Exactly What It Says on the Tin
. This is a band trope: members of a band are related to one another (though it doesn't have to be all of them).
There are two types:
- Type 1: Some of the members happen to be related
- Type 2: The Family Band: Everyone in the band is related—which is quite common.
Common deviations from this formula include
- A relative replaces a former band member
- Two members are related, but one leaves the band
- Two members are married—but divorce
A common subversion would be for the name of the band to suggest
that they're related—but they're not.
- In Iron Zion, a Klezmer/Power Metal (you read that right) band in the universe of the Furry Basketball Association, organist Eleazar Cragg was the grandfather of lead guitarist Micah Cragg, Micah married clarinetist Sarai Goldberg, bassist Jan Doornenbal was the brother of violinist Bouke, and Micah's little brother David Cragg joined on rhythm guitar during the band's waning years. Drummer Drake Whitesmith and keyboardist Chris Lancer (who replaced Eleazar) were the only members of the band not closely related to another band member.
- The Cramps were founded and maintained by husband-and-wife duo Lux Interior and Poison Ivy.
- Soulwax was started by two brothers and grew to include friends of both.
- Van Halen. Which included the brothers Eddie and Alex Van Halen, Eddie's son Wolfgang, and a few others (currently David Lee Roth). Their father Jan also played clavinet on "Big Bad Bill (Is Sweet William Now)" on Diver Down.
- Oasis: Noel and Liam Gallagher are brothers—and brotherly love is nowhere to be found.
- The Beach Boys had the three Wilson brothers (Brian, Carl, and Dennis) and their cousin Mike Love playing in the band.
- Andy Creeggan—The Pete Best of Barenaked Ladies—is the brother of bassist Jim Creeggan. They have a side project known as The Brothers Creeggan.
- No Doubt had Gwen Stefani and her brother Eric, who left the band after Tragic Kingdom was recorded.
- Led Zeppelin: The band split after John Bonham died. During the 2007 reunion, Jason Bonham (John's son) took his father's spot.
- ABBA were two married couples. The couples divorced, and the group disintegrated.
- Good Charlotte has twins Benji and Joel Madden.
- My Chemical Romance has Mikey and Gerard Way.
- The B-52s had Ricky and Cindy Wilson until Ricky died of AIDS in 1985.
- Arcade Fire has Win Butler and Regine Chassagne, who are married, as well as Win's brother Will.
- AC/DC: Malcolm, Angus, George, and Stevie Young. The first two are well-known. As for the other two?
- George (brother of Malcolm and Angus) was the bassist for a short period of time, and is most famous for being the rhythm guitarist of The Easybeats.
- George served as producer on many of the band's records, especially their early ones.
- Stevie Young (the son of Malcolm, Angus, and George's brother Alex) filled in while Malcolm dealt with alcohol dependency (because they looked so alike, not many fans were aware there was a switch). With Malcolm's recent retirement, Stevie has been named his full-time replacement.
- The Mamas & The Papas included husband and wife John and Michelle Phillips.
- Their daughter's band Wilson Phillips is also an example, but not because of Chynna Phillips. Carnie and Wendy Wilson are sisters (their father being himself from a band of siblings, Brian Wilson).
- Eisley is the Dupree sisters, plus their cousin and a friend.
- Five Iron Frenzy: Micah Ortega and Leanor Ortega are cousins.
- New Kids on the Block very briefly had two brother pairs: Aside from Jordan and Jonathan Knight, Mark Wahlberg was in it for about 5 minutes along with brother Donnie.
- The Jesus and Mary Chain: Jim and William Reid, the band's two constant members, are brothers. Later, they went on to be heavily involved in . . . .
- Sister Vanilla: A group which features their little sister, Linda, and occasionally the brothers themselves.
- Paul McCartney and Linda were in Wings.
- John Lennon and Yoko Ono were in The Plastic Ono Band. And so, at one point, was Sean Lennon.
- bôa, the British rock band best known for providing the theme song for Serial Experiments Lain, has Steve and Jasmine Rodgers, who are brother and sister.
- Dixie Chicks: sisters Emily Robison and Martie Maguire; they've also recorded as a type 2 duo, the Court Yard Hounds.
- Alabama: cousins Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry.
- Heart: sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson.
- The Kinks: Ray and Dave Davies. They did not get along well.
- Split Enz had Neil and Tim Finn, as did Crowded House (Tim was only in Crowded House for a year.)
- Ace of Base: Jonas Berggren was the brother of Malin "Linn" Berggren and Jenny Berggren. Subverted now that he's the last Berggren in the band.
