That Liar Lies
Dogberry: Marry, sir, they have committed false report; moreover, they have spoken untruths; secondarily, they are slanders; sixth and lastly, they have belied a lady; thirdly, they have verified unjust things; and, to conclude, they are lying knaves.This trope is when a character flatly accuses another of outright lying. This can be phrased in different ways; "You lie," "That's a lie," "You're lying", "You are telling a lie," "you're a lying liar that lies," etc. This is usually the response to a trope from the Family Twists Index. This can happen either while the receiver is speaking or when he is not speaking. Occurs when a character speaks Blatant Lies and another character knows that he is lying. Often Played for Drama. Common in trial scenes when some witness has just attributed an incriminating remark to another person present. See also Suspiciously Specific Denial and Villains Never Lie. Contrast I Lied.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Bleach: In chapter 397 Ichigo calls Aizen a "liar" after being told that he planned all of Ichigo's fights from the beginning. Aizen points out the flaw in Ichigo's logic that's a lie for contradicting what he said earlier when Ichigo himself pointed out how worthless Aizen's word is.
- Gankutsuou: Albert screams this at the Count three times upon learning that the Count was merely using him the whole time.
- Used by Rena in Higurashi: When They Cry (originally as "USO DA!", translated as "LIAR!" in the dub) in a scene which would set the tone for the rest of the series. It has become her unofficial catchphrase (along with "Omochikaeri!") and is frequently referenced in fanworks, homages and canon ("Hirukowashi", in case you were wondering). Actually, as it's an ongoing theme of the series (The Power Of Trust and They're Called Personal Issues For A Reason), a lot of characters accuse each other of this with varying degrees of hysteria and accuracy. In Umineko: When They Cry, just about everyone has accused everyone of lying at some point or another and started one of these. The siblings, especially.
- Thor screams this at Zagi four times in episode 7 of Jyu-Oh-Sei.
- In Kanon when Yuuichi breaks a promise with Nayuki, she often calls him a liar.
- Kara no Kyoukai: Lio to Shiki. "That's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie, that's a lie!"
- In chapter 61 of Naruto Kabuto insists Sasuke is lying and that he's not that cold-hearted when the latter asks the former to fight saying that it's the only way to survive in the Forest of Death.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji says this about Asuka, Rei, and Misato in the movie (End Of Evangelion) when they all declare to him "we are nice to you."
- In the same movie, Ritsuko says this of Gendo at one point immediately before he shoots her dead and the exact words that prompted her to say this have only ever been revealed to the actress playing Ritsuko.
- Asuka says this of Shinji too.
- In episode 22 at the end of Asuka's Mind Rape sequence a Creepy Doll says this of Asuka.
- Used in No. 6 when Sion kisses Nezumi and calls it a "good night kiss" leading to Nezumi to call Sion a "liar".
- Occurs in Noir when Chloe reveals that Kirika killed Mirielle's parents prompting Mirielle to shout that she has to be lying. A track on the soundtrack is actually called "Liar You Lie."
- Pandora Hearts: Oz says this of Break at one point. And this is said to Oz (by an Abyss-worshiping cult) in chapter 54. And in chapter 56 Philippe says this when Oz tells him that his father is dead.
- In Pani Poni Dash! episode 9, Becky's MIT professor tells Becky's students that on one occasion she accidentally fused herself with a cat. Becky (tied to a stalagmite) cries out, "YOU LIAR! Don't make stuff up!"
- Sayaka screams this in episode 7 of Princess Princess after Yuujirou kisses Tooru to drive home the idea that Tooru doesn't like girls.
- Ranma ˝: When Genma claims that the titular character said in his sleep that he loves Akane, Ranma tackles him, all the while repeatedly screaming, "That's a lie!"
- In the very same episode, Ranma and Akane end up in a situation that makes it look like he raped her. He didn't, of course, but Ryoga doesn't know that. So, Ranma uses Ryoga's misinterpretations to egg him on, because he needs Ryoga to fight him with everything he's got, while Akane shouts, "It's not true! He's a liar! A liar!"
