A Country Music
trio consisting of Kimberly Perry (lead vocals) and her two brothers, Neil (mandolin, drums, accordion) and Reid (bass guitar). Signed to Universal Republic, the band got modest success with "Hip to My Heart", but it was "If I Die Young" that propelled them to mainstream success—the song topped both the country and adult contemporary charts, also reaching #14 at pop. It was also featured briefly as the iTunes Free Single of the Week in 2009. No One-Hit Wonder
, The Band Perry has also had considerable success with the three follow-ups. In 2012 they released the song "Better Dig Two", featured on their brand new album Pioneer
, and later in 2013 they released "DONE.", which earned critical acclaim
and earned a #1 position on the Billboard Country Airplay charts.Albums:
- Band of Relatives
- Break Up Song: "DONE."
- Darker and Edgier: The first two singles from Pioneer suggest this. "Better Dig Two" is about a woman who loves a man a little too much and says that the grave digger "better dig two" if one of them dies. "DONE." is the hardest rocking song they've done yet.
- The Four Chords of Pop: "If I Die Young" uses IV-I-V-vi
- If I Can't Have You: "Better Dig Two" can be read this way, though that was probably not intentional.
- New Sound Album: Pioneer is very harder rocking compared to The Band Perry.
- Rearrange the Song: The pop version of "If I Die Young" remixes the song with more electric guitar and a heavier back beat.
- Small Town Boredom: "Independence".
- Teenage Death Songs: "If I Die Young".
- That Liar Lies: "You Lie".
- Wham Line: "All Your Life" sounds like a sweet ode to a lover, until "You could be the centerpiece of my obsession/If you would notice me at all".
- Yandere: "Better Dig Two" seems to imply this.