- Radiohead: Colin and Jonny Greenwood (bass and lead guitar, respectively) are brothers.
- Suede: Simon Gilbert (drummer) and Neil Codling (keyboardist) are cousins.
- Spacehog's Royston and Antony Langdon are brothers.
- The Black Crowes have brothers Chris and Rich Robinson. In 2001, The Black Crowes actually toured with the already mentioned Oasis and Spacehog, in what was known as The Tour of Brotherly Love. The tour name was meant to be ironic, as all three sets of brothers weren't exactly known to get along.
- Briefly, The Flaming Lips: Their original lineup had Wayne Coyne on guitar and his brother Mark on vocals. Mark Coyne left the band after their first EP, so Wayne took over singing duties.
- INXS has lead guitarist Tim Farriss, keyboardist Andrew Farriss and drummer Jon Farriss. In fact, the band's original name was the Farriss Brothers. Many don't know this, probably because Michael Hutchence wasn't one of them.
- Wu-Tang Clan:
- RZA, GZA & ODB - Cousins
- Method Man & Raekwon - Cousins
- The familial connections expand for more cousins, children, siblings and adopted relatives with the second and third generation Wu members and affiliates.
- Charlie Benante (drums) and Frank Bello (bass) of Anthrax are uncle and nephew.
- The Allman Brothers Band featured Gregg (keyboards) and Duane (guitar) Allman along with non-relatives, but the band name became an Artifact Title for years after Duane died in a motorcycle accident in 1971. In fact, since they had their greatest success after Duane's death, he almost qualifies as a Pete Best if he wasn't their most famous member. The current lineup features drummer Butch Trucks, and his nephew, guitar prodigy Derek Trucks, restoring some of the family element to the band.
- Creedence Clearwater Revival, with brothers John and Tom Fogerty (lead vocals/guitar, and backing vocals/rhythm guitar).
- Danielson Famile consists of Daniel Smith, his brothers and sisters, and some friends (including Sufjan Stevens) who are close enough they may as well be family, too.
- Devo had two sets of brothers at one point - two Casale brothers and three Mothersbaughs. Currently, it's two of each. Then Bob Casale died.
- Gentle Giant. During 1970-72, Phil, Derek + Ray Shulman made up the core of the band. That is until Phil left to be with his family at home.
- The eight members of Los Campesinos! all share the pseudonymous last name "Campesinos" but only lead singer/songwriter Gareth and keyboardist/flautist Kim are related - they're brother and sister.
- Kim and Gareth also count as a subversion: Kim replaced the band's original lead female singer, Aleksandra, in late 2009.
- Veruca Salt's initial lineup included Nina Gordon on guitar and her brother Jim Shapiro on drums.
- The band Meg and Dia was founded by sisters Meg and Dia Frampton.
- The Meat Puppets' Curt and Cris Kirkwood. Curt pulled an I Am the Band for a few years without his brother (or original drummer Derrick Bostrom), but from 2006 on both brothers have been in the band again.
- B*Witched's twin sisters Edele and Keavy, until the group's breakup. See below for their current act.
- Bob Marley and Bunny Wailer of The Wailers were stepbrothers who lived together since childhood. Bob's mother married Bunny's father, and they had a daughter named Pearl, which made Bob and Bunny closer. Bob never knew his father (who was in the British navy), and Bunny's mother had left years before, so they were glad to have each others' company. After Bob's death, Bunny was never quite the same. He has put out many tribute albums of Bob covers.
- Glen Drover (guitarist) and Shawn Drover (drummer), both formerly of Megadeth and before that Eidolon. They had been making music together since they were kids.
- Brazilian band Capital Inicial has Fê and Flávio Lemos.
- Mexican band Maná started with three brothers in the group, Juan, Ulises and Abraham Calleros. The first is still a member, and the second is the band manager.
- The original lineup of Jellyfish included brothers Roger (keyboards/backing vocals) and Chris (bass, backing vocals) Manning. However, Chris only joined after their debut Bellybutton was recorded, though he appears on the album artwork and is credited as "band witchdoctor and mime".
- Jaga Jazzist: Siblings Lars, Martin, and Line Horntveth are almost the only musicians who have been with the band for its entire existence.
- Jagged Edge has twin brothers Brandon and Brian Casey along with Kyle Norman and Richard Wingo.
- Sepultura had Max and Igor Cavalera, who later reunited in Cavalera Conspiracy.
