A Walk to Remember
is a weepy 2002 romantic drama tragedy about a bad boy
and a sweet Christian girl
who fall in love and are torn apart when one of them gets leukemia. Everything you can expect from Nicholas Sparks
notable for being the breakout acting role of teen pop princess Mandy Moore
, who also contributed to the soundtrack.
This film provides examples of:
- Altar the Speed: The young couple gets married after an extremely short courtship. Because he knows she's dying, and "getting married at the same church her mom did" was one of the things she wanted to do before she died. Sweet or saccharine? You decide.
- Beautiful All Along: Although she was never supposed to be "ugly" (just plain), Jamie has this moment during the scene in which she performs in the school play; as she takes off a black cape she is revealed in a blue silk dress, along with full hair and make-up for the first time.
- Bittersweet Ending: Jamie died three months after getting married with Landon, but Landon has already changed himself and even states in the end, that Jamie will always be with him.
- Black Best Friend: Eric.
- Dating What Daddy Hates
- Enforced Method Acting: During the production, the actors playing Mandy Moore's classmates were told to distance themselves from her for a period of time, so she would feel unpopular and unliked. According to Mandy Moore, it didn't go as planned, as they caught up and became close when they were told they could be civil to her.
- God-Is-Love Songs
- I'd Tell You, but Then I'd Have to Kill You: Joked at with Jamie.
- Ill Girl: Jamie, the whole movie's point
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Landon.
- Karma Houdini: Landon is part of a drunken "prank" that pretty much cripples another student. His punishment is being made to do some community service by the Principal, as opposed to, say, a criminal trial, or at the very least having to defend himself in a civil suit.
- Subverted, though, when he does try to make amends throughout the film.
- Like You Were Dying: the whole movie.
- Mood Whiplash: The movie starts out all fun and energetic - with the Breeders' "Cannonball" played over the opening credits - and you think it's going to be a typical lighthearted teen romance-drama. Needless to say, that comes crashing down.
- The Mourning After
- Never My Fault: Before they find out that Jamie has leukemia, some of Landon's friends apparently don't realize that maybe Landon wouldn't like it that they photoshopped Jamie's head onto a porn star's body, and seem to actually be confused when Landon pushes one of them and then slugs him in the face hard enough to knock him to the floor.
- Non-Actor Vehicle: perceived to be so.
- The Pollyanna: Jamie mostly is this; she is a devoutly religious girl who is always optimistic and faces her impending death gracefully.
- Preacher's Kid: Jamie.
- Product Placement: Remember the Star Registry? "Name a star after someone"? Well, Jamie gets her own star thanks to Landon.
- Troubled, but Cute: Landon.
- Uncle Tomfoolery: The Black Best Friend.
- Uptight Loves Wild
- Wham Line: When Jamie tells Landon she has leukemia.