Music: The Hives
Garage Rock quintet from Fagersta, Sweden who have been described as Five Swedish meatballs and one of 50 Bands You Must See Before You Die◊.The band were formed in 1989, but changed the name to The Hives in 1993. Their first official release was the Ep Oh Lord! When? How? in 1996.Band members:
- Howlin' Pelle Almqvist (Pelle Almqvist) - lead vocals
- Nicholaus Arson (Niklas Almqvist) - guitar
- Vigilante Carlstroem (Mikael Karlsson Åström) - guitar
- Dr. Matt Destruction (Mattias Bernwall) - bass guitar
- Chris Dangerous (Christian Grahn) - drums, percussion
- Barely Legal (1997)
- Veni Vidi Vicious (2000)
- Your New Favourite Band (2001)(compilation album)
- Tyrannosaurus Hives (2004)
- The Black and White Album (2008)
- Lex Hives (2012)
provides examples of:
- Altum Videtur: The second, third and fifth studio albums, Veni Vidi Vicious, Tyrannosaurus Hives and Lex Hives.
- Audience Participation: Pelle's banter and interaction with the crowd between the songs are almost legendary. After all, "the show doesn't stop just because the song stops." Also, when they played at the Enmore Theatre in Sydney (July 2011) one guy from the audiance got to play bass for "Hate to say I told you so", while the basist Dr. Matt Destruction crowd surfed.
- Awesome McCoolname: Their Stage Names, Howlin' Pelle Almqvist, Nicholaus Arson, Vigilante Carlstroem, Dr. Matt Destruction and Chris Dangerous.
- Band of Relatives: Pelle Almqvist and "Nicholaus Arson" (Niklas Almqvist) are brothers.
- Dramatic Pause: During live performances of Tick Tick Boom they suddenly freeze like statues for several seconds while the audience goes nuts around them. (Here for almost a minute starting at around 2.30) It's impressive.
- Even the Guys Want Them and gay women too, in their mariachi outfits, at least according to Pelle.We’re wearing what could possibly be the cutest outfits known to man. Turning a lot of straight men gay, and a lot of gay women straight!"
- Excited Title! Two-Part Episode Name!: Not an episode, but their first EP was titled Oh Lord! When? How?.
- Garage Rock: Credited by the music press as one of the main bands of the "Garage Rock Revival" of the early 2000's.
- Highly Visible Ninja: Ninja-roadie, on stage! Tambourine ninja!
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Ninja: The stage crew has been wearing ninja outfits since 2011, (the same time as the band swithed to tuxedos). A ninja changing a microphone◊, ninja with guitar◊, ninja◊, ninja◊.
- I'll Kill You!:Pelle: Clap and scream while I drink some water or I'll kill you.
- Invented Individual: Randy Fitzsimmons, the band claims he founded the band in 1993, and is the songwriter, manager, and a honorary "sixth Hive". Randy Fitzsimmons is a pseudonym registred at STIM and the royalties for it goes to the guitarist Nicholaus Arson. The band claims that Randy Fitzsimmons is a pseudonym for someone else and that he did a cameo in the "Main Offender" music video (backside only). 3ammagazine did a email interview with Fitzsimmons in 2008.
- Keet \ Large Ham: Howlin' Pelle Almqvist. He just doesn't stop.
- Limited Lyrics Song: "Come on!".Come on![x8]
Come on! (come on!)[x8]
Come on...Everybody come on!
Come on! (come on!)[x8]
Come on...Everybody come on!
- Long Runner Lineup: Type 1. The same five members since the band formed (under a different name) in 1989, and of course Fitzsimmons.
- Long Title: "Some People Know All Too Well How Bad Liquorice, or Any Candy for That Matter, Can Taste When Having Laid Out in the Sun Too Long - And I Think I Just Ate Too Much" on the "Oh Lord! When? How?" ep.
- "Two Timing Touch and Broken Bones", which even has a Title Only Chorus.
- Metal Scream: Sometimes opening the song ("Walk Idiot Walk")\lyrics(the Big Yeah on "Tick Tick Boom") or even in the last chorus ("Hate To Say I Told You So"). He's not Howlin' Pelle for anything.
- Miniscule Rocking: For instance, only a third of Tyrannosaurus Hives reaches\surpasses the three minute mark.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Most songs are 6, some are up to 7 and very few would be less than 5.
- Refuge in Audacity: The stock in trade of Howlin Pelle's stage banter. Examples include:Pelle:"The thing is we're gonna have to revise something about the way that we usually play this song. The way that we usually play this song involves the total destruction of the venue at the end of the song. Now we will not be able to do that tonight because we have to perform a concert here tomorrow night. So if you want the full version, you're gonna have to come back tomorrow."
- Too Soon: Once it backfired, as shortly after the Boston Marathon bombing he dedicated "a song about an explosion" to the victims. Pelle apologized saying he didn't think enough before saying.
- Scary Musician, Harmless Music: Inverted. Their matching black and white outfits are often quite formal attire and they mostly look pretty "clean cut", but their music is almost exclusively raw and loud Garage Rock. Here's one such perfomance
- School Uniforms Are the New Black: They are always wearing black and white but during the "The Black and White Album/Tour" period they wore school uniforms in stage with black blazers with "H" crests and striped black and white ties.
- Sixth Ranger: Randy Fitzsimmons - or not (See above)
- Spelling Song: "A.k.a.i-d-i-o-t" and "T.H.E.H.I.V.E.S."a.k.a i-d-i-o-t, don't know who the hell I'm supposed to be, i-d-i-o-t (a.k.a i-d-i-o-t).
a.k.a i-d-i-o-t, yeah thats me, i-d-i-o-t (a.k.a i-d-i-o-t).We rule the world, this is our world [x2]
- Stage Names: All five members except Pelle Almqvist, who just added "Howlin'" before his real name. All invoke Names to Run Away From Really Fast and are awesome: Nicholaus Arson (Niklas Almqvist), Vigilante Carlstroem (Mikael Karlsson Åström), Dr. Matt Destruction (Mattias Bernwall), and Chris Dangerous (Christian Grahn).
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: They are mostly known for their bombastic high-speed garage rock, but their album Veni Vedi Vicious throws in "Find Another Girl", a pretty faithful cover of a 60's R&B ballad by Jerry Butler. It sticks out quite a bit in the middle of the album.