Lovecraft has never been so adorable.
Let's face it. We all love Cute
things. Some like Cute for Nostalgia
. Some like cute for... Perverted
reasons. There are even people who think ugly
things are cute!
But sometimes Cute
overlaps with Terror
. Bonus Points
if it's something from an animated work. Can overlap with Killer Rabbit
Compare Grotesque Cute
, Lovecraft Lite
Compare/Contrast Eldritch Abomination
Not to be confused with Cute Is Evil
, but it can overlap.
- The Stitchpunks from 9.
- This is what the people in charge of Heloise's personality in Jimmy Two-Shoes seem to want to portrayed as. It doesn't work
- Practically everyone in Higurashi is cute, but sooner or later they all end up killing one another.
- Elfen Lied. There was a scene where a little girl was in a house, and two firefighters came to get her, but she kills them both on the spot.
- Kamineko from Azumanga Daioh. Sure, he looks cute, but he has a grin that resembles a bear trap and a bite to match. At Times they'll even play what sounds like the theme from Jaws when he appears!
- The Cybermat from Doctor Who. It's a little silver thing that scoots around the floor. And then you see the razor-sharp teeth.
- Whateley Universe example: Josie Gilman's cute little black kittycat. It loves to be hugged, it loves to be fed, it... oh my god it's an Eldritch Abomination with a huge gaping maw!!!
- The cuddly stuffed cabbit Generator made for Tennyo. Especially when the claws and fangs pop out.
- Some species of Heartless, Unversed and Dream Eaters from Kingdom Hearts fall into this trope. All are Eldritch Abominations; some happen to be adorable.
- Hazuki from Moon Phase. A cute little girl right? But when the moon comes out and she goes into Luna mode... bad things happen.
- Pokethulhu and Mortasheen display two very different ways to apply this to the Mons genre. The former is full of cute, adorable creatures that love to eat souls, while the latter is full of frightening, hideous monsters that become friendly and loyal when tamed.
- Kirby, at least according to Kirby of the Stars. Also, Gooey from the games, who is a piece of Dark Matter who broke off, turned good, and became Kirby's friend.
- Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Given that he's actually a Starfish Alien with Blue and Orange Morality, and that at one point he eats his own corpse, yeah, he qualifies.
- Nyarko-san! Yes, that is indeed Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos of Lovecraftian fame! She also happens to be a cute teenage girl!
- Desco of Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, currently serving to illustrate this trope. A man-made Eldritch Abomination, she was created because her father is a Mad Scientist and her "older sister" had ambitions to take over the world at the age of 4. Desco herself, besides wanting to make Bis Sis' dream come true, has her own goal of becoming a "Last Boss".
- The FUSB in Brainbent is an Ugly Cute plush abomination (it's supposed to resemble a bee - let's just say it doesn't) that may possess sinister powers.
- When Gozer the Gozerian takes the form of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, it becomes this trope.
- Played with in Monsters, Inc., in which the 'abomination' actually is nothing more than an adorable little two-year-old girl, but the monster society is terrified of human children so views her as an abomination because she's a little two-year-old girl.
- Becquerel and GCAT from Homestuck are a Big Friendly Dog and a cute mischievous cat, respectively, and are also reality bending physical gods.
- Gachnar the Fear Demon from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- Wasurenagumo has a young girl who is actually the Cute Monster Girl daughter of a giant water-spider Yokai. The Downer Ending is that she's just as evil as her mother and she ends up sacrificing her human "friend" to mom as a snack so she can then take said girl's form as her own and, from there, assume her place.