I am not into that whole, "Well, you don't like my music so I am going to get you!" Who cares? I don't like my music! It's all about being an asshole and not all the testosterone you can handle. Look at me, I am just a skinny little nothing, somebody's grandmother could kill me!Formed in 1997, Mindless Self Indulgence (usually shortened to MSI) was at first described by themselves as 'Industrial Jungle Pussy Punk', but have since denounced the term. It really is hard to describe their music, on the grounds that they never seem to adhere to a single set genre. Basically, they're a rock band.Not usually for kids though, since the majority of their songs involve repeated profanity of some sort.Current Members:
—Jimmy Urine, lead singer
- Jimmy Urine: Main vocalist, song-writer and programmer. The band's name actually came from his first solo album.
- Steve, Righ?: Guitarist, co-writer with Jimmy. Sometimes does vocals, such as "Whipstickagostop" and "Z," and even has some programming credits under his belt.. Has worked with My Chemical Romance on their album Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys.
- LynZ: Bassist from 2002-present. Married to Gerard Way.
- Kitty: Drummer in Mindless Self Indulgence. She plays an acoustic drum kit with backing made up of sampled "loops" for live shows.
- Vanessa YT: Bassist from 1997-2002. Initially, Urine claimed she had left to become an astronaut, later to reply it was to start a family.
- Markus Euringer: Played second guitar and electronics during the band's early years.
- Pink (recorded/written initially between 1990-1997, released remastered and rerecorded in 2015)
- Tight (1999, reissued 2011 with bonus content as "Tighter")
- Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy (2000)
- You'll Rebel To Anything (2005, reissued 2008)
- If (2008)
- How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence (2013)
- A Hell of a Time: 5TR82H3LL.I'm going straight to hellAnd it was fucking worth it, man!
- Anything That Moves: Jimmy Urine. When asked about sexuality once, he made a comment about not caring what revs his engine, be it a man, a woman, or a chicken.
- Ass Shove: In an early show, Jimmy jammed a wad of toilet paper into his butt, then threw it into the crowd, while yelling "CLONE ME!"
- Audience Participation: On the intro song "Backmask," Jimmy tells the audience "When I say we, you say suck! We!" "Suck!" "We!" "Suck!" "WHEN I SAY WE, YOU SAY SUCK! WE!" "SUCK!" "WE!" "SUCK!" "DICK."
- Also frequently employed in live performances of "Faggot;" Jimmy usually allows the audience to sing the chorus, and he'll jump in for the fast-paced verses. On occasion, an audience member will be called onto the stage to sing into the mic.
- Black Comedy: MSI's brand of humor is pretty sick. "Panty Shot" is particularly infamous.
- Call Back: A lot, concerning a side project of Jimmy and Steve, called the Left Rights;
"Bitches love me 'cuz they know that I can BONK!"
- The leitmotif of "Free Porn" is a loop taken from "Bullshit."
- Several of the artists who did videos for them on "If" and "You'll Rebel To Anything" were involved with the side-project's promotion.
- Heck, for a non-Left Rights example: The opening and closing scenes of "Shut Me Up" were scored with a different loop from "Bullshit."
- Also, in their cover of "La-Di Da-Di", they referenced "Bitches":
"You ain't no operator, so who the fuck are you, then?!""No need to ask..." and later "When you look me upside down..."
- The Left-Rights song "Why You In My Phyzical" has not one, but TWO shout-outs to MSI, from "Tornado" and "I Hate Jimmy Page" respectively:
"Who like that song 'five year-old panty shot?' Yeah, yeah, that could be a real big record..."
- "I Hate Jimmy Page" contains a reference to "Panty Shot," then an obscure song that had no officially released recordings:
Their video for "Personal Jesus" has the Frankenstein Girls monster girl peeking over a corner at one point.
- Speaking of The Left Rights, "Deuce Courtesans and a Lambs Tail of Snuff" from their second album "Bad Choices Made Easy" is this trope, literally, reversed, consisting of lyrics from "2 Hookers And An Eight Ball" from "You'll Rebel To Anything" read in backwards order.
- Camp Gay: Urine is known to mock this on stage.
- Captain Obvious/Shaped Like Itself: "M."
- Careful with That Axe: Jeez. Possibly too many to list them all, since Jimmy has quite the vocal range. Some examples:
- Whipstickagostop, the last track on Frankenstein Girls. Basically a musical Eldritch Abomination.
- Step Up, Ghetto Blaster is in a five-four meter, screaming screaming screaming and has some very disturbing baby-like noises in the end.
