Dr. Ray Stantz: (watching in horror as a destructive Sumerian god stomps around New York City after having been inadvertently summoned by him in the form of a 100ft tall Stay Puft Marshmallow Man) I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never, ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft.Eldritch Abominations are terrifying, incomprehensible, and just plain wrong (the clue's in the 'abomination' bit). There are very few people who'd cuddle up to Cthulhu, or sit down to a nice family viewing of My Neighbor Tsathoggua. There are some works, though, that prefer to make these soul-eating horrors from beyond space and time... kind of cute, actually. Maybe you want to add a little extra spice to your Magical Girlfriend show. Maybe you're really, really into Grotesque Cute, and want to extract humour or horror from the dissonance between your beastie's appearance and what it does. Maybe you want to tone down the horror in order to avoid traumatising and depressing the audience. Maybe you just feel that the various unknowable god-things that crawled from the Cthulhu Mythos got an unfair rep for their unfortunate little habit of visiting death and insanity on entire worlds, and you want to redress the balance. Whatever the case, you've now got one of these. A helpful answer 'why' for Did You Just Romance Cthulhu? See also Cute Is Evil and Creepy Cute. Can overlap with Killer Rabbit. Compare/Contrast Eldritch Abomination.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Hazuki from Moon Phase. A cute little girl right? But when the moon comes out and she goes into Luna mode... bad things happen.
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica:
- Kyubey is something of an inversion. He seems cute at first, but is actually a Starfish Alien with reality-warping powers and Blue and Orange Morality, that at one point eats his own corpse.
- Charlotte looks like a stuffed doll or children's cartoon character, but is just as nasty as any of the other witches, and her appearance marks a turning point in the series.
- Most familiars are small cute chibi things, but they're an aspect of their respective witch with many of their powers (albeit not as strong), and can become an exact copy of that witch if left alone. This is most apparent with Homulily's familiars in Rebellion, seen doing lots of cute things in the background, although they cross into Creepy Cute at times.
- Haiyore! Nyarko-san: Yes, that is indeed Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos of Lovecraftian fame! She also happens to be a cute teenage girl!
- Wasurenagumo has a young girl who is actually the Cute Monster Girl daughter of a giant water-spider Yokai. The Downer Ending is that she's just as evil as her mother and she ends up sacrificing her human "friend" to mom as a snack so she can then take said girl's form as her own and, from there, assume her place.
- Rei and Kaworu from Neon Genesis Evangelion are both eldritch abominations who take the form of cute teenagers.
- The FUSB in Brainbent is an Ugly Cute plush abomination (it's supposed to resemble a bee - let's just say it doesn't) that may possess sinister powers.
- This drawing of Nahatomb from Klonoa was conceived specifically based on the concept of turning the one not-cute nightmare-inducing monster in the game into something small and huggable.
- The Discworld tale "The Importance of Index Cards'' pits one determined Watchman against the ordeal of the encounter with Tshup Aklathep, Infernal Star Toad with A Million Young. Can A.E. Pessimal survive a trip to the Dungeon Dimensions with an unexploded head? He finesses the ordeal in a not-wholly-improbable way and comes back alive, discovering on the way that a dread chthonic entity might sometimes be a little misunderstood. Especially if she's a single parent...
- The My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic fanbase have produced a few of these, such as Thingpone, which is The Thing as a pony and friendly), and Cuddlhu, which is a mass of tentacles (yes those ones) that have inhabited a pony costume in order to make friends. Satyrs, which are the hypothetical offspring of a human and a character from the show debatably count as well, though they tend to lean farther toward the adorable side of the scale.
- The Pokémon fanfic Pickles and Depredation has Joas the Espurr. He is already powerful and cute as an Espurr, but his ability to plunge his opponents into a nightmare realm of Cthulhu ripoffs puts him firmly within the "abomination" category.
- Gachnar the Fear Demon from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Giles: [puts open tome on the table] I should have translated the text under his picture.
Buffy: What does it say?
Giles: "Actual size."
- Rom, the Vacuous Spider and Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos from Bloodborne, they both are Eldritch Abominations, and generally docile unless provoked.
- Some species of Heartless, Unversed and Dream Eaters from Kingdom Hearts fall into this trope. All are Eldritch Abominations; some happen to be adorable.
- Kirby, at least according to Kirby: Right Back at Ya! Also, Gooey from the games, who is a piece of Dark Matter who broke off, turned good, and became Kirby's friend.
- Desco of Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, currently serving to illustrate this trope. A man-made Eldritch Abomination, she was created because her father is a Mad Scientist and her "older sister" had ambitions to take over the world at the age of 4. Desco herself, besides wanting to make Bis Sis' dream come true, has her own goal of becoming a "Final Boss".
- Ellen from Pale Blue, with Lovecraftian Superpower's to boot.
