open/close all folders
The OctonautsLed by Captain Barnacles Bear, the Octonauts is a group of eight adventurers dedicated to explore the ocean and protect sea creatures from danger.
- Badass Crew: A group of animals who save animals from danger.
- Freudian Trio: Demonstrated in the first ten seconds of the opening theme.
- Vague Age: We can assume they're at least young adults.
Captain Barnacles Bear
Captain Barnacles BearThe Leader of the Octonauts. Barnacles is a polar bear who commands every mission the Octonauts perform. Being always the first to help whenever someone is in danger, he is loved by his entire crew, and he loves his crew back.
Voiced by Simon Greenall (speaking) Ross Breen (singing)
- The Captain
- Genius Bruiser: Barnacles is incredibly strong, but he is by no means stupid.
- Gentle Giant: Not that large, but strong is sweet natured.
- Fully Dressed Cartoon Animal: The only character on the show to be fully-clothed.
- The Paragon: The Octonaut. He is the leader for a reason.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: He is as fun-loving as the other Octonauts.
- Super Strength: Strong enough to lift a giant clam.
Barnacles' first lieutenant. Kwazii is an impulsive cat with a mysterious pirate past. He believes in so many different kinds of sea monsters and legendary beasts that he's also considered the crew's cryptozoologist instead of just a lieutenant.
Voiced by Rob Rackstraw
- Berserk Button: When Kwazii's around, you treat Captain Barnacles with respect. And it does not matter even if you don't know who he is.
- Captain Crash: It's not that Kwazii can't bring a craft in safely, but safety is one of the first things he overlooks when he gets overly excited. Tweak lampshades this when repairing the GUP-B at one point.
- Catch-Phrase: "Shiver me whiskers!"
- Cute Kitten: Not an actual kitten, but this counts.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal
- Hot-Blooded: Any time the prospect of action comes up, Kwazii at the bare minimum eagerly volunteers.
- Identical Grandson: Kwazii is virtually identical to his grandfather, Calico Jack. The difference is in their outfits - Calico Jack dresses like a stereotypical Pirate, while Kwazii has the collar and boots of an Octonaut, with the only pirate affectation being an eyepatch. Also, the two wear their eyepatches on different sides.
- Leeroy Jenkins: In spades. One Running Gag is that Barnacles will tell the assembled team what they need to do, and when he turns to Kwazii, he finds that Kwazii has already jumped into the water and is swimming towards the objective.
- The McCoy: To Barnacles' Kirk and Peso's Spock
- Nice Guy: Kwazii is rather short tempered, impatient and rebellious, but also one of the most easiest Octonauts to become friends with
- Nightmare Fetishist: On the "fascination with creepy things" end of the scale.
- Number Two
- Know-Nothing Know-It-All: Kwazii is always claiming a random animal as a sea monster, and he's wrong every time.
- Pirate: He is very proud of being a pirate. However, this is also overlaps with The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Very, very red to Barnacle's blue.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: The Manly Man to Peso's Sensitive Guy.
- True Companions: Barnicles is his best friend as proven by the fact that they work together the most and their various fist bumps.
- Fiery Redhead: His fur is more orange than red, but boy, is he fiery!
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He is afraid of spiders. Spider crabs are an exception, though.
Peso PenguinThe medical officer of the Octonauts. He is a nice penguin who likes helping people. Peso is a bit shy and can be scared easily, but whenever someone needs help, he is the first to go into action.
Voiced by Paul Panting (UK version) Wayne Grayson (US version)
- Catch-Phrase: "Flappity flippers!"
- The Heart: He always goes out of his way to help sick animals, no matter how scary they are.
Professor Inkling OctopusProfessor Inkling, a Dumbo Octopus, is the founder and mentor of the Octonauts. He rarely goes on missions, but his knowledge of marine biology is an asset.
Voiced by Keith Wickham
- Bookworm: He practically lives in the Octopod's library.
Dr. Shellington Sea Otter
Dr. Shellington Sea OtterThe team's marine biologist. Shellington is always there whenever the Octonauts need information about any creature they might encounter in their adventures.
Voiced by Keith Wickham
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!; He can get easily distracted by some tings he's interested in.
- Catch-Phrase: "Jumpin' jellyfish!"
- Ditzy Genius: Intelligent, but he can't drive a GUP and gets easily distracted by animals he finds interesting.
- Drives Like Crazy: Cannot drive a GUP very well.
Tweak BunnyTweak is the team's engineer, dedicated to work on special devices to help the Octonauts in their missions or maintain the Octonauts. She is very fond of eating carrots.
Voiced by Jo Wyatt, Jaimie Kelton (US version, season 1 only)
- Catch-Phrase "Faster than you can say 'Buncha munchy crunchy carrots!'"
- Punny Name: Her name is Tweak, and she's a mechanic. Let that sink in.
Dashi DaschundThe Octonauts' information officer. Dashi is entrusted with maintaining and controlling the Octopod's computers. She also provides information to the Octonauts in the field. Dashi is a very good photographer and has a collection of cameras and pictures.
Voiced by Teresa Gallagher (UK version) Mary Murphy (US version)
Tunip the Vegimal
Tunip the VegimalTunip is half-vegetable, half-animal creature that serves as the Octopod's cook and gardener. He and his fellow Vegimals are usually seen working to prepare meals for the Octonauts.
Voiced by Michael C. Murphy
- Badass Adorable: He used to be just The Cutie, but became a badass in "The Very Vegimal Christmas".
- Catch-Phrase: "Cheeba Cheeba!" when excited.
- Daddy's Boy: Shellington loves all his fellow Vegimals, but is particularly close to Tunip.
- Fainting: You know that something bad happens whenever Tunip faints.
- Genius Ditz: Him and most of the other vegimals are kinda ditzy at times, but they are excellent chefs,. Plus in "The Very Vegimal Christmas" he and the Vegimals invented a new GUP.
- Intelligible Unintelligible: Shellington understands him.