My Brother and Me
is a Kid Com
that ran for only one season (1994-1995) on Nickelodeon
. The star is Alfred "Alfie" Parker, the Straight Man
older brother, Derek "Dee Dee" Parker, the Annoying Younger Sibling
, and their bored sister Melanie. Alfie's best friend is Milton "Goo" Berry, an Ace
who often tries to sweet-talk the uninterested Melanie. Their parents, Roger and Jennifer Parker, are your typical sitcom parents.
It is a typical slice of life
show, with the main conflicts being Alfie and Goo's struggle with Dee Dee and his friends, Goo's unrequited love for Melanie and disdain for her friend Deonne, and the brothers' attempts to keep out of trouble with their parents.
This work provides examples of:
- And a Diet Coke: Contained a variant. Roger once made a comically large submarine sandwich for lunch that he prepared to eat all by himself and wash down with root beer. Then, after judging the sandwich's weight, Roger decides to settle on diet root beer, instead.
- Arch Enemies: Goo and Deonne, except in the case of his Easy Amnesia.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Dee Dee was the annoying sibling to Alfie, and Alfie and Dee Dee were the annoying siblings to oldest child Melanie.
- Big Brother Bully: Alfie could be this to Dee Dee at times.
- Bizarre Taste in Food: All three of the Parker children. Melanie puts mustard on a cheese sandwich, Alfie puts mayonnaise on raisin bread, and Dee Dee puts ketchup on a PB&J sandwich.
- But Not Too Black: Melanie is much lighter skinned than the rest of her family.
- Catch Phrase: Donnell's "Don't hold your breath!"
- It must run in the family.
- "You're a JERK, Goo!"
- Comical Overreacting: Deonne's shtick.
- Completely Missing the Point: When Alfie gets cut from the basketball team for his ball hogging antics, his dad tried to cheer him up with an analogy of Michael Jordan:
Dad: Michael Jordan got cut from his high school basketball team, and look at him now!
- Easy Amnesia: Goo gets hit in the head by a failed basketball pass by Alfie, which alters his personality for the weekend. Instead of being called Goo, he wanted Alfie to call him Milton, his real name. Instead of crushing on Melanie, he goes for Deonne. The biggest irritation to Alfie, beside calling him Alfred constantly, is that he prefers not to procrastinate with his homework, and prefers to work all weekend rather than enjoy the weekend festivities. Of course, Goo gets better by episode's end, courtesy of another bonk to the head.
- Embarrassing First Name: Goo's real name is Milton.
- Fat Best Friend: Goo.
- The Ghost: Uncle Lawrence.
- And Deonne's "boyfriend", Tim.
- Hypocritical Humor: In one episode, while Goo and Alfie are looking for Dee Dee, Ms. Pigney, the owner of the comic shop, asks, "Does he have two friends?" to which Goo replies, "Yeah, and only two friends." Given that Goo's only apparent friend is Alfie...
- Imagine Spot: The "Goo Punch" scene.
- Alfie retorts with one of his own: "Space Alfies."
- Jerk Ass: Goo. Melanie was this along the lines of being an Insufferable Genius. Alfie and Donnell were this on occasion, as well. Come to think of it, almost every main character (and Ms. Pigney) were this in varying degrees.
- "Jump Off a Bridge" Rebuttal
- Local Hangout: The comic shop.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Goo hates being called by his real name.
- This also must run in his family, as his cousins are named Moo and Boo.
- Preppy Name: Most of the actors, in real life.
- Real Person Cameo: Several basketball players appeared on the show.
- Running Gag: Ms. Pigney occasionally kicks out Dee Dee and his two friends out of the comic shop.
- Roger has a habit of telling his life stories, and the family will run off so they won't hear them.
"You gotta come down sometime!"
- Deonne's tendency to over-exaggerate the potential consequences of anything, usually involving her boyfriend "Tim".
- Also, Goo making fun of Deonne, especially her "fake" hair.
"Zero, one, two, three, sure looks like a weave to me. It's phony. Yeah, yeah, it's phony!"
- School Play: Robin Hood.
- Short Runners: Sadly, this is a classic case of a show not outlasting its original thirteen episode order.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Alfie and Goo.
- Special Guest: NBA player Kendall Gill.
- íThree Amigos!: Dee Dee, Donnell, and Harry.
- Token White: Harry.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Roger has a craving for gumbo.
- Unintentional Period Piece: Anyone can see that this show is a loving product of the mid-1990s.
- When I Was Your Age: Roger is a huge fan of this trope.