David Lee Roth
"This must be just like livin' in paradise
(It's just like paradise)
And I don't want to go home
(And I ain't never goin' home)"
—David Lee Roth, "Just Like Paradise"
(b. 1955 in Bloomington, Indiana) is an American hard rock singer who first became famous as, and is best known as, the lead singer in Van Halen
. Roth famously split from the group after the 1984
album and was replaced by Sammy Hagar, setting off what may be the single biggest Fandom Rivalry
in music. His solo work, starting with Crazy from the Heat,
helped launch the career of Steve Vai
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
"Goin' crazy, goin' crazy, oooh, from the tropes!"
- Affectionate Parody: The video for "California Girls" starts with a Rod Serling-style voiceover, announcing that the characters are about to take a trip into "The Sunlight Zone".
- The Bartender: In the video for "She's My Machine."
- Blade on a Stick: The spear he carries at the start of the video for "Goin' Crazy."
- Carpet of Virility
- Cover Album: His solo debut, Crazy from the Heat, which included versions of The Beach Boys' "California Girls," the Edgar Winter Group's "Easy Street," the Lovin' Spoonful's "Coconut Grove," and Louis Prima's Medley of "Just a Gigolo"/"I Ain't Got Nobody."
- Diamond Dave is mostly covers of rock and Blues songs.
- Cover Version: "That's Life" (by Frank Sinatra, among others), "Tobacco Road" (written by John D. Loudermilk, originally recorded by the Nashville Teens)
- The Eighties
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: "Everybody's Got the Monkey"
- Facial Markings: On the cover of Eat 'Em and Smile
- Hair Metal: A significant influence at least as a member of Van Halen.
- Intercourse with You: "Bump and Grind," "Cheatin' Heart Cafe," "40 Below"
- Large Ham
- Lyrical Tic: "Ow! ow! ow!," "Whooo hooo!"
- Moral Guardians: Spoofed with the "Censorship Bored" in the video for "Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody"
- Oh Crap: From "Goin' Crazy":
"Remember dancing on the pier last night?
Got drunk and fell into the water
The big policeman wasn't laughing, didn't blink an eye
He said, 'You're messing with the mayor's daughter', oh no"
- Precision F-Strike: From "Two Fools a Minute":
"See, the meek shall inherit shit"
- Rated M for Manly
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: "The Dogtown Shuffle"
- Red Baron: "Diamond Dave"
- Self-Deprecation: From "Two Fools a Minute":
"See you in the funny papers
Guess that's where I'll be
They say two fools born a minute
Guess that makes me three"
- Self-Titled Album: Diamond Dave, DLR Band
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: Yes, generally no, and yes. Reportedly, Eddie Van Halen's cocaine problem was one of the issues that led to Roth leaving the band. However, he was arrested in Washington Square Park in New York City in April 1993 for buying a dime bag of marijuana.
- Statue of Liberty: "Yankee Rose"
- Translated Cover Version: Sonrisa Salvaje (Spanish for Savage Smile), a Spanish-language version of Eat 'Em and Smile.
- Two First Names