- I Hate Jimmy Page features screaming, squealing, moaning, and lots of different voices.
- Chick Magnet:Bitches love me 'cus they know that I can FUCK!
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Steve, Righ? was this in the early years.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Earlier stuff especially.
- Crossover: With We Are the Strange. The music video for Animal takes place in the same universe.
- Defying the Censors:
- The backside of the album Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy has every single vowel in every song title censored with an asterisk. Along with this quote:It's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness. - Lenny Bruce
- Shut Me Up is a big rant on how you need to censor and water down your songs to make them appeal to a larger audience.
- The backside of the album Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy has every single vowel in every song title censored with an asterisk. Along with this quote:
- Depraved Bisexual: Jimmy Urine.
- Drugs Are Good: At least for making you popular.Jimmy: Always, always, always talk about drugs in you songs. Whether you do them or not, the kids love it!
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first incarnation of the band from 1995. Closer to 90s Industrial than the weirdness of later years.
- Eye Scream: 32 bit Sega Genesis-style eye gouging in the video for "Personal Jesus".
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: At least according to them.
- Faux Yay: First for shock, then for humor.
- Gayngst: Faggot, Royally Fucked and 5TR82H3LL.
- Groin Attack: Allegedly, Jimmy once attempted to light his junk on fire live.
- Growing Up Sucks: Hey Tomorrow, Fuck You and Your Friend Yesterday and You're No Fun Anymore, Mark Trezona.
- Hypocritical Humor: From a sticker found on the clean version of "Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy:"this recording has been carefully wiped clean and has absolutely no filthy words like FUCK so that you can play it at your radio facility. now hurry the fuck up and play the fucking thing.
- I Can't Believe It's Not Heroin: Played for Laughs; during some concerts while playing "Planet of the Apes," Jimmy would open Steve,'s guitar solo by announcing he didn't not need the microphone, getting increasingly desperate the longer he was without it, and lunging towards it partway through the solo. In some cases, he even jabbed it into his arm while feigning ecstasy.
- Jimmy seems to eat enough sugar (he's noted a specific fondness for Cherry Coca-Cola and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups) to explain his extremely high energy, ADHD-like actions on stage. During some interviews, he seems to drink enough soda to go through several cans.
- Jimmy's snorted Pixie Stix on stage on multiple occasions.
- Indecipherable Lyrics: The beginning of "La-Di Da-Di."
- During the second verse of their song "Played," Jimmy starts rapping incoherent gibberish for the rest of the verse.
- Intentionally Awkward Title: Oh so many. "Masturbates", "If I Only Didn't Want To F The Ones Who Didnt Want To F Me" and "Dicks are for my Friends", to name a few.
- Intercourse with You: "Get It Up.""I wanna make some babies
I wanna get it on
I wanna make you horny
But I can't get it up"
- In the Style of...: Jhonen Vasquez directed the music video for Shut Me Up.... It shows.
- Keet: Jimmy.
- Large Ham: Jimmy Urine, Steve, Righ?, and (to an extent) Lyn-Z during live performances. They jump around, make random vocalizations, stage dive, stand on (and leap off of) stage equipment, and perform all sorts of other antics.
- Their social media, specifically their Facebook, is almost all sarcastic posts in all caps.
- Last Note Nightmare:
I never noticedNo, never noticedYou're so amazingSo amazing!I never said itNo, never said itYou're suffocatingSuffocating!I never noticedNo, never noticed
- Straight To Video.
I'm the one who HATES ME SO MUCH
- Vanity gets more and more warped and glitchy in the end.
- Lolicon: "Panty Shot."
- Long Runner Lineup: Type 2
- Looped Lyrics: "Dicks Are For My Friends."
- Lyrical Cold Open: One of the best ever, from "Witness": "SON OF A BITCH!!!"
- Metal Scream: "Hate all the people you love in a river of blood, and don't forget the guns; you're gonna need 'em to DE-STROOOOOOOOOOY"
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They cross between 5 and 7.
- Mohs Scale of Lyrical Hardness: However, for this other scale, they are at a whole 11. How come they're kinda popular between videogame developers despite these graphic lyrics is to anyone's guess. "Backmask" and "Straight To Video" have the most horrid lyrics out of their songs.
All the problems make me wanna goLike a bad girl straight to videoLittle darling, welcome to the showYou're a FAILURE played in stereo!
- Here is the chorus of "Straight To Video":
- Motor Mouth/Stop and Go: Done in several songs such as "Stupid MF," "Like Shit," and "Dickface."
