"The McElroy brothers are not experts, and their advice should never be followed. Travis insists he's a sexpert, but if there's a degree on his wall, I haven't seen it. Also, this show isn't for kids, which I mention only so the babies out there will know how cool they are for listening. What's up, you cool baby?"My Brother, My Brother, & Me, often abbreviated MBMBaMnote , is a comedy podcast that describes itself as "an advice show for the modren era". The titular brothers (Justin, Travis and Griffin McElroy) take questions from their listeners and try their best to help them out with their personal problems. As the disclaimer that opens each show notes, this advice often isn't the greatest. Frequently, one of the brothers will say something that'll send the three of them off on a tangent of non-sequiturs. Their listeners will also sometimes submit questions found on Yahoo Answers (a service they are convinced is filled with "the terrible dregs of humanity"), and will mock them while still trying to help them out.A sampler can be found here.Has nothing to do with My Brother And Me.
—Professional voice actor Bob Ball, reading the opening disclaimer
This podcast contains these tropes:
- Ambiguous Syntax: One Yahoo question brought on some brief confusion as to whether it referred to "cat people" (people who prefer cats as pets) or "cat-people."
- Catchphrase: "You want a yahoo?"
- Creepy Doll: There's a running gag involving the existence and sale of haunted dolls.
- Don't Try This at Home
- Once per Episode:
Justin: I'm your oldest brother, Justin.Travis: I'm your middlest brother, Travis.Griffin: And I'm your SWEET baby brother, Griffin.
- The brothers introducing themselves with statements varied around:
- Following episode 10, Justin signs off every episode with "Kiss your dad square on the lips".
- Just before the sign-off, Griffon reads one final Yahoo question that inevitably leaves Justin and Travis laughing hysterically.
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: The first episode of The Adventure Zone was released as part of MBMBaM.
- Running Gag:
Justin: Mr. Ed? More like Mr. Dead. We got 'em. Peace out horses, I hate you. Obama 2012!
- The subject of ghosts watching people having sex seems to come up with unsettling frequency.
- Also, horses. (Usually something terrible happens to the horses.)
- "Jack Disease."
- Shout-Out: One of the Yahoo Answers questions submitted asked for help naming a Warrior Cats character.
- Urban Legend Love Life: Travis insists he's a sexpert, but if there's a degree on his wall, I haven't seen it.
Kiss your dad square on the lips!