open/close all folders
The Abridged Series
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series: Marik asks for a drum roll. Several times. Then the drum roll goes on too long and he has to ask for it to stop.
- Naruto: The Abridged Comedy Fandub Spoof Series Show: "Ooh, a real drumroll, nice."
Live Action TV
- Late Show with David Letterman: When someone is about to perform a stunt, Dave will often ask the drummer to provide a drum roll accompaniment.
- Anytime Dave does the Top Ten list.
- Used unironically on Happy Days when Fonzie set a world record of jumping over 14 garbage cans on a motorcycle.
- Spoofed several times on Beakman's World:
- Used in early playings of the pricing game Hole in One on The Price Is Right.
- Mash: In "White Gold," Colonel Flagg prepares to ram his head into a wooden crate (as part of his façade that his prisoner attacked him).
- In "Smilin' Jack," B.J. affects a drumroll with his lips as he attempts to affect a trick with a hypodermic syringe that Jack did.
- Fairly common in reggae. Bad Brains uses it a bit (Right Brigade and I and I Survive).
- The Smashing Pumpkins use it at the start of Cherub Rock.
- Done by John Densmore during the Doors song, "The Unknown Soldier".
- In the ballet Fancy Free, the music of the Competition Scene begins with a timpani/bass drum roll, and abruptly cuts off at its climax for a long roll on the snare drum that introduces the first of the Three Dance Variations.
- Cabaret begins with a drum roll and cymbal crash announcing the entrance of the Emcee. There is a similar drum roll when the Emcee introduces "Fräulein Sally Bowles" singing the title song, and one more for his last exit.
- In 1776, George Washington's dispatches are always signed "Your Obedient, G. Washington," with a drumroll preceding his name.
- In an episode of Teen Titans, Cyborg requests a drum roll before he unveils the new T-Mobile; Beast Boy obliges by turning into an armadillo and drumming on his belly. He threatens to stop a moment later when Cyborg remarks, "Ladies and gentlemen...and whatever Beast Boy is...".
- In an episode of Rugrats, before giving a demonstration to Tommy and Chuckie, Angelica asks, "May I have a drum roll please?" And she actually gets one from an unseen source. The opening theme also begins with a drum roll.
- Tex Avery's W-B cartoon "Circus Today" has the circus orchestra's drummer perform a drumroll as a high dive artist does his act. The conductor stops him and cues the trumpeter to play "Taps" afterwards.
- Parodied in The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius. Nick asks for a drum roll when he announces that he's going to style his hair without using his hands. Cue an actual drum rolling across the stage.
- It's not rare for emcees at various awards shows to ask for a drum roll, though this usually consists of the audience drumming on their laps.
- If "The Star-Spangled Banner" is being performed by a band, it typically starts with a drum roll.