- When Nabiki claims that Ranma and Akane are a married couple in order to get Ukyo out of the house, Ranma yells "Lies!" over and over again.
- Used again for hilarity when Ryoga turns into a kid because of aging mushrooms.
- From Dragon Ball Kai:
- Burter (to Goku): "YOU LIE! HOW CAN SOME STUPID SAIYAN MONKEY EVER BE FASTER THAN ME?!"
- Jeice (to Vegeta): "No, you...YOU LIE!"
- Freeza (to Goku): "YOU LIE! I am NOT beaten! NOT YET!"
- Chick Tracts, so very much. Li'l Suzy and many other protagonists will usually present this eloquent rebuttal whenever their strawman opponent mentions a personal opinion, religious stance (that don't match Jack's), generally accepted scientific theory, or the like. This is generally the entirety of their rebuttal, with no evidence or other argument given beyond that Chick's position is true and this is different than his position.
- Jason Woodrue during his Villainous Breakdown in Swamp Thing: "Youre' lying! You're lying you're lying you're lying! Why are you lying?"
Films — Animated
- Vervain says this a lot about Campion (with good reason) in the animated version of Watership Down, particularly the third season.
- The first verse of Jafar's Villain Song is essentially telling Jasmine "That Liar Lies" about Aladdin.
- Earlier, Aladdin confronts Jafar for lying. And even before that, Jasmine confronts Aladdin for lying. In those cases, though, they say "Tell them/me the truth," not "You lie."
Films — Live-Action
- In Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, when Ramona claims she didn't steal anyone, Knives says "You lie! You're a liar!"
- Mean Girls: Janis calls Cady a "dirty little liar" upon finding out she didn't invite her and Damian to her party and because she told them she was planning on sabotaging the Plastics when she was really just holding a party.
- Star Wars. Luke Skywalker says a variant of this to Darth Vader after the latter declares he is Luke's father.
Luke: That's not true! That's impossible!
- Leonardo does this to Shredder near the end of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, when Shredder insinuates that he's killed Splinter. Shredder is only incorrect because Splinter was rescued by Casey and Danny as the Foot were carrying out their assault on the sewer den after Shredder ordered him killed.
- Kill Bill: O-Ren Ishii screams, "You lie!" in Japanese when the Bride reveals that Hattori Hanzo made her sword.
- Harry Potter:
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Harry tries to convince Snape that he hasn't been stealing potion ingredients from him. In response, Snape says "Don't. Lie. To. Me." Harry hasn't. The real thief is the villain of the story.
- In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry yells "YOU LIAR" at Voldemort.
- In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry says "That's a lie" Aunt Marge.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, where, after Dolores Umbridge accuses a Muggle-born witch of stealing a wand from a "real" witch, Harry (disguised as a Ministry official) responds, "You're lying, Dolores. And one mustn't tell lies."
- In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Khan accuses Kirk of exiling him and his company to "this barren sand heap, with only the contents of this cargo bay to sustain us" (i.e. the uninhabitable planet where Terrell and Chekov have unexpectedly found him). Chekov interjects, "You lie! On Ceti Alpha 5 there was life! A fair chance!" To which Khan shouts, "THIS IS CETI ALPHA 5!"
- The 1985 film version of Bridge to Terabithia. "You're lying to me. You Lie!"
- In Kicking and Screaming as Phil is being kicked out of the coffee shop:
Phil: What is wrong with you Derrick, I thought we were friends!Andy: My name is Andy!Phil: Your name is liar because you're telling lies!
- The 1946 Frank Capra film It's a Wonderful Life has this twice when George Bailey sees what life is like if he was Ret Gone. He mentions to his mother that he last saw her brother-in-law Uncle Billy "Today, over at his house." She replies, "IT'S A LIE! He's been in the insane asylum ever since he lost his business." George himself says this when Guardian Angel Clarence tells him that his brother Harry "broke through the ice and was drowned at the age of nine." George snaps, "THAT'S A LIE! Harry Bailey went to war! He got the Congressional Medal of Honor! He saved the lives of every man on that transport!"
- Finding Neverland: "Stop lying to me! I'm sick of grownups lying to me!" Peter really hates it when adults downplay the severity of the situation.