- In Japanese Rock/Visual Kei band Buck Tick, drummer Yagami Toll is the elder brother of bass player Yukata Higuchi.
- The Holmes Brothers: Wendell (guitar) and Sherman (bass) are brothers named Holmes (drummer Popsy Dixon rounds out the group).
- Lieutenant Pigeon ("Mouldy Old Dough"): Hilda Woodward, her son Rob, and a few other musicians.
- The Spanic Boys: Tom Spanic, his son Ian, and a few other musicians.
- Gloriana includes brothers Tom and Mike Gossin, plus Rachel Reinert.
- Chad and Mike Kroeger of Nickelback are half-brothers.
- Country music band Sons of the Desert, best known for singing backup on Lee Ann Womack's "I Hope You Dance", consisted of brothers Drew and Tim Womack (no relation to Lee Ann) and three other members.
- The Dukes of Dixieland, who were led by siblings Frank and Fred Assunto. Their father "Papa Jac" Assunto was also a member.
- The Statler Brothers: Subverted—despite their name, they're not all brothers. Double Subversion—members Don and Harold Reid are. No-one in the band was surnamed Statler, though.
- The Hives' singer, Howlin' Pelle Almqvist, and guitarist Nicholaus Arson, are brothers (true names Per and Niklas Almqvist).
- Styx's original lineup featured the Panozzo brothers on bass and drums (Chuck and John, respectively). John died in 1996 after years of heavy alcoholism, while Chuck occasionally plays with the band when his health allows it (he's HIV positive).
- The original lineup of Blue Oyster Cult had Albert and Joe Bouchard on drums and bass, respectively.
- Blackmores Night with Ritchie Blackmore and Candice Night, who are married.
- Stone Temple Pilots includes the DeLeo brothers, Dean and Robert, on lead guitar and bass.
- Gary LeVox and Jay DeMarcus of Rascal Flatts are second cousins. Also, DeMarcus' brother-in-law is One-Hit Wonder James Otto ("Just Got Started Lovin' You").
- At various points, the band Toto has had 3 of the Porcaro brothers (drummer Jeff, bassist Mike and keyboardist/vocalist Steve).
- The Avett Brothers are Scott and Seth Avett and Bob Crawford on up-right bass and Joe Kwon on cello.
- Paramore started with Josh Farro on guitar and Zac Farro on drums. Both left in 2010, leading to another pair of siblings, if only live: current guitarist Taylor York (who had joined the live band three years earlier, and became a full-fledged member in 2009), and tour rhythm guitarist Josh York.
- M. Shadows and Synyster Gates of Avenged Sevenfold are brothers-in-law, each being married to one-half of a set of identical twin sisters.
- In an odd example, one of Till Lindemann's (vocalist for Rammstein) ex-wives got with his bandmate, Richard Kruspe, and had a daughter with him. Because Till's ex-wife never reverted back to her maiden name, and because she and Richard never married, their daughter legally has Till's surname.
- Voodoo Glow Skulls have the brothers Frank, Eddie, and Jorge Casillas.
- Haim have three sisters, and would be type 2 except for their unrelated male drummer.
- Steam Powered Giraffe is helmed by identical twins Bunny and David Bennett.
- The Mystery Jets are a Type 1: Lead singer/Face of the Band Blaine Harrison's father Henry Harrison plays bass and guitar for the band.
- Eight of the nine original members of 1980s pop group The Jets were siblings (six biological, two adopted); they would be Type 2 except for an unrelated background vocalist.
- Contemporary Christian group The Archers zigzagged through this trope. Before beginning their recording career; they were a Type 2 example with three brothers (Tim, Steve and Gary Archer). By the time they began recording in the early 1970s; Gary had moved behind the scenes and the group moved to Type 1 with the addition of Billy Rush Masters and Nancye Short. By 1977; Short and Masters left and the group returned to the Type 2 category following the addition of sister Janice, remaining a Type 2 example for the remainder of the group's history.
- Nomeansno has alternated between both subtypes. They started out as a duo between brothers Rob (usually lead vocals, bass), and John (drums, vocals) Wright, sometimes overdubbing additional instruments like guitar and keyboards. After a single, EP, and an album with the two man setup, they were joined by Andy Kerr on guitar and vocals. When Kerr left the band, they put out two more albums as a duo, but have since returned to the Rock Trio format with Tom Holliston on guitar and vocals.
- 30 Seconds To Mars has brothers in Jared Leto (vocals) and Shannon Leto (drums).
- Similarly, Halestorm has Lzzy Hale as the singer and her brother Arejay on drums.
