"General Heydrich, I have the real feeling I "evacuated" 30,000 Jews already by shooting them in Riga. Is what I did "evacuation"? When they fell, were they "evacuated"? There are another 20,000 awaiting similar "evacuation". I find it useful to know what words mean."Someone uses a euphemism, Last-Second Word Swap or something similar, and someone else blurts out exactly what the first person meant. It generally comes in two versions: Ditz and Intentional. Ditz version is just the person figuring it out for himself. Intentional being the euphemism is too insulting/obvious or the character simply doesn't care, and so busts the euphemism. The euphemism may or may not be unusual. Compare and contrast Lampshaded Double Entendre, Don't Explain the Joke.
— SS-Sturmbannführer Rudolf Lange, Conspiracy
Examples:Films — Animated
- Scar has to backtrack and Euphemism Bust himself in The Lion King thanks to dumb hyenas:
Shenzi: Yeah, be prepared! We'll be prepared! Uh...for what?Scar: For the death of the king!Banzai: What, is he sick?Scar: No, you fool, we're going to kill him.
- From Mallrats:
Brandi: Second suitor: if we were making whoopee, what sounds would you make?Brodie: Wait, what's whoopee?Brandi: You know, being intimate.Brodie: What? Like fucking?
- A darker example in Conspiracy, a drama about the Wannsee Conference, during which the provisional plans for the 'Final Solution' were outlined; the term 'evacuation' is frequently used to describe the Nazi plans for the Jewish and other 'undesirables' in conquered territory. After about an hour of this Lange, the only one at the table currently active in combat stands up.
Lange: I have the real feeling I evacuated 30,000 Jews already by shooting them. Is what I did evacuation?
- But I'm a Cheerleader
Hilary: There's no inappropriate behaviour allowed.Megan: Inappropriate...like swearing?Graham: No, inappropriate like fucking. You get caught in the throes of sodomy and it's au revoir.
- A famous WWII fighter pilot is giving an inspirational speech to a girls' school.
PILOT: ...and remember, ladies, no matter how sticky the situation, you can always get out of it. For instance: back in the war I was in a terrible dogfight - there was one fucker behind me, one on top of me and one to my left-HEADMISTRESS: [leaping to her feet] Girls, girls, if you don't know, there was a type of German aircraft called a Focker.PILOT: That's right. [beat] Although these fuckers were flying in Messerschmidts...
Elliot: Those gyno girls are really putting the pressure on. We must have looked at a hundred women's bajingos today! Bajingo, bajingo, bajingo. I mean, I can't even look at my own bajingo.Carla: Is that because it looks so much like a vagina?Elliot: Carla, there's people!
Narrator: And in the pouch will be... let's call it 'genetic legacy'Jamie: Genetic legacy? It's sperm. Every kid in grade school knows that. Helps make babies, you know?
Topher: He seemed to be having a kind of...man-reaction.Dr. Saunders: A what?Topher: A, you know, reaction that a man — person might have in the...you know, the...naked part. Shower. Victor.Dr. Saunders: Victor had an erection?Topher: I prefer man-reaction.
- In Lost this overlaps with Censorship by Spelling. Hurley doesn't want to talk about the dead in front of a kid (Walt), so he spells it out:
Hurley: But what about the B-O-D-Y-S?Michael: What are you trying to spell, man, "bodies"?Walt: B-O-D-I-E-S.
- On Chappelle's Show, a parody of a PBS Frontline documentary has the narrator (a white man) warn viewers:
WarningNarrator: For viewers sensitive to issues of race, be advised that the following piece contains gratuitous use of the "N" word.[Beat]Narrator: And by the "N" word, I mean Nigger.[Beat]Narrator: There, I said it.
- A variant from an episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun:
Sally: He said he wanted to sleep with me. I wanted sex, but seeing as he was tired I decided to just go home.
- An un-lampshaded version in Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Mayor: No slayer of mine is going to live in a fleabag motel. That place has a very unsavory reputation. There are immoral liaisons going on there.Faith: Yeah, plus all the screwing.
- In Star Trek: The Original Series, Harry Mudd describes how he wound up on the android planet after getting arrested for one of his scams:
Mudd: Well, of course I... left.
Kirk: He broke jail.
Mudd: I, ah, borrowed transportation...
Kirk: He stole a spaceship.
Mudd: ...the patrol reacted in a hostile manner...
Kirk: They fired at him.
- Star Trek Online has this exchange between Proconsul D'Tan of the Romulan Republic and an uninvited visitor in his office.
Khiana: Allow me to introduce myself. I am Subcommander Khiana, and I represent... certain individuals interested in the future of the Romulan people.D'Tan: Don't patronize me. You mean the Tal Shiar.
- Ménage à 3: Thanks to Gary's intermittent lack of an indoor voice, when he busts Tracy's euphemism for the second job she does to pay the bills, he triggers an understandable Face Palm,
Tracy: I do a little, ummmm, crowdfunded R-rated video performance.Gary: You're a SEX CAMGIRL?!
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series:
Joey: Shut up, Tristan! You just wanna get into [my sister]'s pants!Tristan: No I don't. I want to have sex with her!Tristan: Oooooooh, that's what you meant...!
- Lampshaded in the Ego Raptor production Girl Chan In Paradise when Yusuke gets mad and starts pronouncing the word fuck with an elongated f noise, only to have Kenstar interrupt and ask if he's about to say the f word. Yusuke's response is "You mean.... fuck!" Kenstar then gives a subdued response "Yes, that would be it."
- Spongebob Squarepants, "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost":
Spongebob: Squidward! He's... he's... pushing up daisies!Patrick: Oh, I thought he was dead.