Leela: We have to keep our Secret Identities secret!Especially Zoidberg refers to when one character makes an absolute statement, to which another character replies, "Even X?" The inevitable response will be "Especially X." Sometimes X can be an obvious exception, and sometimes X can be someone of great importance to the character who asks about them. In the second case, it is typically the villain who gloats, "Especially Fred/ Your Mom /Mr. Chuckles." Compare and contrast My Friends... and Zoidberg.
Fry: From everybody?!
Leela: Especially from everybody!
Fry: From everybody?!
Leela: Especially from everybody!
open/close all folders
- A Walk to Remember
Jamie: I didn't want anybody to be weird around me.
Landon: Including me?
Jamie: Especially you!
- Between Iraq And A Hard Place
Saddam Hussein: Before I took over Kuwait in 1990, I meet American ambassador, I say, "You got a problem with this?" She say, "We have no opinion on your Arab-Arab conflicts".
Krishnan Guru-Murthy: Even Kuwait?
Saddam Hussein: Especially Kuwait. They said so specifically. So I invade Kuwait, and Oy Gewalt.
- Buchanan Rides Alone:
Lew Agry: You don't like this town?
Tom Buchanan: I don't like some of its people.
Lew Agry: Me included?
Tom Buchanan: You especially.
- Problem Child:
Big Ben Healy: Is there a lesson to be learned from all this? How about don't trust anyone?
Little Ben Healy: Not even your own father?
Big Ben Healy: Especially your own father!
- In the Clint Eastwood western High Plains Drifter, the Stranger forces the residents of Lago to literally paint the town red. The town's corrupt preacher objects to this.
Preacher: Even the church?The Stranger: Especially the church!
- The Apartment:
Baxter: You're not going to bring anybody to my apartment.
Sheldrake: I'm not just bringing anybody; I'm bringing Miss Kubelik.
Baxter: Especially not Miss Kubelik.
- The Replacements:
Annabelle Farrell: Nothing personal, Shane, but I don't date football players.
Shane Falco: I don't blame you. Not even quarterbacks?
Annabelle Farrell: Especially not quarterbacks. You guys are the biggest babies of all.
- Batman Begins:
Thomas Wayne: All creatures feel fear.
Bruce Wayne (age 8): Even the scary ones?
Thomas Wayne: Especially the scary ones.
- Drillbit Taylor:
Drillbit Taylor: You'd be surprised; anything can be turned into a weapon of mayhem or destruction.
Emmit: Even a puppy?
Drillbit Taylor: Especially a puppy.
Dr. Dakota Block: And if anyone comes to the door that isn't me, I want you to shoot them. Okay? I'm not kidding, Tony, you shoot them in the head.
Tony Block: What if it's Dad?
Dr. Dakota Block: Especially if it's your dad.
- Saving Private Ryan
Captain Miller: We all have orders, and we have to follow 'em. That supersedes everything, including your mothers.
Private Reiben: Even if you think the mission's FUBAR, sir?
Captain Miller: Especially if you think the mission's FUBAR.
- Dirty Harry:
De Georgio: Ah, that's one thing about our Harry, doesn't play any favorites! Harry hates everybody: Limeys, Micks, Hebes, Fat Dagos, Niggers, Honkies, Chinks, you name it.
Gonzales: How does he feel about Mexicans?
De Georgio: Ask him.
Harry Callahan: Especially Spics.
- Edward Scissorhands
Jim: If we go back my father will prosecute.Kim: His own son?Jim: Especially his own son.
- From Andrew Barlow's "All I Really Need To Know I Learned By Having My Arms Ripped Off By A Polar Bear":
"Share everything. You might be thinking, Really? Even with polar bears? Yes, share especially with polar bears."
- A Song of Ice and Fire; in A Clash of Kings Tyrion and Littlefinger talk:
Littlefinger: The queen will never allow that.Tyrion: Oh, I think she may. I am her brother, and when you've known me longer, you'll learn that I mean everything I say.Littlefinger: Even the lies?Tyrion: Especially the lies.