- The Proclaimers are based around identical twin brothers Charlie and Craig Reid.
- The National have two sets of brothers - twins Aaron and Bryce Dessner and Scott and Bryan Devendorf.
- Cheap Trick has been this unofficially for the past few years. Their official drummer, Bun E. Carlos has filed a lawsuit against them for claiming that he is a band member while allegedly not allowing him to do anything as a member of the band (Rick Nielsen's son has been playing drums for the past few years).
- Backstreet Boys have Brian Littrell and Kevin Richardson, who are cousins.
- The Cranberries have Noel and Mike Hogan (on lead guitar and bass respectively), who are brothers.
- The Partridge Family: In universe: A mother, three sons and two daughters. (In real life, only David Cassidy and stepmother Shirley Jones sang on the records; they were backed with studio musicians.)
- Arrested Development: Dr. Funke's 100% Natural Good-Time Family Band Solution, which consists of Tobias, Lindsay and Maeby Funke. One public performance ended up being given by Tobias, George Michael, and GOB's wife.
- The Brady Bunch: In universe. Defictionalized with the Brady Kids, where the six (unrelated) actors went on tour as a "family" of six singing Bradys. Also, unlike the Partridge Family (see above), all six actors who played the Brady kids actually sang on their records, with Barry Williams the de facto lead singer and Maureen McCormick also frequently providing solo vocals.
- Disney's The One and Only, Genuine, Original Family Band. 10 people altogether: grandfather, mother, 5 daughters and 3 sons, each with a different instrument.
- Axe Cop is drawn and written by two brothers. The artist is in his late 20s, the writer is barely 10.
- The Jackson Five. All siblings.
- KONGOS is made up of four brothers, Jesse, Danny, Dylan, and Johnny, who just so coincidentally happen to be the son of John Kongos, whose song "He's gonna Step on you Again" was the first to use a sample.
- The Cowsills, the inspiration for The Partridge Family. The mother, five brothers and a daughter.
- The five Osmond Brothers (after 1971).
- Sons Of Sylvia consists of 3 brothers. They and three other brothers formerly recorded as The Clark Family Experience.
- The Band Perry has a sister and her two younger brothers, all with the last name Perry.
- The Corrs
- Hanson: All three members are brothers.
- The same goes for Latino rockers Los Lonely Boys.
- The Bee Gees for the majority of their history consisted of three brothers: twins Robin and Maurice Gibb and older brother Barry.
- The contemporary Christian band For King & Country consists of brothers Joel and Luke Smallbone (although they have a backing band of unrelated musicians).
- Irish folk/New Age group Clannad; the name of the band is derived from Clann As Dobhar, meaning "The Family from Dore" (as they're from Gweedore in County Donegal). The members included the Brennan siblings (Moya, Pol, and Ciaran) and their twin uncles (Padraig and Noel Duggan). Another Brennan sister, Eithne, joined briefly before becoming known as solo star Enya.
- The Shaggs were a band of three (later four) sisters: Dorothy, Helen, Betty, and Rachel Wiggin . Their father insisted.
- The White Stripes: at first thought to be brother and sister, it turned out to be husband and wife. Subverted when they divorced, but kept going for around another decade.
- The Trapp Family Singers: Maria von Trapp, her husband Georg Ludwig von Trapp, and her stepchildren (also her and Georg's own children when they became old enough).
- The Everly Brothers.
- The Ronettes consisted of two sisters and their cousin.
- The Pointer Sisters originally consisted of sisters Bonnie and June; they were soon joined by two older sisters, first Anita and then Ruth. Although the group is no longer made up entirely of Pointers or sisters, it still qualifies as a Type 2; Bonnie and June have been replaced by Ruth's daughter and granddaughter.
- The Jonas Brothers.
- The Carpenters, siblings Richard and Karen.
- The founding members of Thrash Metal band Death Angel were all cousins.
- The Court Yard Hounds, as mentioned above.
- Kings of Leon is made up of three brothers and their cousin.
- Nelson is twin brothers Matthew and Gunnar.
- The Staple Singers were Roebuck "Pops" Staples, joined by daughters Mavis and Cleotha and son Pervis. Pervis left and was replaced by another Staples offspring, daughter Yvonne.
- The Free Design - two brothers and three sisters.
- The Gregory Brothers, consisting of brothers Evan, Michael and Andrew Gregory, and Evan's wife Sarah.
- The Trachtenberg Family Slideshow Players are a husband and wife, with their teenage daughter on drums.
