open/close all folders
The OctonautsLed by Captain Barnacles Bear, the Octonauts is a group of eight adventurers dedicated to explore the ocean and protect sea creatures from danger.
- Badass Crew
- Freudian Trio: Demonstrated in the first ten seconds of the opening theme.
- True Companions
- Vague Age: We can assume they're at least young adults.
Captain Barnacles Bear
Captain Barnacles BearThe Leader of the Octonauts. Barnacles is a polar bear who commands every mission the Octonauts perform. Being always the first to help whenever someone is in danger, he is loved by his entire crew, and he loves his crew back.
Voiced by Simon Greenall (speaking) Ross Breen (singing)
- All-Loving Hero
- Badass Adorable
- Beary Friendly: Likely the nicest character on the show next to Peso. And he is so cute!.
- Cute Bruiser
- The Captain
- Genius Bruiser: Barnacles is incredibly strong, but he is by no means stupid.
- Gentle Giant: Not that large, but strong is sweet natured.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: The only character on the show to be fully-clothed.
- Ideal Hero
- The Kirk: To Kwazii's McCoy and Peso's Spock.
- The Leader
- Nice Guy
- The Paragon: The Octonaut. He is the leader for a reason.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is as fun-loving as the other Octonauts.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Blue, to Kwazii's red.
- Super Strength: Strong enough to lift a giant clam.
Kwazii CatBarnacles' first lieutenant. Kwazii is an impulsive cat with a mysterious pirate past. He believes in so many different kinds of sea monsters and legendary beasts that he's also considered the crew's cryptozoologist instead of just a lieutenant.
Voiced by Rob Rackstraw
- Badass Adorable
- Berserk Button: When Kwazii's around, you treat Captain Barnacles with respect. And it does not matter even if you don't know who he is.
- Captain Crash: It's not that Kwazii can't bring a craft in safely, but safety is one of the first things he overlooks when he gets overly excited. Tweak lampshades this when repairing the GUP-B at one point.
- Catch Phrase: "Shiver me whiskers!"
- Cute Kitten: Not an actual kitten, but this counts.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Hot-Blooded: Any time the prospect of action comes up, Kwazii at the bare minimum eagerly volunteers.
- Identical Grandson: Kwazii is virtually identical to his grandfather, Calico Jack. The difference is in their outfits - Calico Jack dresses like a stereotypical Pirate, while Kwazii has the collar and boots of an Octonaut, with the only pirate affectation being an eyepatch. Also, the two wear their eyepatches on different sides.
- The Lancer
- Leeroy Jenkins: In spades. One Running Gag is that Barnacles will tell the assembled team what they need to do, and when he turns to Kwazii, he finds that Kwazii has already jumped into the water and is swimming towards the objective.
- The McCoy: To Barnacles' Kirk and Peso's Spock
- Nice Guy: Kwazii is rather short tempered, impatient and rebellious, but also one of the most easiest Octonauts to become friends with
- Nightmare Fetishist: On the "fascination with creepy things" end of the scale.
- Number Two
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Kwazii is always claiming a random animal as a sea monster, and he's wrong every time.
- Pirate: He is very proud of being a pirate. However, this is also overlaps with The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Very, very red to Barnacle's blue.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Peso's Sensitive Guy.
- Fiery Redhead: His fur is more orange than red, but boy, is he fiery!
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He is afraid of spiders. Spider crabs are an exception, though.
Peso PenguinThe medical officer of the Octonauts. He is a nice penguin who likes helping people. Peso is a bit shy and can be scared easily, but whenever someone needs help, he is the first to go into action.
Voiced by Paul Panting (UK version) Wayne Grayson (US version)
- All-Loving Hero
- Badass Pacifist
- Catch Phrase: "Flappity flippers!"
- Cowardly Lion
- Everything's Better with Penguins
- The Medic
- The Heart: He always goes out of his way to help sick animals, no matter how scary they are.
- Gratuitous Spanish: US version only.
- Nice Guy
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Sensitive Guy to Kwazii's Manly Man.
- Lovable Coward: But he can be brave when he has to be.
- The Spock: To Barnacles' Kirk and Kwazii's McCoy.
- Funny Foreigner: The US version has him with a heavy Spanish accent.
Professor Inkling OctopusProfessor Inkling, a Dumbo Octopus, is the founder and mentor of the Octonauts. He rarely goes on missions, but his knowledge of marine biology is an asset.
Voiced by Keith Wickham
Dr. Shellington Sea Otter
Dr. Shellington Sea OtterThe team's marine biologist. Shellington is always there whenever the Octonauts need information about any creature they might encounter in their adventures.
Voiced by Keith Wickham
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!; He can get easily distracted by some tings he's interested in.
- As You Know
- Catch Phrase: "Jumpin' jellyfish!"
- Ditzy Genius: Intelligent, but he can't drive a GUP and gets easily distracted by animals he finds interesting.
- Drives Like Crazy: Cannot drive a GUP very well.
- Instructional Dialogue
- Dr. Exposition
- Repeating so the Audience Can Hear Tunip's Simlish.
- The Smart Guy: When the Octonauts need information for any kind of creature, he is the go-to guy.
- The Klutz: That's why he is rarely seen driving a GUP.
- Translator Buddy: To Tunip and the other vegimals.
- Voice with an Internet Connection
Tweak BunnyTweak is the team's engineer, dedicated to work on special devices to help the Octonauts in their missions or maintain the Octonauts. She is very fond of eating carrots.
Voiced by Jo Wyatt, Jaimie Kelton (US version, season 1 only)
Dashi DaschundThe Octonauts' information officer. Dashi is entrusted with maintaining and controlling the Octopod's computers. She also provides information to the Octonauts in the field. Dashi is a very good photographer and has a collection of cameras and pictures.
Voiced by Teresa Gallagher (UK version) Mary Murphy (US version)
- American Accents: The US version has her the only one without any distinctive accent.
- Communications Officer
- Damsel out of Distress:
- While waiting to be rescued from a whale shark's stomach, passes the time by taking interesting photos. No distress here.
- Calls for help... lifting a large creature back into the river where it belongs.
- Intrepid Reporter: Just watch her report the Iron Clam Competition.
- Nice Girl
Tunip the Vegimal
Tunip the VegimalTunip is half-vegetable, half-animal creature that serves as the Octopod's cook and gardener. He and his fellow Vegimals are usually seen working to prepare meals for the Octonauts.
Voiced by Michael C. Murphy
- Badass Adorable: He used to be just The Cutie, but became a Bad Ass in "The Very Vegimal Christmas".
- Catch Phrase: "Cheeba Cheeba!" when excited.
- Cheerful Child
- The Cutie
- The Ditz
- Daddy's Boy: Shellington loves all his fellow Vegimals, but is particularly close to Tunip.
- Fainting: You know that something bad happens whenever Tunip faints.
- Genius Ditz: Him and most of the other vegimals are kinda ditzy at times, but they are excellent chefs,. Plus in "The Very Vegimal Christmas" he and the Vegimals invented a new GUP.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: Shellington understands him.
- Iron Butt Monkey
- Kid-Appeal Character
- Speaking Simlish
- Supreme Chef
- Took a Level in Badass: In "The Very Vegimal Christmas", Tunip and the Vegimals build a new GUP and use it to save the Octonauts from danger.
- The Unintelligible: To anyone who isn't Shellington.