- When Mance Rayder tells everyone to get out of his tent so he can speak with Jon privately, Tormund Giantsbane asks if that includes him. Especially him, of course.
- From Lois McMaster Bujold's Memory, Miles has figured out that current head of Imperial Security is the criminal he's been looking for and has figured out how to expose him, but first he has to make sure the scapegoat the villain had arrested for that crime doesn't "commit suicide" in his holding cell. He tells the officer in charge of the holding cells:
"You will permit no one else—no one, not even your own superiors," especially your own superiors, "to enter the prisoner's block until I return."
Live Action TV
- Community episode "Advanced Gay"
Abed whispers in Shirley's ear why Hawthorne Wipes brand moist towelettes are popular in the gay community.
Shirley: (looks shocked) Oh my! Even Bruce Vilanch?
Jeff: Especially Bruce Vilanch.
- Due South episode "Bird in the Hand"
Fraser: Don't let anyone go in or out of that door.
Constable Turnbull: Including myself?
Fraser: Especially not yourself.
- Frasier episode "The Impossible Dream"
Frasier: You refused to take me to see "West Side Story" on my eighth birthday.
Martin: Well, because of the gangs. That's scary for kids.
Frasier: Even gangs that dance?
Martin: Especially gangs that dance!
- How I Met Your Mother episode "We're Not from Here"
Marshall: If I die under suspicious circumstances, beware. Trust no one, not even Ted. [pause] Especially Ted.
- Third Watch
Carlos: You shouldn't exceed the recommended dose of any medication unless you first consult your physician.
Kathy: Even if I'm just taking them to get high?
Carlos: Especially then.
- Yes, Prime Minister episode "One Of Us''
Geoffrey: We don't want any more irresponsible ill-informed press speculation.
James Hacker: Even if it's accurate.
Geoffrey: Oh, especially if it's accurate.
- 30 Rock episode "Reunion"
Jack Donaghy: Well, I forgive you... [glances at her nametag] ...Jessica.
Jessica Speyer: Really? Even for...
Jack Donaghy: Especially for that.
- Dawson's Creek episode "Castaways"
Joey: You were wanting to kiss me all night?
Joey: Even when you were yelling at me.
Pacey: Especially when I was yelling at you.
- Battlestar Galactica "Six of One"
Lee Adama: Besides, I never really could say no to anything.
Starbuck: Except me.
Lee Adama: Especially you.
- Get Smart episode "The Day Smart Turned Chicken"
Maxwell Smart: Now remember, doctor, I want you to wipe everything from your memory.
Dr. Fish: Wipe everything from my memory. Eh... even my $12?
Maxwell Smart: Especially your $12.
- Monarch of the Glen
Lexie: Wanted by whom?
Archie: By everyone.
Lexie: Including you?
Archie: Especially me.
- Shakespeare Re-Told episode "The Taming of the Shrew"
Petruchio: Well, you're my wife. You agree with everything I say.
Kate: Do I? What, even when you're wrong?
Petruchio: Especially then.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "The Passenger"
Quark: It's good to want things.
Odo: Even things you can't have?
Quark: Especially things I can't have.
- Episode "The Wire"
Dr. Bashir: Out of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?
Garak: My dear Doctor, they're all true.
Dr. Bashir: Even the lies?
Garak: Especially the lies.
- Episode "The Wire"
- Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Ensign Ro"
Ensign Ro Laren: I really don't know who to trust anymore.
Guinan: Including yourself?
Ensign Ro Laren: Oh... especially myself.
- The Thick of It
Terri Coverley: Do they all hate it? The Times?
Malcolm Tucker: Especially The Times.
- Friends: Joey has found an engagement ring in Ross' bag and when Joey picks it up, Rachel thinks he's proposing and says yes. Phoebe knows about the ring and so, when Rachel brings up that she's engaged, she assumes Ross proposed. This leads to this conversation:
Phoebe: Everyone has been waiting for you two to get together.
