It's the big concert that everyone's been waiting for! The music swells and the crowd rises with it, and suddenly you're up off your feet, being passed along like so many beach balls. You've done it. You've achieved the number one goal of any concert goer: the crowd surf.
Crowd surfing has three major variants:
- The Sport Hero, where all the members of the team lift you up and carry you out on their shoulders.
- The Rockstar, the musical equivalent, where you are passed along either toward or away from the stage.
- The Trust Fall, in which it's expected that Alice will jump from a height and everyone will catch her.
The trope has subversions built into it as well:
- Alice attempts to crowd surf, but she somehow misses the crowd and bellyflops on the ground
- Bob attempts to surf but the crowd cannot support him (cue grunting and straining)
- Carol gives it a shot and the crowd intentionally moves away causing her to crash (bonus points if it's onto someone small who couldn't get out of the way)
- Dan gives it a go, but winds up leaping into an Angry Mob who begin to beat the ever loving out of him.
Anime & Manga
- In Kuroko no Basuke, Kagami tosses Fukuda on top of the lunch crowd and tries to use him as a surfboard in an attempt to buy Iberian pork cutlet sandwiches.
Live Action TV
- How Rat Race ends. Variety II.
- Mean Girls has this near it's climax as a trust exercise, with subversions thrown in.
- An attempt is made at this in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer but the man, Willow's doctor no less, fails and lands on the floor after jumping off the stage at The Bronze.
- Daenerys does this with the slaves she has just freed in Game of Thrones Season 3 finale "Mhysa".
- This happens to Rob and James on Glue at a rave in the woods, much to the former's discomfort and the latter's glee.
- In an episode of Hannah Montana Miley tried to convince a guy she liked (who had no idea she was really a pop star he hated) by crowd surfing at one of her concerts. This causes the guy to leave the concert.
- Peter Gabriel used to regularly do this as part of his concerts. Can be seen in his 1987 concert video, Live in Athens (aka, POV).
- The teacher (played by Mark Metcalf) winds up doing it the video for Twisted Sister's 'I Wanna Rock'.
- Iggy Pop is arguably the Trope Maker, having done this since the late 60s.
- In late-1990's ECW, Spike Dudley got thrown from the ring into the crowd. The audience caught him and crowd-surfed him back towards the ring.
- Happens to many head coaches when they win their sport's respective championship. Notably, Bill Belichick was carried off at the end of Super Bowl XXV, but he was not the head coach. Rather, he was the defensive coordinator.
- During the episode of Gravity Falls Dipper, Mabel, and The Love God are passed over the crowd, Mabel enjoys it, Dipper freaks out that people are touching him, and the love god is more focused on trying to catch up.
- In an episode of The Simpsons Homer takes Bart & Lisa to Hullabalooza and goes crowd surfing. The crowd passes him back until he's deposited at the rear of the audience.
- Occurs at many Concerts naturally
- Sports events may end with this for the MVP
- Funerals feature a variation as pallbearers carry the coffin out.
- May happen in lynchings in which a person is forcefully manhandled in such a fashion.