- Minimalistic Cover Art: On the cover for three editions of If: it's just the title with some red splatters on paper.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Their style combined, at various points in their career, punk rock, shock rock, drum and bass, hip-hop, industrial, metal, synth-pop, dance, and even noise rock.
- The New Rock & Roll: Subverted with intent to parody. Play "Backmask" backwards,and you hear a middle-aged mother telling the listener to do things like "Go to church", "Do your homework" and "Eat your vegetables". Ironically, the last phrase you'd hear playing the song forwards is "Don't listen to this song" backwards
- N-Word Privileges: Averted on occasion, but without the racist overtones.
- The Not Remix: Pink not only remixes and remasters most of the tracks Little Jimmy Urine recorded at 22, but also adds new vocals and instrumentation in several places from now 41 year old Jimmy Urine.
- Panty Shot: They have a song with this trope as its title.
- Parental Incest: In "Royally Fucked"."Mommy, daddy, why don't you finger me too?"
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: "DICKS! ARE! FOR! MY! FRIENDS!"
- Urine's vocals in the verses of "CASIO" are also this trope.
- Rap Metal: "Bitches" and "Bring The Pain".
- Recycled Soundtrack: The bonus track "I Am Not Here To Make Any Friends" from How I Learned... is an edited studio version of the final boss theme from Lollipop Chainsaw.
- Refuge in Audacity: What they've been doing currently.
- Religion Rant Song: "For The Love of God" from Pink, which is an angry rant about religion preying on the poor and weak. Also from the same album "Do Unto Others"
- Sampling: By the barrel, when they started.
- Screw Yourself: From "Make Me Cum:"''Me on top"Getting fucked, by myselfIn and out
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Employed in many songs; it's especially noticeable during live performances where Jimmy's singing can be sporadic at times.
- Self-Deprecation: Oh, so much of it.
Two hookers and an eight Ball
- One show had a noticeable guitar flub which prompted Jimmy, without missing a beat, to add "oop, should've practiced."
- "I Hate Jimmy Page" may be less about him and more about the band.
- "Joke" basically refers to the band as such, adding "it's all downhill from here."
- Their song 2 Hookers and an Eight Ball opens with these lyrics
Can you believe that I write this shit?
Two hookers and an eight ball
Just so stupid people will think I am cool?
- Self-Titled Album: Jimmy Urine's little-known solo album (Steve, Righ? did collaborate for the song "Bed of Roses") Mindless Self Indulgence provided the title for the band.
- Shout-Out: Multiple:
- The speaker's antics on Golden I resemble the sort that GG Allin built his name on.
- Soprano and Gravel: Jimmy jumps from piercingly high falsetto to a guttural growl on a regular basis.
- Stage Names
- Studio Chatter:
Steve,: I lost my pick in the last part.Kitty: That was... That was the best we're gonna do.
- The end of "Diabolical:
Steve,: I gotta pee, man.
- From Whipstickagostop:
- In the beginning of Device, paired with distorted mechanical noises and effects.
- Suicide Dare: The song "Backmask Warning!" has this as it's central theme, with the chorus encouraging the listener to go kill themselves, with the verses featuring all kinds of horrific imagery that presumably would also encourage suicide:Hate and devour the young and the weaker ones, and dont forget the gunsYou're gonna need em to go kill yourselfAll the people you love in a river of bloodAnd dont forget the gunsYou're gonna need em to DESTROY
- Take That: "F"Jimmy: Who ya callin' a faggot? Yo, [...] while you're out gay-bashing, I'm gonna be at your house fucking your girlfriend. In the ass!
- Take That, Audience!: The entirety of "You'll Rebel To Anything (As Long As It's Not Challenging)" is one long one to angsty emo kids.
"Should I talk slower like you're a retard?
- Also mocks people who can't keep up with his fast paced singing in Stupid MF.
Should I talk slower like you're retarded?"
- Take That, Us: Not above making fun of this. Especially in "2 Hookers and an 8 Ball."
- Tempting Fate: One trademark aspect of Jimmy's get-up is a jacket with one phrase or another (it varies) written on the back. One of the phrases? "Kick Me."
- Troubled Abuser: "Slim". A very disturbing song consisting of a loop of short sound clips and drums as an instrumental and lyrics about an abuser lamenting their problems and reasons for what they do.It's my own fault that I tied the noose'Cause I cannot love what I want to abuse
- Who Writes This Crap?!: In "2 Hookers and an 8 Ball": "Can you believe that I write this shit" (Basically the whole song, too.)
- "Everybody say 'we want our money back!'""And, cut."