Film: New York Minute
New York Minute is a 2004 teen comedy film starring Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen in their first theatrical outing since It Takes Two. It also ended up being their last together - though Mary-Kate has acted since. It did very poorly at the box office and was savaged by critics, marking the beginning of the end of the twins' stardom.The plot follows the twin Ryan sisters - Jane (Ashley), the smart and responsible one and Roxy (Mary-Kate), the rebellious one. On the day the film takes place, both Roxy and Jane travel into New York. Jane must give an important speech for her college future while Roxy is hoping to sneak backstage at a Simple Plan concert. They end up caught in an elaborate piracy conspiracy as well as being framed for stealing a senator's pet dog. Also on their tail is a truant officer (Eugene Levy) as well as the inevitable love interests.The film was a box office bomb and was panned by critics.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Roxy knows Tae Kwon Do.
- Back Up Twin: Jane isn't there to make her speech while Roxy is there with her notebook. So she tries to do Jane's speech for her (and fails miserably). Luckily Jane shows up anyway.
- This backfires on Jane earlier in the film. Roxy is thrown off the train for not having a ticket. The conductor sees Jane and assumes Roxy has snuck back on board and throws her out too.
- Butt Monkey: Poor Jane.
- The Cameo: Bob Saget as a man whom Jane and Roxy run past on the street. He stops and stares at them, surprised.
- Camp Gay: See The One Guy below.
- Control Freak: Jane.
- Crash-Into Hello: Jane's love interest, Jim, crashes into her with a bike.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Both sisters, but mostly Roxy.
- Daddy's Little Villain: Gender Flipped. Bennie Bang is Mummy's Little Villain.
- Epic Fail: Roxy tries to bluff her way through Jane's speech by quoting Avril Lavigne.
- Hair Flip: Both twins when Trey walks in on them, complete with slow motion and No Doubt's "Hey Baby!" playing over it.
- Makeover Montage: The girls get one in a beauty salon.
- Minion with an F in Evil: Bennie is a nasty guy who makes an honest attempt to be Ma Bang's henchman, but his acts of malevolent are downright pathetic.
- Ms. Fanservice: Ashley Olsen's character actually has three nude scenes in the film. Her opening dream sequence, a shower scene, and her towel falling off after the twins leave a hotel. Her skirt also gets ripped in an earlier scene.
- "Not Wearing Pants" Dream: Jane has a dream where she is giving a speech and her clothes disappear.
- The One Guy: The hairdressers has one male stylist who gets to do the dog's hair.
- Parent Service: Trey first walks in on Roxy in a bathrobe in his hotel room, quickly followed by Jane coming out of the shower in a towel.Trey: Is today my birthday?
- For the reverse, he's also shirtless.
- The President's Daughter: Gender Flipped as it's a female senator and her son.
- Rip Tailoring: Poor Jane. She has to do this to her skirt and then after she breaks a heel, Roxy breaks the other to match them.
- Sassy Black Woman: All the hairdressers who help the twins out.
- Satellite Love Interest: Jane's love interest Jim. In contrast, Roxy's has a little more to do with the plot.
- Team Pet: Ronaldo the chinese crested.
- Uptight Loves Wild: With a sibling relationship rather than a romantic one.
- Walk On The Wild Side Episode: The car chase is one for Jane.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Roxy and Jane give each other big ones after the car chase.