Physical intimacy is a basic human desire. Humans generally want some degree of physical contact. Then there are those who like it a little too much. These people are the type who likes hugging and cuddling people, often delivering The Glomp
. Combine a Cuddle Bug with a character who Hates Being Touched
, and more often than not, Hilarity Ensues
Their skinship reaction is usually triggered by Moe
and Cuteness Proximity
. When taken to extreme, I'm Taking Her Home with Me!
is often shouted by the kidnapper. Compare No Sense of Personal Space
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- In Hellblazer, the lonely ghost of a homeless man who'd died of exposure roamed around the city trying to hug people. Tragically, he didn't realize he was freezing them to death by doing so.
Films — Live-Action
- Star Wars: Chewbacca often gives a bear hug whenever he's showing the love when a pat on the back would suffice.
- The Prequels' Qui-Gon Jinn is surprisingly touchy-feely for a Jedi Knight. He's always putting hands on shoulders or bending down to put his face on the same level as whoever he's talking to. People don't seem to mind...
- Sgt. Stan Wojciehowicz on Barney Miller is a great hugger, especially in times of strong emotion.
- Abby Sciuto of NCIS loves to hug her teammates with little to no provocation. She's also been known to hug near-strangers if she feels they need one.
- Played for laughs in an episode where everyone is sent to mandatory sexual harassment training and Abby is shocked to find that hugging everyone is against the rules.
- In Doctor Who, The Doctor once declared that he'll "hug anyone". In "New Earth", he saves the day by hugging people. In "The Impossible Planet", he hugs Zach just for being human and actually thanks Zach for letting him. He probably hugs someone on average Once an Episode, considering that the few times he doesn't hug anyone are probably balanced out by the times he hugs basically everyone.
- As Amy and Rory near the end of their run, the Eleventh Doctor spends more and more time hugging and kissing them, since he knows they're thinking about leaving him soon.
- Jerry the bear from the Friendly Forest of the Muppet show The Pajanimals. "Bear hug!"
- Teletubbies : Big Hug! (cue hug with weird sound effects)
- Babylon5's Delenn has a habit of taking the arm of her companion as they walk or patting hands - except for Sinclair who she rather pointedly never touches. Since she has more than a passing suspicion who he really is that is perhaps understandable.
- Neptune from Neptunia (at least in the first game) gets like this around Compa, usually when she's sleepy.
- Nanashi in Duel Savior Destiny is such a cuddle bug that even after a fight, her disembodied head will come up to you and bounce around happily until you smack it away. Otherwise, she tends to be very huggy around Taiga, who does his best to avoid her attempts to glomp him.
- Ormi from Final Fantasy X-2 might be this. One of his attacks is called "Huggles," and his line is "How's about a big hug?"
- Miss Nancy from Little Inferno, who even sends you a coupon for a free hug from her. Like most of her world, though, she's also a quite a bit more... off than most examples.
- In the remakes of Pokémon Gold and Silver, the first Pokemon in the party will travel free of its pokeball and follow the player character around on-screen, where it can be interacted with. If the Pokemon is fond of you, it will usually show affection by rubbing against or hugging the player.
- Blinky from the Insecticomics, a literal Cuddle Bug (his altmode is a pillbug).
- Ellen in El Goonish Shive. Grace even more so, but less outstanding, since it was said to be typical for a greater chimera due to innate empathic ability.
- She's like a sleepy little ninja!
- Ex-fairies in Gunnerkrigg Court are a bit weird, usually in a funny way. When Annie switched to ether view in their company, the whole class started to applaud and welcome her, and then she became the center of an etheric cuddle pile. And enjoyed instant Cuteness Overload, unlike meeting people with No Sense of Personal Space in the thick material world.
- Annie herself, under her Emotionless Girl exterior, is an extremely affectionate person who likes to be in near-constant physical contact with the few people she's close to, whenever they are in the same room.
- Mab from Dan and Mab's Furry Adventures loves to hug everyone and everything. She keeps a list of things she hasn't hugged yet to make sure she doesn't miss one.
- Laerte from Hamleto the Hamster loves to cuddle his fellow hamsters; they don't reciprocate much, though. He also doesn't stop himself at hamsters.