- In Batman & Robin: "You Lie!" Mr. Freeze yells in response to Poison Ivy telling him that Batman killed his wife. In truth, she is the one who pulled the plug on his wife's cryo chamber in a bid to Murder the Hypotenuse.
- The Mystery of Blue Harbor, a movie made by a local amateur film club featured the line "You are a lying liar from Liarton, New Hampliar, and I don't believe your lying lies!"
- Cary Elwes' character in Saw, after being told by his wife that the other guy chained up in a dirty bathroom with him lies. "Stop the lies! You're a liar!"
- The Room: Johnny's response when Lisa tries to get sympathy from other people by claiming that Johnny beats her: "Yawr lyin', I nevur hit joo. YU ARE TEARIN' ME A-PAHRT, LISA!!"
- In The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash, an old bluesman tells the reporter (Eric Idle) that the Rutles stole his music, only to be interrupted by his wife with "He's lyin'! He's always lyin'!" She then says the everytime someone does a documentary about some white rock band he falsely claims to have been robbed by them.
- The Princess Bride with Miracle Max and his wife.
Max: You're right, that is a noble cause. But what he really said was "to blaive" which obviously means "to bluff" which means you probably were playing cards and he cheated!
Max's Wife: "LIAR! LIARLIARLIARLIARLIARLIARLIAR LIIIIIAAAAARRR!
- Elf: "You sit on a throne of lies!"
- In Anatomy of a Murder, when Jailhouse Snitch Duane Miller gives testimony that sounds highly incriminating, the defendant suddenly roars: "You're a liar! You're a lousy stinking liar!"
- Played for Laughs in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. When King Arthur chops off the Black Knight's arm, he remarks that he's "had worse", to which Arthur responds "You lie!".
- A heartbreaking example in Catching Fire: At the end, when Haymitch has failed in his promise to Katniss to get Peeta out of the arena safely, Katniss throws herself on him, screaming, "Liar!" and hitting him until they sedate her, when she collapses, still sobbing, "You're a liar."
- In The World Is Not Enough, Renard does his usual, "You cannot kill me because I'm already dead." Badass Boast to James Bond near the end, and Bond retorts (referring to Renard's lover Elektra), "So is she." Renard goes berserk on Bond while screaming that he is a liar.
- Stargate Continuum: After the Ba'al clone gloats about the plan which the original Ba'al has set in motion, Teal'c looks him in the eye and calmly states "He lies". O'Neill's response: "He does that, you know".
- Harry Potter
- In Deathly Hallows, Harry shouts "LIES!" to no one in particular when first reading some of the media references to Dumbledore's Feet of Clay. The melodrama of this is lampshaded in that a Muggle neighbor is shown to overhear and glance around nervously.
- I must not tell lies. The real kicker about this is that while people throughout the course of the book accuse Harry of being unhinged, a prima donna, and/or a Glory Hound, and Fudge makes reference to his "cock and bull stories," Umbridge is the only one to outright call Harry a liar to his face.
- King Tirian in The Last Battle. "Ape, you lie damnably. You lie like a Calormene. You lie like an ape." There would have been more, but he got smacked down before he could finish.
- The Lord of the Rings: Said by Gríma Wormtongue. Repeatedly. To the point where Gandalf calls him out on it at one point.
"That word comes too oft and easy from your lips," said Gandalf. "I do not lie."
- In The Film of the Book it's the first thing he says, and Éomer is banished because of this. Of course, Éomer is the one telling the truth.
- In the first Daughter of the Lioness:
Aly: He's lying!Sarai: I know that. His mouth is moving, isn't it?
- Al Franken's book Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair And Balanced Look At The Right. And that's all we have to say on the matter.
- In Skin Game, when Harry is asked why he doesn't trust Nicodemus, he says it's because he's a "lying liar who lies".
- The Doctor Who episode "Dalek" sees the title character respond to the Doctor's claim to have wiped out the Dalek race with "YOU LIE!" Unfortunately for the Dalek, the Doctor was telling the truth. As far as he knew.
- According to River Song; "Rule number one: The Doctor lies."
