Azealia Amanda Banks (born May 31, 1991) is an American rapper and singer, who rose to fame after her music video "212" went viral in late 2011. Her wild persona and explicit rapping style have put her in direct comparison by critics and bloggers to fellow female rapper Nicki Minaj; the two even attended the same high school, albeit in different years. After a failed record deal with XL, Azealia signed to Universal in 2012, but since they put her debut album under Development Hell, she became independent and released her debut album 'Broke With Expensive Taste' out of nowhere in November 2014.
- Fantasea (2012)
- 1991 EP (2012)
- Broke With Expensive Taste (2014)
Azealia Banks provides examples of:
- Ascended Fangirl: Azealia has been said to be a big Bloc Party fan; Bloc Party's frequent collaborator, Paul Epworth, is producing her debut album. "Bambi" is the first-released fruit of their labor.
- Bi the Way
- Big Applesauce: Azealia was born in raised in New York City, something she brags about in "Bambi". She refers to it quite a few times in her music like in "Luxury" and "212" the latter being one of the area codes of Manhattan.
- Boastful Rap: Lots and lots of this.
- But Not Too Black: Not an example herself, but she has cited this as the reason for her lack of commercial success compared to lighter-skinned female musicians and spoken about darker-skinned women like herself being mistreated in society. In 2016 she confirmed rumors that she is bleaching her skin, unfortunately bringing her closer to a straight example.
- Catch-Phrase: The "I guess that cunt getting' eaten" line in "212", arguably. You can even purchase a shirt with the lyric on it here.
- The Cameo: Azealia lends some uncredited vocals to the Scissor Sisters' "Shady Love".
- Country Matters: Notorious for using this extensively.
- Dream Team: She and Lana Del Rey have been rumored to be working with one another; Azealia most recently lent vocals to a remix of Lana's "Blue Jeans", which was co-produced by Mark Foster.
- Erotic Eating: She does this with a hot dog, lollipop, and popsicle in the "Liquorice" video.
- Fake Loud: The muffled/distorted screaming in the chorus of "Yung Rapunxel".
- Freestyle Version: She freestyled over "Harlem Shake" in 2013.
- Game Face: She gives a rather impressive one in "Ice Princess", so much so that it's used for the banner for her Vevo channel.
- Gold Digger: Describes herself as one in "L8R":No fronting, itís about his paperHe a giver, Iím a taker, and a fibber, and a fakerYou gotta spend a lot for this behaviorIf it ainít about a dollar, Iím a holla at you later
- Iconic Outfit: The Mickey Mouse sweater she wears in the "212" video; it even has its own Twitter page!
- Phrase Salad Lyrics: Parts of "Idle Delilah" fall into this:Idlest Delilah, darling, do ya like beige in your coffee? Tea?A wild... wild breeze on a day, a dawnOft' indeed a child, smiles at me cause I'm made of yarnDolly, me? Am I? I'll trade a dollar for ya dime, ohIdlest Delilah, trout and trees remind me of my Darling D the DiverDiver D was a satyr - a father figurineI made him run away with his stale lungFolly me am I? Oh, idol-less Delilah
- Refuge in Audacity: And how. Azealia has no filter in her music or in general, which is best seen in the form of her many, many, many beefs.
- Shaking the Rump: From "Runnin'":You be handful of scrilla while I'm jiggling the bunsI can stop moving - [[still Rhyming with Itself jiggling the buns]]
- Miss Swears-a-Lot: The amount of lines in 212 not featuring at least one cuss-word and/or sexual reference can probably be counted on one hand. And that's just the one song."Iím a rude bitch, nigga!"
- On iTunes every song from Broke With Expensive Taste comes with an explicit language warning.
- Stepford Smiler: "Soda" speaks on this topic and self-medicating to deal with depression.A smile, a guiseI'm trying to hide behind tired eyes, I sigh
- Take That!: Many have speculated that "212" is a dig at Nicki Minaj, but Azealia said that it's not the case.
- Too Many Mouths: The video and the cover of "YUNG RAPUNXEL" show Azealia with mouths instead of eyes. Terrifying.
- Your Cheating Heart: "NEEDSUMLUV" is about being the other woman.
- The Western: The "Liquorice" video.