Big band singing trio from the late 1930s
through the early 1950s
, although their biggest years were during World War II
. Prolific and a household name for years, they consisted of Patty (blonde
, and the leader
, 1918-2013), LaVerne (redhead
, 1911-1967) and Maxene (brunette
, 1916-1995). They worked with the famous Big Bands of the era, although they resented that they put the emphasis on vocals.
They became one of the most popular female close harmony groups of the first half of the 20th century and released a number of famous Ear Worms
that have been in a number of video games and movies. They inspired many artists after them, and are the Trope Maker
for Blonde, Brunette, Redhead
Also, many mp3 websites fail to differentiate
them and the McGuire Sisters.
Some hit songs:
- Bei Mir Bist Du Schoen (1938), their first major hit song.
- Nice Work If You Can Get It (1938)
- Hold Tight (1939)
- Beer Barrel Polka (1939)
- Beat Me Daddy, Eight To The Bar (1940). Note that the title is a request to a pianist to play an "eight beat to the bar" boogie-woogie rhythm, not a reference to Domestic Abuse.
- Aurora (1941)
- Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (1941)
- Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree (1942)
- Strip Polka (1942)
- Pistol-Packin' Momma (1943)
- Victory Polka (1943)
- They'll Be A Hot Time In The Town Of Berlin (1944)
- Don't Fence Me In (1944)
- Rum and Coca-Cola (1945). This version was scrapped of most of its Protest Song tone.
- Money Is The Root of All Evil (1946)
- Winter Wonderland (1946)
- Civilization (1947) With Danny Kaye; appears in Fallout 3.
- Jingle Bells (1947)
- The Woodpecker Song (1948)
- I Can Dream, Can't I? (1949)
- A Bushel & A Peck (1950)