"History merely repeats itself. It has all been done before. Nothing under the sun is truly new."Any tropes that predate the election of John F. Kennedy to the U.S. Presidency (November 1960), divided by period:
- Older Than Dirt - Predating the Greek alphabet (circa 800 BC).
- Older Than Feudalism - First seen between the invention of the Greek alphabet (c. 800 BC) and the fall of the Roman Empire (476 AD).
- Older Than Print - First seen between the end of the Western Roman Empire (476) and the invention of the printing press (1439).
- Older Than Steam - First seen between the invention of printing press (1439) and the steam engine (1698).
- Older Than Radio - First seen between the invention of the steam engine (1698) and the radio (1890).
- Older than Television - First seen between the invention of the radio (1890) and the start of mass television (1939).
- Classic TV - Tropes originating in TV itself, between 1940 and 1960, such as SpaceX
- Older Than the NES - Predating the introduction of the Nintendo Entertainment System in the U.S. (1985). A special cutoff date for video game tropes, since they're even more recent than television.