Ah, kiddie rides. Those things that practically suck the spare change out of your pockets (particularly if you're a parent) and are largely found in or near shopping malls. The things that attract little kids (and Periphery Demographic
crowds like bored or drunken teenagers) like magnets.
Originally introduced as a portable alternative of the carousel (and additional income earner for grocers), these have since crossed into Merchandise-Driven
(and occasionally, Misaimed Marketing
) subtrope territory with the introduction of the licensed kiddie ride. Now kids will be able to rent up to one and a half minutes of their favorite characters' time for a dollar or two.
Subset of The Merch
. May cross paths with Misaimed Marketing
If a TV show targeted at children gets too famous, it's bound to spawn at least one kiddie ride. If it has an Earworm
theme tune, the ride will play it every five minutes to attract attention, and on repeat while in operation.
This index is a list of shows and franchises that have been immortalized by having their characters licensed for being made into a kiddie ride. It does not involve works that feature a kiddie ride in their plots; those belong under another trope.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
Word of warning: The Japanese are very fond of kiddie rides. Expect to see quite a number of them, especially in Misaimed Marketing
- Batman - Tons of it. Perhaps one of the earliest known example of licensed vehicle rides.
- The Incredible Hulk
- Peanuts - Two reasonably well-designed rides, and one that's just da-da. And oh, dozens of unlicensed ripoffs.
- Spider-Man - Since when does he have a helicopter?
- Superman - Yep, he's stopping the train you're in.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The turtle van.
- Garfield - Two models exist- one with Garfield driving a taxi, the other design is a giant Garfield which the rider sits in. Plus one unlicensed rip-off of the latter model, complete with a bow on Garfield's head, if you want to get technical. The rides are made by the same company that put out the Stuart Little, Clifford, Arthur and the da-da design Peanuts ride.
Live Action TV
- Bob the Builder
- Budgie The Little Helicopter
- Classic Disney characters- Perhaps most infamously, this Donald Duck ride which got people wondering what Disney was thinking when they approved the design. It could be Fridge Brilliance (do ducks even have manhoods?) or it could be a successful case of Getting Crap Past the Radar of an unfortunate Cloud Cuckoolander rep that Disney sent to meet with the designers. The world will never know. And we'll leave it at that.
- Also from the maker of said Donald Duck ride: Donald not spicy enough for you? How about getting laid by Marsupilami instead◊?
- Dora the Explorer
- Fireman Sam
- The Flintstones. Yes, really. Milked to the bone in that Dino, as well as Fred and Barney's cars, were made into rides, and the milking is still happening with ride design revamps due to the license changing hands!
- The Koala Brothers - the brothers' plane.
- Little Einsteins
- My Little Pony (Specifically, My Little Pony Tales. Practically inevitable, that one.)
- Muppet Babies
- Peppa Pig
- The Pink Panther - At least three designs were made by Jolly Roger in the 1990s: a police van with the Panther sitting on top, a seesaw, and a train with both the Panther and Clouseau.
- Postman Pat - The infamous post van (which has been redesigned twice overnote ), the helicopter from Postman Pat: SDS, and a strange ride where you get to sit on a sack of mail next to Pat. The signature van design is a pretty common ride all over the UK.
- The Real Ghostbusters - Now you can drive Ecto-1!
- Woody Woodpecker - Two designs were made by Jolly Roger in the 1990s: one with Woody and Chilly Willy in a plane, and another with the two on a fire engine.