Rachel: Really? Even Ross?
Phoebe: ...especially Ross!
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the unaired pilot.
Buffy: Ah... Film Club.
Xander: They spend their time deciding that every movie is an existential meditation on Freudian sexuality.
Buffy: Even The Muppets Take Manhattan?
Xander: Especially The Muppets Take Manhattan.
- My Nameis Earl episode "Bullies":
Earl: I'm not going to defend you anymore. And while we're at it, I'm not gonna kiss your boo-boos any more either, that's getting a little awkward.
Randy: Even when we're alone?
Earl: Especially when we're alone.
- Bottom episode "Apocalypse"
[Eddie is dressed up as the Grim Reaper]Eddie: I keep telling you mate. I'm Death, I know everything.
Richie: Everything? What, even about the...?
Eddie: Especially that, you naughty boy.
Sam: Just because you're obsessed with all that Wild West-stuff...Dean: No I'm not!Sam: You have a fetish, Dean!Dean: Shut up, I like old movies...Sam: You can recite every Clint Eastwood movie ever made! Line for line!Bobby: Even the monkey-movies?Sam: Especially the Monkey moviesDean: His name is Clyde!
- Castle and his daughter were watching a zombie movie at the start of the episode, but he gets called away on a plot hook. At the end of the episode, he's consoling her over her boy troubles.
Castle: When two people care about each other, really care about each other, anything is possible.Alexis: (turning on the TV) Even flesh-eating zombies?Castle: Especially flesh-eating zombies.
- Murdoch Mysteries, episode "Who Killed the Electric Carriage?": Inspector Brackenreid finds out that his wife (who's been giving him a hard time about his drinking) and other ladies from Temperance League participate in bloody gambling, so he orders Constable Crabtree to arrest everybody in the bloody den.
Constable Crabtree: Sir? What? Even your wife?Inspector Brackenreid: Especially the wife! *ominous music starts playing*
Simon (to Kaylee): You know...you're really pretty. Even when you're covered in engine grease. (beat) No, especially when you're covered in engine grease.
- Father Brown:
Father Brown: Mankind was made in the image of god. It is my duty to remind people of that.Inspector Valentine: Even the atheists?Father Brown: Especially the atheists!
- This article about a lady building a home on wheels opens with "Building your own house is a big accomplishment. Even when itís 130 square feet. Especially when it's 130 square feet."
- Peanuts - Violet wishes she could move, complaining "Everyone around here bores me." Charlie Brown, hoping to be the exception, asks "Everyone?" She pointedly answers "Especially everyone!"
- One can find this trope in Christianity. ""You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," (Matthew 5:43-45).
- A twitter conversation with Ubisoft about Assassin's Creed III:
Ubisoft: In Assassins Creed 3, every victim as well as the time and location of their death were inspired by real-life events.Response: EVEN THE BEARS!?Ubisoft: ESPECIALLY the bears.
- Ittle Dew has the introductory dialog of Itan Carver's shop, in which there's a huge swordfish hanging from the ceiling:
Itan: Carved all these items myself. I did!Tippsie: What, even the swordfish?Itan: Especially the swordfish!
- The Non-Adventures of Wonderella:
Sad Vampire: As a noble vampire, I only suck the blood of unattractive animals.
Rita Sue: Even capybaras?
Sad Vampire: Especially capybaras.
- El Goonish Shive: This comic.
Susan: I HATE THIS STUPID SCHOOL AND EVERYONE IN IT!
Elliot: ...Even us?
Susan: ESPECIALLY YOU!
- Girl Genius: Here.
Lackya: Master Gilgamesh! The baron demands you attend him - now!
Lackya: Right now!
Lackya: I have never seen him so angry!
Gilgamesh: Um... with me?
Lackya: Especially with you!
- I'm My Own Mascot: Here, talking about the Internet being a medium for stupidization:
Roxane: Even LOLCats?
Kevin: Especially Lolcats.
