is what happens when a creature that isn't exactly "attractive" somehow manages to be adorable. Normally, these little guys still have some kind of stereotypical "cute" traits, like oversized eyes or a fat little body.
And then, there's these guys.
They're scary, and meant to be... and they still
, somehow, manage to be adorable.
These little guys may sport Cute Little Fangs
, be Mooks
for the resident Big Bad
, or hail from a Halloween Town
Compare and contrast Ugly Cute
and Killer Rabbit
. May overlap with Adorable Evil Minions
. See also Gonk
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Ciel from Black Butler is your typical Creepy Child yet many find him to be cute.
- Undertaker is one of the creepiest characters in the series. He's also one of the most endearing, and he has loads of fangirls.
- Nefelpitou from Hunter × Hunter Adorably catlike, yet we see him play with the dead heads of his victims and turn dead people into puppets. Also the fact that he's well... evil. His design itself could even count as cute in a scary way.
- Kukuru from Joshiraku is this during her more sane moments.
- Maria, a 9 year old girl who speaks and acts like she's 5, has this feel in Umineko no Naku Koro ni − moreso in the sound novel where she has sleepy eyes… her cute part is intermittent though.
- What fangirls think of Dr. Stein from Soul Eater.
- Nemu Kurotsuchi from Bleach.
- Either Russia or Belarus from Hetalia, depending on the fans you're talking to.
- Shino Aburame from Naruto Taken Up to Eleven in fan-works.
- Nightcrawler from X-Men, and his animated incarnations. He physically resembles a demon, but he has this fun-loving personality that he's hard not to love.
- In Critters, the title critters are little balls of fur with big eyes... and teeth that would make a shark feel insecure.
- Tim Burton's (and Henry Selick's, for that matter) stop-motion films would certainly count. Case in point: Sparky from Frankenweenie, a bull-terrier who's been stitched together and brought back to life via electricity after getting killed by a car.
- Boos of the Mario series. They're roundish little Bedsheet Ghosts with a mouthful of fangs and beady eyes. They also stick their tongues out like Bratty Half Pints, and let out a hilariously high-pitched cackle when they spot you.
- The Witch from Left 4 Dead, who was intended as the scariest zombie of them all, but receives a lot of love and fanart from the base.
- Creepers from Minecraft. They look like screaming zombie cacti, but they're pretty much the game's mascot. You can even buy Creeper plushies that go "SSSSSSSSSSSS" when you squeeze them.
- Flandre Scarlet from Touhou.
- MapleStory: Zombie Mushrooms, Death Teddies, heck, half the undead creatures qualify as do the aliens. Particularly unsettling in the case of the Death Teddies... They're built in a factory that specializes in animated plush toys, and robots seem to be assigned to work on this project. At the lower levels, one can assume that such toys have been discarded due to their beat up appearance, and whatever animated them has warped the toys horribly turning them into undead monsters. Let this sink in for awhile, then look at how cute these things still are despite having giant ghosts on their back.
- BlazBlue has Taokaka (and the other Kaka, especially the kittens); Personality-wise she's your typical Genki Girl Cat Girl, who just happens to wear a hood with only glowing eyes and More Teeth Than The Osmond Family visible.
- Some of the notable creatures you can encounter in Yume Nikki fit. Uboa, for example, is an event that can only be triggered by flicking the lights on and off in a specific room with an NPC. While jarring, it's still somewhat cute in its own way, with its big grin and Eyes Always Shut. There's also Monoko, a girl you can encounter in a tunnel. She looks like your average pigtailed schoolgirl. Then you use the stoplight effect...
- The Judge from OFF counts, in many fans' eyes. He's a white cat who can talk (quite articulately, in fact), his verbal tic is a soft purring noise, and he's easily distracted by cat food. But then you see his giant fangs, arched in a smile...
- From Phoenix Wroght Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations, we have Viola Cadaverini, a young woman who is not only cute and pretty, but also very creepy.
- The monsters from Yet Another Fantasy Gamer Comic are more Ugly Cute than they are this. With the possible exception of Jone.
- In Drowtales, drowolath may see demons this way. Especially Discordia and the second glutton (megaspoiler).
- Gunnerkrigg Court frequently employs this as an art style. Even on its donation page.
- Trying Human has Hue, a Grey alien that manages to be SO ADORABLE and yet is meant to be creepy. Also, most notably, the Reptoids. Meant to be human-eating lizard monsters, but come on, they are so freaking cute, especially Quazky. Reptoids come complete with Cute Little Fangs, which are meant to look evil, but somehow manage not to. At all. Your average Trying Human reptoids, in all their adorableness.
- Many, many creatures of Zoophobia come off as this. Take Perci◊, for example.
- The Doomy Adventures Of Irken Doominess: has two psychopathic female irkens named Gar and Melissa who'm are insanely creepy, yet quite adorable.
- Many of Doctor Steel's toys (the Buzzsaw Baby, Psycho Sally, Polly Pukes-A-Lot, the Rabies Babies line, etc.) fall into this category.