- And the Doctor might just have found his match in Clara, a selfproclaimed "incredible liar". Yeah, a perfect match in terms of ego, too.
- Freddie says this to Sam during one certain insult, and again when Spencer accuses Freddie of lying when he proves that his Galaxy Wars prop is fake.
- Also in "iStart a Fan War", when Carly says nobody is dating, after a brief moment of silence, out of nowhere a congressman-like person shouts, "YOU lie!" and the fan war continues. The scene was a Shout-Out to Joe Wilson saying the same thing to Barack Obama.
- Maury: Maury Povich's "That's a lie" during any of his shows concerning the results of a lie detector test.
- Can occur on the Panel Show Would I Lie to You? if a panelist has been particularly bad at selling a story. This is likely to result in a hilarious reaction if it then turns out that the story is actually true.
- In Hannibal Will's lawyer has this as his entire strategy against Freddie Lound's testimony.
Lawyer: Miss Lounds, could you please remind me how how many times you've been sued for libel?Freddie: Six.Lawyer: I'm sorry?Freddie: Six.Lawyer: And how many times did you settle?Freddie: Six.Lawyer: Six...Thank you, nothing further.
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: Repeatedly in "I Accuse My Parents":
Joel, Crow, and Tom: Liar! Liar! Liar!
- "Liar" by Emilie Autumn is about a former lover(s) that lied to her.
- "Liar" by Sex Pistols
- "Liar" by Megadeth is the tale of a liar with an extremely dysfunctional family. Supposedly inspired by former Megadeth guitarist Chris Poland.
- "Liar, Liar" by The Castaways
- And this super obvious one by The Band Perry called "You Lie"
- Emilia to Iago in Othello, after she finds out that he told Othello that Desdemona was unfaithful:
You told a lie, an odious damned lie,
Upon my soul, a lie, a wicked lie!
- In Tosca, when Scarpia tells Tosca how her lover is being subjected to Cold-Blooded Torture in the next room, her voice hits high C on an outburst of "Non č ver, non č ver!" ("It's not true, it's not true!")
- In Götterdämmerung, when Siegfried tells Brünnhilde that Gunther is now her husband, she exclaims in shock: "I? Gunther? Thou liest!"
- Lampshaded in The Moon Is Blue, when Don is denying that anything happened between him and Cynthia when she spent the night in his apartment:
David: She claims that...
Don: She lies. I never touched her. Moreover, I don't believe you. She'd never say...
David: She told me, definitely, that you...
Don: She lies.
David: Quit yapping "she lies" in that dramatic fashion before I can even finish a sentence. Let me try to recall exactly what she did say.
- William Shakespeare, in Much Ado About Nothing, has Dogberry list a whole pile of variations on "They lie" after he uncovers the plot against Hero.
- Penny and Aggie: "Stop lying, you liar!"
- The Order of the Stick zigzags this trope several times... in only one strip. Here it is.
- In Far Out, the main character's protests are dismissed as this.
- Episode 20 of Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series has Rebecca Hawkins do this to Grandpa.
- A large amount of the customers featured on Not Always Right assume that whenever they don't get their way at a store, then the person they are talking to is lying to weasel out of doing any work. This usually results in accusing the person to their face or running off to tell a manager.
- From Atop the Fourth Wall, "You are... confusing me. You are attempting a deception!"
- American Dad!: Stan cannot handle Hayley's denial that she was carrying a bottle of rum:
Stan: "Lies! It's like you have to lie to live! You're a liabetic! You have LIE-abetes! Twice a day you have to take a shot of insu-LIE-in!"
- Family Guy:
Lois: "Meg, if you don't want to babysit anymore, that's fine, but don't you stand there and lie to me."
- Meg claims that she has a boyfriend named Darren Mitchelstork who's the "chairman of the soccer ball team". Lois doesn't buy it, but humors her for a moment before laughing and calling Meg a "little liar".
- When Meg tells Lois she could be having a life on Saturday night:
- Invader Zim. As in the above quote.
- The Simpsons:
Dentist: How often do you brush, Ralph?Ralph Wiggum: Three times a day, sir.Ralph Wiggum: *in tears* You're right, I don't brush! I don't brush!
