It's the big concert that everyone's been waiting for! The music swells and the crowd rises with it, and suddenly you're up off your feet, being passed along like so many beach balls. You've done it. You've achieved the number one goal of any concert goer: the crowd surf.
Crowd surfing has two major variants:
- The Sport Hero, where all the members of the team lift you up and carry you out on their shoulders.
- The Rockstar, the musical equivalent, where you are passed along either toward or away from the stage.
Anime & Manga
Live Action TV
- In Kuroko no Basuke, Kagami tosses Fukuda on top of the lunch crowd and tries to use him as a surfboard in an attempt to buy Iberian pork cutlet sandwiches.
- Daenerys does this with the slaves she has just freed in Game of Thrones Season 3 finale "Mhysa".
- An attempt is made at this in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but the man, Willow's doctor no less, fails and lands on the floor after jumping off the stage at The Bronze.
- In an episode of "Hannah Montana" Miley tried to convince a guy she liked (who had no idea she was really a pop star he hated) by crowd surfing at one of her concerts. This causes the guy to leave the concert.
- Peter Gabriel used to regularly do this as part of his concerts. Can be seen in his 1987 concert video, Live in Athens (aka, POV).
- The teacher (played by Mark Metcalf) winds up doing it the video for Twisted Sister's 'I Wanna Rock'.
- Iggy Pop is arguably the Trope Maker, having done this since the late 60s.
- In late-1990's ECW, Spike Dudley got thrown from the ring into the crowd. The audience caught him and crowd-surfed him back towards the ring.
- Happens to many head coaches when they win their sport's respective championship. Notably, Bill Belichick was carried off at the end of Super Bowl XXV, but he was not the head coach. Rather, he was the defensive coordinator.
- In an episode of The Simpsons Homer takes Bart & Lisa to Hullabalooza and goes crowd surfing. The crowd passes him back until he's deposited at the rear of the audience.