Some days the reaper ain't looking so grim; some days the past is the only mine that has gold.
—"Nobody's Accusing You (Of Having A Good Time)" Hot Hot Heat
Hot Hot Heat are a new-wavy
dance-punk band from Victoria, British Columbia formed in 1999
. They're known for their catchy, frantic songs and witty lyrics. Although not overtly popular in the mainstream, they've had a few chart-climbing singles and maintain a dedicated fanbase. Extremely
hook-laden songs await.
Their current line-up is:
- Steve Bays (vocals and keyboards)
- Paul Hawley (drums)
- Parker Bossley (bass)
- Luke Paquin (guitar)
Former members include:
- Dustin Hawthorne
- Matthew Marnik
- Jimmy Sweet
- Dante DeCaro
- Scenes One Through Thirteen - 2002
- Make Up The Breakdown - 2002
- Elevator - 2005
- Happiness Ltd. - 2007
- Future Breeds - 2010
This band provides examples of:
- Breakup Song: Happiness Ltd. was basically a breakup album.
- Messy Hair: Steve Bays, with all of his unruly ginger curls, certainly counts.
- Sanity Slippage Song: "Oh, Goddamit" qualifies. "Oh, oh goddamit, I think I've lost it. Oh goddammit - I think I've lost you."
- Sesame Street Cred: They popped up for an episode of Yo Gabba Gabba.
- Signature Style: Steve Bays' voice has led to him being described as a "headlong yelper" by Rolling Stone Magazine.
- Silly Love Songs: Love songs? Yeah. But the silly part was averted for most of their career, with their first silly, happy love song coming out in 2010.
- Wanderlust Song: "This Town" is all about leaving town.