Music: The Band Perry
A Country Music trio consisting of Kimberly Perry (lead vocals) and her two brothers, Neil (mandolin, drums, accordion) and Reid (bass guitar). Signed to Universal Republic, the band got modest success with "Hip to My Heart", but it was "If I Die Young" that propelled them to mainstream success—the song topped both the country and adult contemporary charts, also reaching #14 at pop. It was also featured briefly as the iTunes Free Single of the Week in 2009. The album also had three more successful singles afterward: "You Lie", "All Your Life" (#1 on the country charts), and "Postcard from Paris".In 2013 they released their New Sound Album Pioneer, which produced additional #1 hits in "Better Dig Two" and "DONE.", followed by the Top 10 hits "Don't Let Me Be Lonely" and "Chainsaw".Albums:
- The Band Perry EP (2010)
- The Band Perry (2010)
- Pioneer (2013)
- Accent Upon The Wrong Syllable: "Chainsaw" has "bu-ry the hatchet".
- Band of Relatives: Interestingly, many of their songs were co-written by The Henningsens, another Band of Relatives consisting of father Brian, and his son Aaron and daughter Clara.
- Break Up Song: "DONE." and "Chainsaw". The former is mostly just a statement of how she's "done" with him, and in the latter, she uses a chainsaw to destroy the tree in which they carved their initials.
- Chainsaw Good: "Chainsaw"
- Darker and Edgier: The first two singles from Pioneer suggest this. "Better Dig Two" is about a woman who loves a man a little too much and says that the grave digger "better dig two" if one of them dies. "DONE." is the hardest rocking song they've done yet.
- The Four Chords of Pop: "If I Die Young" uses IV-I-V-vi
- I Like My X Like I Like My Y: "Hip to My Heart" begins with "I like your lips like I like my Coca-Cola / Oh, how it pops and fizzes".
- If I Can't Have You: "Better Dig Two" can be read this way, though that was probably not intentional.
- New Sound Album: Pioneer is very harder rocking compared to The Band Perry. The electronic-based "Live Forever" seems to be suggesting that their third album will also be an example.
- Rearrange the Song: The pop version of "If I Die Young" remixes the song with more electric guitar and a heavier back beat.
- Small Town Boredom: "Independence".
- Teenage Death Songs: "If I Die Young" has it right there in the title, as the song is about a young woman pondering what would happen if she were to die young.
- That Liar Lies: "You Lie".
- Wham Line: "All Your Life" sounds like a sweet ode to a lover, until "You could be the centerpiece of my obsession/If you would notice me at all".
- Yandere: "Better Dig Two" seems to imply this.