Creator / Lin-Manuel Miranda
Mr Sondheim, look, I made a hat! Where there never was a hat! It's a Latin hat at that!
(born January 16, 1980) is an American composer, lyricist, librettist, rapper and actor
of Puerto Rican descent. He is best known for creating (and starring in) the Broadway musicals In the Heights
(along with its companion album, The Hamilton Mixtape
) and his songwriting work on Disney's Moana
. He's also in line to write music for a future Disney movie, and plays a Canon Foreigner
in Mary Poppins Returns
So far he's won a Pulitzer
, an Emmy, a Grammy
, and a Tony, as well as a MacArthur "Genius Grant."
All he needs is an Oscar
, and he'll be only the third person evernote
to become a PEGOT
, after Richard Rodgers
and Marvin Hamlisch
He is also very active on Twitter.
- Adorkable: Dear god, the man is a ray of sunshine. He's genuinely delighted by fan content made of his work, constantly interacts with people on Twitter, and still fanboys over everyone (even though he's pretty darn famous himself).
- Added Alliterative Appeal: A staple of his work, with lines like "rebels at a revel", "a middle of a military mess", etc.
- As Himself:
- Cameoed in an episode of the musical dramedy Smash.
- Also made a cameo in Difficult People, confronting Billy Eichner for faking a blurb from him saying Eichner's character's play is "better than Hamilton."
Billy: Can I get tickets to Hamilton?
- Berserk Button: Doesn't have too many, as he's a generally even-tempered guy, but this video gives the impression that he's really getting sick of being asked to freestyle in every single interview and talk show appearance.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Holy crap. He's one of the nicest celebrities on Twitter, and even when he gets political he never directly attacks anyone. Then President Trump blamed San Juan's mayor for Puerto Rico's post-Hurricane Maria state after she attacked him for not doing enough to help, and Miranda snapped.
You're going straight to hell, @realDonaldTrump.
No long lines for you.
Someone will say, "Right this way, sir."
They'll clear a path.
- Creator Thumbprint: Themes of immigration and legacy feature prominiently in his work.
- Genre-Busting: His musicals are notable for mixing hip-hop, rap, and Latin music together with more standard showtune fare.
- Gratuitous French: In a tweet from 2013, Lin complains that Lafayette "wants" to rap in French, and that he has to go learn French. While it only pops up once in Hamilton, it comes back in Moana during Shiny, when Tamatoa inexplicably says a line in French despite being a crab from the realm of monsters located somewhere underneath the Pacific.
- Gratuitous Spanish: As seen in his acceptance speeches, Twitter feed, and In the Heights (Justified Trope, since it's a musical about the Dominican neighborhood of Washington Heights).
- Ink-Suit Actor: The redesigned Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera of DuckTales (2017) basically looks like Lin in duck form.
- Mama's Boy: Miranda is extremely close with his parents, as evidenced by their appearing with him in several of his TV interviews. He even took his mother to the Oscars instead of, say, his wife (although his wife was presumably okay with it).