setting. That school itself contains two buildings, one of which (the wing that disappears and reappears seemingly at random) is in a noticeably older architectural style. It's where Sachiko and her mother were murdered in 1953.