- The members of the Australian pop duo The Veronicas are twin sisters.
- MsLynch consisted entirely of the former B*Witched twins Edele and Keavy. Then they dropped the act and formed another one, Barbarellas.
- The members of indie rock band Smoosh (Ayse, Maia, and Chloe) are all sisters.
- Mates of State are a husband and wife duo.
- The Nolan Sisters, an Irish singing family who were big in the late 1970's and 1980's. They are curently riven by dissension of various kinds and brandishing lawyers at each other. Youngest sister Colleen is probably the most successful, as she has permanent tenure on talk show LooseWomen. The sisters apparently remain Big in Japan.
- Oldest sister Ann officially became Ann Wilson after marriage. Opening up low-level confusion with the singing Wilson sisters
- LMFAO—an uncle (Redfoo) and nephew (Skyblu) duo. As an added bonus, Redfoo's father/Skyblu's grandpa is none other than Motown founder/producer Berry Gordy.
- For their first three albums, hard rock band Chevelle consisted of brothers Pete, Sam and Joe Loeffler. Joe left the band in 2005, and was replaced by the brothers' brother-in-law, Dean Bernardini.
- Indie rockers The Cribs consist of brothers Gary, Ryan and Ross Jarman, except for a period between 2008 and 2011 when Johnny Marr was also a member of the band.
- The Bellamy Brothers (brothers David and Howard Bellamy)
- The Kentucky Headhunters. The original lineup consisted of two sets of brothers: Fred (drums) and Richard Young (rhythm guitar); Ricky Lee (lead vocals) and Doug Phelps (bass); and the Youngs' cousin Greg Martin (lead guitar). After the Phelpses left, another cousin of the Youngs (Anthony Kenney) took over on bass, and the unrelated Mark S. Orr did lead vocals for one album. Orr left promptly, Doug came back as lead vocalist, and Kenney eventually left, promoting Doug to Lead Bassist.
- SHeDAISY is sisters Kassidy, Kelsi, and Kristyn Osborn.
- Carter's Chord is another sister trio in country music: Becky Robertson, Emily Fortney, and Joanna Robertson Ott.
- The Isaacs consists of Lily Isaacs, her daughters Becky and Sonya, and their husbands, John Bowman and Jimmy Yeary.
- Tompall & the Glaser Brothers: brothers Jim, Chuck, and Tompall Glaser.
- The 5 Browns: Five piano-playing siblings.
- The Browns: James, Maxine, and Bonnie (brother, two sisters) were a country trio from 1955 to 1967.
- The Judds was Naomi Judd and her more famous daughter, Wynonna. Wynonna broke out as a solo artist in the early 1990s.
- Krisiun consists of brothers Moyses Kolesne, Max Kolesne, and Alex Carnago (the latter uses his mother's maiden name).
- Boards of Canada is Mike Sandison and his brother Marcus Eoin (Sandison). They initially wanted to avoid comparisons to Orbital, another UK electronic duo consisting of two brothers.
- The Wilkinsons consisted of Steve Wilkinson, his daughter Amanda, and his son Tyler.
- The Henningsens, best known for writing some songs for the aforementioned Band Perry, consists of Brian Henningsen, his son Aaron, and daughter Clara.
- The Kinsey Report: Brothers Donald (guitar, vocals), Ralph (drums), & Kenneth (bass) Kinsey. Started as a Type 1 group before guitarist Ron Prince left.
- Selena y Los Dinos started off as a family project - Selena on vocals, brother A.B. on bass, sister Suzette on drums, with father Abraham managing the group - and eventually became a Type 1.
- The Gipsy Kings, a crossover flamenco/pop band made up of Romani people from France but singing in Spanish, started out in 1978 as a Type 2, later became Type 1, and are now Type 2 once again. The current members are two sets of brothers, with each set being cousins to the other. The founding members are lead singer Nicolas Reyes, his brother André, lead guitarist Tonino Baliardo, and his brothers Diego and Paco. Three more Reyes brothers (Paul, François "Canut", and Patchal) and two unrelated members later joined the band, but the non-relatives eventually left, leaving the current lineup of five Reyes brothers and three Bailardo brothers.
- Tweedy is a father-son duo of Jeff and Spencer Tweedy.
- Echosmith consists of siblings Jamie, Noah, Sidney and Graham Sierota.
Not Actually Related
- Half of both lineups of The Statler Brothers (see above for the other half).
- The Brothers Four were actually a fraternity, rather than a family.
- The Ramones all adopted the last name Ramone as a pseudonym, but none were actually related.