Helmet is an extremely influential Noise Rock
band from New York City formed in 1989. They consisted of Page Hamilton
on lead guitar and vocals, Henry Bogdan on bass, Peter Mengede on Rhythm Guitar and John Stanier on drums. They broke up in 1998 but have reformed in 2004 and released two albums Monochrome
in 2006 and Seeing Eye Dog
- Alternative Metal
- Breakup Breakout: John's second band was far more successful than Helmet.
- Cover Version: Black Sabbath's "Symptom Of The Universe", Killing Joke's "Primitive", Led Zeppelin's "Custard Pie" (with guest vocals by David Yow). Perhaps a bit more surprising are versions of The Beatles "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "Beautiful Love", a jazz standard originated by the Wayne King Orchestra.
- I Am the Band: Page Hamilton wrote all the songs back when they started, and now he's the only original member left.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Anywhere from 6 (Milquetoast) to 9 (Repetition)
- Noise Rock: Much more heavy though.
- Post-Hardcore: Particularly their early material.
- Rap Rock / Rap Metal: "Just Another Victim", their collaboration with House Of Pain. In live performances, they tended to slightly Rearrange the Song by skipping the extended rap section entirely.
- Ur Example/Unbuilt Trope: For Nu Metal, while their use of drop d tuning has influenced acts such as Deftones, Limp Bizkit, and Korn, they have denied it and said that the true Ur Example is Faith No More. Also Ur Example of Post Metal with songs such as Sinatra and Milquetoast which featured repetitive, atmospheric sections building up to massive climaxes