open/close all folders
Film - Animated
- Princess Merida from Brave likes to spend her free time riding her horse in the forest outside her family's castle and firing arrows at the trees.
Film - Live Action
- Janie from Another Time, Another Place, but out of necessity rather than preference.
- Julie from Flipped loves climbing her favorite tree, will raise chickens and will tame her yard.
- Katherine "Katy" McLaughlin from Flicka loves horseback riding over the mountains of Wyoming at her family's horse ranch.
- Robin Hood's daughter Gwyn in Princess of Thieves.
- The film I Know Where I'm Going! has Torquil's childhood friend, Catriona, as the polar opposite of lady-like Joan as she goes hunting, throws things around, and generally loves the outdoors.
- Cassie from Animorphs grew up on a farm, and she's by far the Animorph most comfortable with nature. In The Departure she survives in the wilderness for days.
- Annie of The Magic Treehouse is the first one to climb into the treehouse that will take them anywhere and the first one to jump into adventure when they get where they're going.
- Leslie from Bridge to Terabithia invites Jess to swing over the riverbed to discover the land of Terabithia.
- The Royal Diaries has a couple. Anastasia: The Last Grand Duchess would rather climb trees than dance, and in Marie Antoinette: Princess of Versailles, Archduchess Antonia's favorite activity is horse riding astride through the mud.
- The Chronicles of Narnia has Lucy Pevensie, who discovers Narnia, insists on helping save Mr Tumnus, is a faithful believer in Narnia, and is an enthusiastic archer.
- Emily from Emily - Last Child. Given that she is raised as an Indian, this is a given.
- Alicia Audley, from Lady Audley's Secret, loves hunting and the outdoors, in sharp contrast to the more traditionally feminine, eponymous, Lady Audley.
- Jane Austen's Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey has these vibes. As a little girl, she was noisy and wild, hated confinement and cleanliness, and loved rolling down the green slope at the back of the house. She liked playing cricket, baseball, riding on horseback, and running about the country. When she's grown-up, she still loves taking long walks and spending time outdoors and breathing fresh air.
- In the novella A Taste of Honey, Lucretia spends most of her childhood and adolescent years outside at the Menagerie, among all kinds of animals, and later she even assists the prince when he's out hunting.
Live Action TV
- Game of Thrones: Our first glimpse of Lyanna in a flashback is a young girl who returns to Winterfell's yard on horseback and shows off her riding skills to her brother Ned.
- Samantha "Sam" Kepler from Wishbone once persuades the boys to help her look for "Blackbeard's Horseshoe" inside a condemned barn.
- Farm girl Laura Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie enjoys catching frogs in the creek.
- The Ranch : Heather is revealed to be this, as a calf-roping former 4H club member.
- Alix of Stone Soup has a fondness for playing in the mud, catching creepy crawly things, and going exploring in her backyard baby pool.
- Makoto Nanaya from BlazBlue was this while at the NOL academy. One of the "Teach me Ms. Litchi" shorts has her injured after deciding to climb a tree (then again, she is part squirrel). Also, "seeing the world" was her big reason for signing up for the Intelligence division.
- Dora the Explorer embarks on a trip in every episode, where she uses her map to travel anywhere from through the jungle to over a mountain.
- Mabel from Gravity Falls. A girly-girl example in this.
- We Bare Bears: A flashback in "Creature Mysteries" shows the Bears' friend Ranger Tabes was like this in her youth.