Hizaki (born February 17th, 1979
) is a Japanese Visual Kei
musician, songwriter, record producer, and fashion model
, best known as the lead guitarist for the Symphonic Power Metal
. Before Versailles, he was a member of several independent bands and had a solo career.
Hizaki debuted in 1997 as guitarist of Garnet Grave. After two years, he and bandmate Hizumi left Garnet Grave and formed Crack Brain, which disbanded in 2002. Hizaki later formed the band Grotesque Romantica with fellow Crack Brain member Airi. They changed their name to Schwardix Marvally in 2003 and released two EPs before disbanding in 2004. Hizaki started a solo career that same year, releasing two more EPs before joining Sulfuric Acid until the band's dissolution in 2006.
Hizaki would later form the Hizaki Grace Project with Jasmine You (formerly known as Yuu) on bass, Teru on guitar, Hikaru on vocals, who was later replace by ex-Moi Dix Mois vocalist Juka, and ex-Sulfuric Acid drummer Seiji, who was later replaced by Mikage.
After Hizaki Grace Project's last live performance, Hizaki would later support the supergroup
Node of Scherzo, together with Kamijo, Jasmine You, Asagi
, Juka and Kaya
. At Node of Scherzo's first live performance, it was announced that Hizaki and Kamijo would be forming a new band with the members of Hizaki Grace Project, plus Yuki of Sugar Trip. The band would later be called Versailles
and become massively successful before parting ways with each other in 2012.Following the hiatus and subsequent disbandment of Versailles, Hizaki and the other instrumentalists of the band reunited and formed Jupiter
with Zin as the new vocalist.
Bands associated with Hizaki:
- Garnet Grave (joined as guitarist in 1997)
- Crack Brain (disbanded 2002)
- Grotesque Romantica/Schwardix Marvally (2002-2004)
- Sulfuric Acid (2004-2006)
- Hizaki Grace Project (2004-2007)
- Node of Scherzo (2007-2008)
- Versailles (2007-2012)
- Jupiter (2013-present)
- Maiden†Ritual (EP, 2004)
- Dance with Grace (EP, 2005)
- Dignity of Crest (2007)
- Curse of Virgo (EP, 2007)
Hizaki provides examples of:
- Ambiguous Gender: Whether he's in costume or out of costume, but most especially when he's not in costume.
- Anime Hair: Since the start of his musical career. His styles have also gotten more extreme over the years.
- Attention Whore: Sometimes, especially in behind-the-scenes footage.
- Badass: Easily one of the best guitarists in Visual Kei.
- Butt Monkey: He is often picked on by his bandmates offstage.
- Character Tics: Hizaki is known for rapidly and repeatedly jerking his head around while doing guitar solos.
- Costume Porn
- Drama Queen: Though not to an extent as more extreme examples such as Kisaki and Yoshiki, he still has his moments.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: One of the best examples, if not the crowning example in modern Visual Kei, he is of the "extremely feminine" variety—easily mistaken for a girl both onstage and offstage, and often crossing over into true androgyne. Visual Kei artists who have achieved the same level of androgyny as he does are extremely rare: the few notable ones include Mana of Malice Mizer, Bou of An Cafe and Shinya of Dir En Grey.
- Even the Guys Want Him: There's a running joke that he's the Mr. Fanservice for the (straight) male fans of the bands he's associated with. This is not entirely inaccurate.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Hizaki is known for having a princess role in all his projects.
- Flower Motif: Roses. Loads and loads of them.
- High Turnover Rate: He's been in and out of the music scene, has gone through many bands and has had a successful if unstable solo career.
- I Am the Band: Hizaki Grace Project is, obviously, Hizaki.
- Impractically Fancy Outfit
- Kansai Regional Accent: Listen to Hizaki speak.
- Lolita Fashion: He is one of the most well-known Lolita models in both the Lolita and Visual Kei subcultures.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: See the page image? That's his real hair.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: Generally a 6 to an 8.
- Nice Shoes: Black platform boots.
- Older Than They Look: Seriously, would you believe that he's a man in his mid-thirties?
- The Red Stapler: ESP guitars (especially his signature Maiden Rose◊); Baby, The Stars Shine Bright dresses; and Elmo.
- Rock Me, Amadeus!: One of his specialties. As a more literal example than most, here's him performing a portion of Beethoven's Symphony No. 40 as part of a guitar solo.
- Scary Musician, Harmless Music: Inverted.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Arguably the best example for the new wave of Visual Kei.
- Vocal Dissonance: It's not that his voice is particularly deep (it's not), but even people who are already aware that he's a man get tripped up when they first hear him speak. He's also surprisingly good at providing background Harsh Vocals when the situation warrants it.
- Zettai Ryouiki