- "Lies make baby Jesus cry."
- "Last Exit to Springfield":
Marge Simpson: Ned, I hate to say this, but I think God has packed up and left Springfield.Ned Flanders: No! You're lying, you're lying! What makes you lie?! *breaks down crying*
- And also:
- On The Venture Bros., The Monarch cross-examines Hank:
"Well, Hank... what's it like to be... a LIAR?! YOU LIKE BEING A LIAR, WITH PANTS CONSTANTLY ON FIRE?"
- Futurama: Bender responds with the accusation that he is being used as a beer distiller with "Lies! Lies and slander!"... right before he burps up a bit of yeast.
- The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack: "You LIED! If you were a treasure chest, you would LIE at the bottom of the ocean! You would LIE in a LIEGHTHOUSE full of LIEONS and LIEMA BEANS!"
- "Boy, that guy sure sounds like a really big liar."
- During the Grand Finale of Transformers Animated, Lugnut and Shockwave have a Cat Fight - ahem, row over which of them is the most loyal to Megatron. As Megatron facepalms at two of his soldiers acting like protoforms, you can hear Shockwave going "Liar, lying liar!"
- Looney Tunes short "Beanstalk Bunny", with Daffy Duck as Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk, Elmer Fudd as the giant, and Bugs Bunny along for the ride.
Elmer: I smell the bwood of an English wabbit!
Bugs: Look, mac. You're the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk, right?
Bugs: And the giant in Jack and the Beanstalk wasn't after no rabbit, he was after Jack. Right?
Elmer: Well, I guess maybe that is wight.
Bugs: Well, then... [points at Daffy] He is Jack.
Daffy: It's a lie! It's a lie! My name is... Aloysius! His name is Jack! Jack Rabbit!
Bugs: Oh, no. You're Jack.
Daffy: I am not! You're Jack!
Bugs: You are Jack, and you know it because it is a fact.
Elmer: I guess I'll just have to open with a pair of Jacks!
- In the two-part season 2 premiere of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Twilight must deal with her broken and mindraped friends. Two of which, Rarity and Applejack, become a hoarder and a compulsive liar respectively. Her patience finally breaks while she's trying to get the reference guide to the Elements of Harmony from Rarity.
Twilight: Where is she? Where's Rarity?
Applejack: Beats me.
(Big Ball of Violence ensues)
- Rainbow Dash to Fluttershy regarding why she can't trust Discord in "Keep Calm and Flutter On" after Discord claims that he never thought of trying to drive a wedge between the ponies so that they wouldn't use the Elements of Harmony against him.
- The Powerpuff Girls: In the episode "A Very Special Blossom", the Professor is put in jail when found with the Pro Excellence 2000 golf clubs stolen from the golf store. Blossom was the one who stole them but claimed Mojo Jojo sold them to her; she had previously told her sisters that she found them.
Buttercup: Come on, tell the truth!
Bubbles: Yeah, you big fat liar!
- Teen Titans: In the episode "The Beast Within" Beast Boy screams this when everybody claims that he attacked Raven.
- In one episode of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Space Ghost cheerfully asks Moltar to come over after telling an obvious lie. When he does, Space Ghost begins slapping him.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender: What's Zuko's Survival Mantra for dealing with his evil sister?
Zuko: Azula always lies, Azula always lies, Azula always lies....
Zuko: You lied to me!Azula: Oh, like I've never done that before.
- Even when Zuko manages to embrace this fact, Azula gleefully embraces it.
- Arthur gets this from the Tough Customers when coming clean about not being a habitual thief.
Rattles: You big liar! You lied! You're just a...lie-y liar! You big...lying...lie-face!
- United States Representative Addison Graves "Joe" Wilson (R-SC) interrupted an address to a joint session of Congress by shouting "YOU LIE!" at President Barack Obama. This quickly became a huge deal.
- Jeremy Paxman, a journalist famous for his tenacious and often confrontational interviewing style, once said that when interviewing politicians the question he always had in the back of his mind was "why is this lying bastard lying to me?"