- Least I Could Do: In Rayne's Alternate History novel where he kills Hitler and takes over the Third Reich, an assistant tells him that the Jews, Gypsies and mentally handicapped are asking for reparations. He tells the assistant to give each of them a tank.
Assistant: Including the mentally handicapped?
Rayne: [Grinning] Especially the mentally handicapped.
Helen: Don't tell anyone about this.
Artie: What about Mell?
Helen: Especially Mell.
Helen: Let's start over...
- Note that Artie only has three people he can talk to at this point: Mell, Dave, and Helen herself.
- Questionable Content briefly mentions J. Edward Runcible, an anti-European conspiracy theorist who tried to introduce legislation which would have "outlawed Europe as a continent, with special emphasis on the Swedes."
- The Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal strip about [[the ugly duckling.
"Even his trophy wife?""Especially his trophy wife."
- Also in this strip's bonus (hover mouse over the red dot).
- Sluggy Freelance: Even the toaster oven? Especially the toaster oven.
- Schlock Mercenary: The discovery that his ship's AI is monitoring everything on the ship prompts Tagon to question "Even the showers?" To which the AI Petey predictably responds "Especially the showers." The AI is watching you in the shower, horror movie? Not this time.
- Somewhat more nuanced than some versions, as Petey has had Bad Experiences with his plumbing and mutiny in the past.
- The Homeowners' Association "Addendum to bylaws and regulations" in this Casey and Andy:
8) The residents of Wasatch 638 will also be burned.9) As will their cat.10) ESPECIALLY that damn cat.
- Precocious has one about sharing information on Noodle Incidents:
Dad: Hey, Kids! Rule #17: "Always check with your parents before sharing any family stories!"Kid: Even the Orlando one?Dad: Especially Orlando!! ...And you shouldn't know about Orlando!
- Our Little Adventure: In episode 546...
Umbria: When you're going through the land of winter, you gotta be prepared for anything.They see a bunch of zombies headed towards them.Kergak: Even the zombie apocalypse?Umbria: Especially the zombie apocalypse.
- The Order of the Stick has Durkon give his opinion on being a dwarf:
Durkon: Bein' a dwarf is about doin' your duty, even if it makes ye miserable. ESPECIALLY if it makes ye miserable!
- Whomp! has Agrias confess that she doesn't actually defecate. When Ronnie asks how she removes solids, she warns him against eating anything from the trash.
Ronnie: Even Jolly Ranchers?Agrias: Especially Jolly Ranchers.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series:
Melvin: I have doomed you to exist in your own worst nightmare: a world where everyone's breasts are bigger than yours!
Mai Valentine: Even Tristan's?
Melvin: Especially Tristan's.
Tristan: My briz-easts are off the hiz-ouse.
Croquet: Yeah... everyone involved with the production of the Egyptian God Cards was killed.
Pegasus: What? Even Chad from accounting?
[Cut to a man being thrown through a skyscraper window]
Croquet: Especially Chad from accounting.
Rex: Everybody in this music video is a giant slut.
- From the "We'll Be There" - Rex & Weevil video;
Weevil: Whoa? Really? Even Yugi?
Rex: Especially Yugi.
- A Very Potter Musical:
Harry: "All the horcruxes are gone, I destroyed them all."
Voldemort: "What!? Even my... Zefron poster!?"
Harry: "Especially the Zefron poster!"
- In fact, the Zefrom poster is the only one Harry destroyed. Dumbledore had destroyed all the others before Hary even learned they existed.
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged: After Goku arrives to battle the Saiyans, he notices everyone who's already died.
Goku: ...Tienshinhan, Piccolo, Yamcha. Oh wow, especially Yamcha.
- From the How It Should Have Ended Extended Scene for Star Trek
Kirk: Scotty, I want you to jettison every crew member wearing a red shirt and any spare parts you can find.[...]Scotty: Everything's got to go.Red Shirt: I know. But... even the cannon?
- 101 Dalmatians: The Series
Rolly: This was a lot more fun than just sitting around watching TV... even the Gravy Channel!