- In the mobile Virtual Pet app, Cthulhu Virtual Pet, you take care of an adorable, baby version of the High Priest of the Great Old Ones.
- Becquerel and GCAT from Homestuck are a Big Friendly Dog and a cute mischievous cat, respectively, and are also reality bending physical gods with no eyes .
- In Cthulhu Slippers Cthulhu himself is a happy, suspender wearing, friendly Eldritch Abomination. Meanwhile recalled Cthulhu Corp product 'My First Necronomicon' is a happy, bunny eared, pigtailed version of of the Necronomicon. It ate all your chips.
- The quite affable Shadow Child from Roommates is an adorable, albeit a bit creepy, little boy, if you don't count his shadow tendrils defying the conventions of the medium and his Mind Rape powers... and the fact he is the Anthropomorphic Personification of a negative emotion.
- Digger has another Shadowchild, a small Living Shadow that is, technically, a soul-eating demon. But it's so cute! It wants to be your friend!
- Cthulhu himself appears like this in Mac Hall, where he is both tiny and adorable, and at one point had a teddy bear.
- Ow, my sanity was created with the author's premise that this is the natural state of an Eldritch Abomination in the modern world, now that we've explored most of the formerly-remote regions of the world and science where Lovecraft believed madness lurks and our view of the cosmos has long sense adapted to the findings. While they still have disturbing and unknowable aspects, they appear more anthropomorphic because we can better understand and relate to them than was the case in his day.
- Whateley Universe:
- Josie Gilman's cute little black kittycat. It loves to be hugged, it loves to be fed, it... oh my god it's an Eldritch Abomination with a huge gaping maw!!!
- The cuddly stuffed cabbit Generator made for Tennyo. Especially when the claws and fangs pop out.
- Khoshekh the "cat" from Welcome to Night Vale. At first glance, just the adorable half. But at one point, Cecil plays a recording of Khoshekh's meow, which is a terrible screech. Later, he reminds the people who adopted Khoshekh's offspring to look out for their pets' poisonous spine ridges and venomous fangs, and ends the segment by cooing, "Who’s my adorable little kitten with your adorable tendril hub? It’s you! It’s you!"
- Zigzagged with SCP-2006-j of the SCP Foundation. A Magical G-...uh...Something...
SCP-2006-1: [DATA EXPUNGED] PRINCESS POWER, TRANSFORM!It is unclear what happened next, however all surviving personnel at Site 138-Delta within approximately 200 m of SCP-2006 reported seeing a brilliant flash of bright red or pink light despite not having direct line-of-sight to SCP-2006-1. Six (6) personnel were killed by massive brain hemorrhages, thirty-eight (38) were permanently blinded, and Drs. Kinomoto and Tsukino were heard exclaiming "SO CUTE" in Japanese before vaporizing into clouds of pastel-colored dust. Dr. █████████ recovered fully after three (3) months of hospitalization for neurological trauma.
- Helen in Twig appears to be a twelve-year-old girl, until she gets within grasping range and her bones start straining against her skin as she twists people apart. She's an engineered organism designed to look human, and a Master Actor because she's had to learn how to act human due to lacking human social instincts. Her internal life is largely a mystery, but she describes her perfect world as "everyone being interwoven with each other" and loving someone as wanting to crawl inside their skin and twist them apart.
- The Stitchpunks from 9.
- This is what the people in charge of Heloise's personality in Jimmy Two-Shoes seem to want her portrayed as. It doesn't work
- Played with in Monsters, Inc., in which the 'abomination' actually is nothing more than an adorable little two-year-old girl, but the monster society is terrified of human children so views her as an abomination because she's a little two-year-old girl.
- Bravest Warriors: Catbug metamorphasized from a yellow, six-eyed baby insectoid with misplaced organs into a walking talking sentient catbug. With the help of a pulsating cocoon that has a suspiciously clean doorway. Ten years ago. Theoretically, Catbug is related to the Aeon Worm (they're both sentient bugs first found by the CB from the same garden, both involve a cocoon stage that has pulsating bubbles, and both live in the see-through zone and the BW world) but is aligned with the Bravest Warriors.
- Adventure Time:
- Sweet P is a cute and loving giant horned man-sized child who happens to be the reincarnation of the Lich. And mess with the kid and you'll find that the Lich isn't quite as gone as everyone had hoped.
- Marceline is a Vampire Monarch and daughter of the Lord of Evil who does some truly nightmarish shapeshifting, but she prefers her Cute Monster Girl form and aside from a few times she loses her temper is very much The Woobie.
- In the Wander over Yonder episode "The Ball", the giant planet-destroying "World Buster" the Balzarians have been fleeing from is literally a giant, adorable puppy named Buster, who accidentally destroyed their last eight homes using them as chew toys and seems ready to do it again with Balzar IX.
- Gravity Falls: