Music / Clean Bandit
String-enhanced electronic dance music trio from Cambridge, UK consisting of Jack Patterson, Luke Patterson, and Grace Chatto. 2014 saw them release an enormously popular single, "Rather Be" (which spent four weeks at number one in the UK and is the best-selling single from the first half of the year) followed by a debut album New Eyes
. The group was initially a quartet prior to Neil Amin-Smith's departure mid-to-late 2016.
- Band of Relatives: Jack and Luke are brothers.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: The source of the name Clean Bandit, apparently from the Russian for "Utter Bastard".
- Bury Your Gays: The the video for "Symphony" tells the story of a gay man who is killed in a hit and run, his widowed partner's grief and their relationship before the tragedy.
- Disappeared Dad / Parental Abandonment: The protagonist of "Rockabye" is a single mother. The father has abandoned both of them shortly before the song.
- Dream Team: With Zara Larsson on "Symphony", Jess Glynne on "Rather Be" and "Real Love", and Anne-Marie and Sean Paul on "Rockabye".
- Hallucinations: The video for "Rather Be" involves a fan in Japan having hallucinations of the band's members and logo appearing everywhere in her day-to-day life.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: The protagonist in "Rockabye" is implied to be one. The music video confirms this.
- I Take Offense to That Last One!: Inverted. The narration at the start of "Mozart's House" says "So you think electronic music is boring? You think it's stupid? You think it's repetitive? Well, it is repetitive..."
- Mind Screw: The music video for "Rather Be". Just try to figure out what's going on.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: They're a neoclassical-pop-EDM group.
- Parents as People: The protagonist in "Rockabye" is a poor single mother, work as a prostitute who struggles to provide for her son but love him dearly and wants him to have a better life than she did.
- Self-Demonstrating Song: "Mozart's House": "I can make my voice sta!cca!to! / then mix it allll le...ga...to"
- Silly Love Song:
- "Rather Be", a song about a long distance relationship
- "Symphony", which the singer compare her love to a symphony and hope that it is reciprocated.
- The Smurfette Principle: Grace is the only female member in the band.
- Title Track: "New Eyes" on New Eyes, naturally.