Western Animation / Blinky Bill
Blinky Bill is the hero of a book series written by Dorothy Wall in the 1930s. The books inspired two TV series: The first one was a live-action puppet show called The New Adventures of Blinky Bill,
which ran on The ABC
from 1984-87 and produced by Richard Smith; the second one was a follow-up to the 1992 animated movie Blinky Bill: The Mischievous Koala
and titled The Adventures of Blinky Bill
. The animated series, by far the most well-known version of the character internationally, was adapted and produced by Yoram Gross and ran for two seasons from 1993-95, with a third season (retitled Blinky Bill's Around the World Adventures
) airing in 2004.
Blinky Bill is an anthropomorphic koala who lives with his friends in the fictional Australian bush town of Greenpatch. In the film Blinky Bill : The Mischievous Koala
, Greenpatch is destroyed. The cartoon series is set after they found a new home.
The first season had the townspeople trying to get their new homes in order while coping with a family of playful tricksters and bullies, the dingoes. In the second season and a story arc formed in which Blinky and his gang got lost while on a school camping trip and had to find their way home. The third season had Blinky, Flap and Nutsy travel around the world in a hot air balloon, rescuing animals and being chased by 2 humans named Basil and Cyril who are the Circus Bros.
It's getting a CGI
reboot in 2015, starting with a theatrical film. Needless to say, fans are already divided on whether going CGI is good at all. Heck, even the new design is a point of contention
Tropes you'll see in the series:
- AcCENT Upon the Wrong SylLABle - Marcia's name is pronounced incorrectly in the second series credits song.
- Animated Adaptation: The Adventures of Blinky Bill.
- Animated Musical: Blinky Bill : The Mischievous Koala had songs in it.
- Adipose Rex: Ma Dingo is one of these in the fairy tale episode.
- Adorkable - Flap
- Asshole Victim - Danny's schemes would often be undone without Blinky's help.
- Australian Accent: Most of the cast.
- Badass Adorable - Let's just say all 6 main kids Took a Level in Badass after the Extraordinary Excursion
- Barefoot Cartoon Animal - Everyone except Meatball.
- Bratty Half-Pint - Marcia Mouse
- Break the Cutie: Nutsy in Mother´s day episode.
- Butt Monkey - Many characters have their moments. Mayor Pelican and Miss Magpie regularly get on the receiving end of Blinky's pranks.
- Canon Foreigner - Tons of 'em. Neither Flap, Marcia, nor the Dingo family appeared in the original books, and that's only the more major characters the cartoon added.
- The New Adventures Of Blinky Bill puppet show had a few as well, such as Charlie Goanna, Eric Echidna and Sybilla the Snake, plus various (human) park rangers (as the show took place in Bollygum National Park).
- Carnivore Confusion - the dingoes are never shown to eat or hunt any other animals
- Civilised Animal - the animals wear clothes, go to school and even have a currency.
- Cool Big Sis - Daisy Dingo
- Cute Little Fangs - The Dingo family
- The Door Slams You
- Determinator: The circus brothers chase Blinky across six continents in their efforts to catch him.
- Dumb Muscle - Meatball Dingo
- Early Installment Weirdness - In the first episode, Flap is no where to be seen. Ruff the Lizard meanwhie fills the role Flap would have later anyway. Which is odd, because Flap had a rather large role in the movie.
- Easy Amnesia: Blinky gets it in the movie, after a tree falls on him, so that Wombo can conveniently fill in his backstory via Flashback for the viewers before the main plot continues.
- Everything's Better with Platypi
- Expository Theme Tune: The first series has a brief recap of the movie:
But then one dark and gloomy night, when all the bush was still,
Some bandits came and stole the trees, to feed their woodchip mill!
And when at last the morning came, the timber trucks moved on,
And where their Greenpatch used to be, the little town was gone!
- Five-Bad Band: The dingoes:
- Five-Man Band (season 1)
- Five-Man Band (season 2)
- Gentle Giant - Splodge
- Getting crap past the radar: In the 2015 movie, one character asks Jacko if he has 'A reptile dysfunction'
- The Heart - Nutsy is this in general.
- Heel–Face Turn - By the 2nd season, the whole dingo family
- Humans Are the Real Monsters -As shown in the movie and numerous episodes.
- Kid Hero - Blinky Bill
- The Kiddie Ride - mmm, giant Blinky on Bamboo Technology car!
- Land Downunder
- Lean and Mean - Danny Dingo
- Lovable Coward - Flap Platypus
- Non-Mammal Mammaries - Although most characters are mammals and Miss Magpie who isn't does not have them, Blinky's mother, Daisy Dingo and others present very human looking breasts.
- One-Shot Character - Myrtle in "Blinky's Fire Brigade". She is also in Blinky Bill Weding picnic among the wedding guests.
- The One Who Wears Shoes - Meatball Dingo
- Plucky Girl - Marcia Mouse
- Scenery Gorn: The destruction of Greenpatch, seen in live action in the movie (with the animated animals running away from the destruction), and briefly in the opening sequence of the TV series.
- Six Student Clique:
- The Head — Blinky Bill
- The Muscle — Splodge Kangaroo
- The Quirk — Shifty Dingo
- The Pretty One — Nutsy
- The Smart One — Flap Platypus
- The Wild One — Marcia Marsupial Mouse
- Story Arc: Season 1: Rebuilding Greenpatch. Season 2: The Quest Home (albeit beginning midway through) Season 3: Balloon Adventure
- Sunglasses at Night - Danny Dingo
- Sequel Escalation - Each series got grander and more plot focused. The first series was mostly self contained episodes which could be watched in any order save the last few. Series 2 had more a storyline with the gang lost but again you could watch most episodes in any order. Series 3 meanwhile was even bigger. Blinky traveled around the world in what was easily the most arc based (characters regularly left the group once home so one could easily miss such episodes) and there were actual villains for the first time since the original movie.
- Theme Tune Roll Call: "This is the story of Blinky Bill, and Flap and Nutsy too/And Wombo, Ruff and Marcia, and Splodge the kangaroo."
- The Power of Friendship
- Trickster Archetype - Danny and Daisy Dingo
- Blinky in the third series aginest the Cricus brothers.
- Vocal Evolution: Marcia's voice started out slightly deeper.
- Wham Episode - Blinky Bill and the Earthquake, the titular earthquake is really a mine cave in separating Blinky and the gang from Miss Magpie and their classmates. Then the episode goes on with a crazed Goanana chasing the gang out of the mine disguised as a ghost. Once out of the mine, it's night time. Meanwhile Miss Magpie is crying her eyes out while Wombo comforts her and the gang set up camp for the night, ending the episode with Nusty imagining all their parents worried sick. This sets up the storyarc for the rest of the series in what had up until then been episodic.