Someone uses a euphemism, Last-Second Word Swap
or something similar, and someone else blurts out exactly what the first person meant.
It generally comes in two versions: Ditz and Intentional. Ditz version is just the person figuring it out for himself. Intentional being the euphemism is too insulting/obvious or the character simply doesn't care, and so busts the euphemism.
The euphemism may or may not be unusual
. Compare and contrast Lampshaded Double Entendre
, Don't Explain the Joke
Live Action TV
Elliot: Those gyno girls are really putting the pressure on. Who wants to look at a hundred women's bajingos today? Bajingo, bajingo, bajingo. I mean, I can't even look at my own bajingo.
Carla: Is that because it looks so much like a vagina?
Elliot: Carla, there's people!
Narrator: And in the pouch will be... let's call it 'genetic legacy'
Jamie: Genetic Legacy? It's sperm. Every kid in grade school knows that. Helps make babies, you know?
Topher: He seemed to be having a kind of...man-reaction.
Dr. Saunders: A what?
Topher: A, you know, reaction that a man — person might have in the...you know, the...naked part. Shower. Victor.
Dr. Saunders: Victor had an erection?
Topher: I prefer man-reaction.
- In LOST this overlaps with Censorship by Spelling. Hurley doesn't want to talk about the dead in front of a kid (Walt), so he spells it out:
Hurley: But what about the B-O-D-Y-S?
Michael: What are you trying to spell, man, "bodies"?
- On Chappelle's Show, a parody of a PBS Frontline documentary has the narrator (a white man) warn viewers:
Narrator: For viewers sensitive to issues of race, be advised that the following piece contains gratuitous use of the "N" word.
Narrator: And by the "N" word, I mean Nigger.
Narrator: There, I said it.
- A variant from an episode of 3rd Rock from the Sun:
Sally: He said he wanted to sleep with me. I wanted sex, but seeing as he was tired I decided to just go home.
- An un-lampshaded version in Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Mayor: No slayer of mine is going to live in a fleabag motel. That place has a very unsavory reputation. There are immoral liaisons going on there.
Faith: Yeah, plus all the screwing.
- From Mallrats:
Brandi: Second suitor: if we were making whoopee, what sounds would you make?
Brodie: Wait, what's whoopee?
Brandi: You know, being intimate.
Brodie: What? Like fucking?
- Scar has to backtrack and Euphemism Bust himself in The Lion King thanks to dumb hyenas:
Shenzi: Yeah, be prepared! We'll be prepared! For what?
Scar: For the death of the king!
Scar: No, you fool, we're going to kill him.
- A darker example in Conspiracy, a drama about the Wannsee Conference, during which the provisional plans for the 'Final Solution' were outlined; the term 'evacuation' is frequently used to describe the Nazi plans for the Jewish and other 'undesirables' in conquered territory.
Lange: I have the real feeling I evacuated 30,000 Jews already by shooting them. Is what I did evacuation?
- But I'm a Cheerleader
Hilary: There's no inappropriate behaviour allowed.
Megan: Inappropriate...like swearing?
Graham: No, inappropriate like fucking. You get caught in the throes of sodomy and it's au revoir.
- A famous WWII fighter pilot is giving an inspirational speech to a girls' school.
PILOT: ...and remember, ladies, no matter how sticky the situation, you can always get out of it. For instance: back in the war I was in a terrible dogfight - there was one fucker
behind me, one on top of me and one to my left-
HEADMISTRESS: [leaping to her feet] Girls, girls, if you don't know, there was a type of German aircraft called a Focker.
PILOT: That's right. [beat] Although these fuckers were flying in Messerschmidts...
- Yu Gi Oh The Abridged Series:
Joey: "Shut up, Tristan! You just wanna get into [my sister]'s pants!"
Tristan: "No I don't. I want to have sex with her!"
Tristan: "Oooooooh, that's what you meant...!"