Cadpig, Lucky and Spot: Especially the Gravy Channel!
- From the Spiral Zone episode "Small Packages":
General McFarland: The zone riders are your family.
Dirk Courage: Does that include you?
General McFarland: Especially me.
- The Simpsons: While the family is watching a Troy McClure The Ten Commandments movie:
God: Thou shalt taketh two of every creature!
Troy: [writing down] Two creatures...
God: Two of every creature!
Troy: Even stink beetles?
God: Especially stink beetles!
- Sideshow Bob shows up at the Simpsons' door.
Fry: From everybody?!Leela: Especially from everybody!
- A hilariously nonsensical and non-Zoidberg example, from "Less than Hero":
Bender: Look, I love life and its pleasures as much as anyone here, except perhaps you, Hedonism Bot. But we need to be shut off! Especially you, Hedonism Bot.Hedonism Bot: I apologise for nothing!
- Bender also did it to himself in "Crimes of the Hot":
Mutant Doctor: In my professional opinion as an ear, ear, ear, nose and throat doctor, she is the least-mutated mutant ever born.Morris: And yet she's cursed to live the horrible degrading life of a mutant. Like all of us. Especially him! [Points at the Leg Mutant].Leg Mutant: It's true.
- A Running Gag throughout "Leela's Homeworld" is how the sewer mutants keep on using the Leg Mutant as the most definitive example of a hideously mutated individual.
Number 9 Guy: So dig this, Fry. Our commune's been monitoring the universe's life energy for, like, a really long time, and we're grokking some super-weird junk.Fry: I don't mean to be rude, but it's hard to take you seriously when you say junk like "grok" and "junk".Number 9 Guy: What about "commune"?Fry: Especially "commune". Come on, it's the fate of the universe. Puff it up a little.
- "Into the Wild Green Yonder":
- In one of the Bugs Bunny cartoons, Bugs finds that all the animals are running in terror from the Tasmanian Devil. He looks up "Tasmanian Devil" in an encyclopedia and finds a Long List of all the animals Devils like to eat. Bugs reads through the list, then says "What, no rabbits?" Taz tears off the page to reveal "And ESPECIALLY rabbits!"
- Earthworm Jim had an exchange between Bob the Goldfish and a Genie. "Destroy the universe!" "What, even the good parts?!" "(annoyed) Especially the good parts!"
- From The Batman episode "The Clayface of Tragedy"
Chief Rojas: Now while it may seem like Gotham PD has had a run of good fortune, our recent successes are no accident! Part of my new zero tolerance program against all freaks.Reporter: Include the Dark Knight? I mean, the Batman?Rojas: Especially the Batman.
- The Looney Tunes Show, "Besties". Daffy Duck is giving a speech on best friends, and the Goofy Gophers Mac and Tosh join in:
Mac: They support you over all others.Tosh: Even to the detriment of those others.Daffy: Especially to the detriment of those others!
- From the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episode "S'no Problem":
Robotnik: With this device, I'll be able to freeze every citizen on Mobius solid!Scratch: Even the pesky hedgehog?Robotnik: Especially the pesky hedgehog!
- Xiaolin Showdown, Season 2 Ep. 18.
Jack: But we can use [our Shen Gong Wu], right?Wuya: NO YOU FOOL! You musn't touch them!Jack: Not even the Monkey Staff?Wuya: Especially the Monkey Staff!Jack: Man, being evil is all so complicated.
- Invader Zim
GIR [over the skool intercom] Greetings, children of Earth! This is your new school announcer. A special surprise mandatory field trip is happening for the following lucky children. Morla, Flan, Red Rocky, everyone in Ms. Bitters's class except for Zim. And especially Dib. All these children get to go to a special place made entirely of food.
- In Tom and Jerry and The Wizard of Oz, the Wicked Witch of the West orders her flying monkeys to go after "the girl, her dog, and especially that cat and mouse." No, no explanation is given for why she especially wants Tom and Jerry.
We now apologize for making the word "especially" sound especially weird.