is a British-American children's television series, produced by Silvergate Media for Cbeebies and animated by Brown Bag Films. The TV series is based on the children's books written by Vicki Wong and Michael C. Murphy of Meomi Design Inc. In the United States, it airs on Disney Junior
follows an underwater exploring crew made up of stylized anthropomorphic animals, a team of eight adventurers who live in an undersea base, the Octopod, from where they go on undersea adventures with the help of a fleet of aquatic vehicles. The subject matter is reminiscent of a blend of Star Trek
and Jacques Cousteau. Although it is science fiction as regards its technology, the exotic creatures and locations that the crew encounter are real marine animals in their natural habitats.
This cartoon has examples of:
- Adorkable: Shellington
- Big Damn Heroes: In "The Electric Torpedo Rays", Sandy the Leatherback Sea Turtle comes just in time to aid Barnacles in catching up to the falling Octopod.
- Carnivore Confusion: One way to avert the Predators Are Mean subtrope is to emphasize how "tiny" their prey are (e.g., krill). When a cute animal is acknowledged as prey, it is usually saved by the heroes, to the chagrin or annoyance of the predator.
- The Octonauts and The Specific Sea Creature
- Chekhov's Gun: Dashi found a pretty seashell early in "The Hermit Crabs", and when Peso and Tweak needed to find a bigger shell for the hermit crab they helped, Dashi uses the shell she found.
- Edutainment Show
- Everybody Laughs Ending
- Everything's Better with Penguins
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: It's used as a Running Gag, where in some episodes Barnacles explains a plan to Kwazii, Peso, and Shellington, but then he sees Kwazii swimming out of the Gup.
- Giant Squid
- Hard Work Hardly Works: Averted. Every success is somehow related to the high amount of training each team member has in their field.
- Magic A Is Magic A: How can Peso talk while holding his breath under water? The same way all the other animals talk.
- Multinational Team
- Never Say "Die": Death is not mentioned but sometimes alluded to; e.g., "If that shark stops swimming, he won't be able to breathe!" or "You'll be sucked into that whirlpool!" or "Those are terrestrial crabs - they can't swim!"
- Oh Crap: Tweak's ears twist up when something bad happens. (Or when she's scared, mostly the former.)
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: The main cast in its entirety.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: All the way on the Idealism side.
- Took a Level in Badass: The Vegimals in "The Very Vegimal Christmas". Building a new GUP? Check. Saving the Octonauts from danger? Check. Cooking the Christmas dinner? Check. Looking cool while doing so? CHECK!
- The World Is Just Awesome
- Underwater Base
- Villainy-Free Villain/White and Grey Morality: This show features absolutely zero villains. In fact, some creatures who could be considered villains in other shows, such as sharks, can be quite friendly and are hostile only because of their need to sustain themselves, not because of actual malice.