- Bratty Half-Pint
- Tag Along Kid
- Redheaded Stepchild
- Class Clown
- Butt-Monkey or Chew Toy
- Unlucky Everydude or older boys
- Redheads Are Uncool
- The All-American Boy
- Tomboy (since she's active outdoors)
- One of the Boys
- Girl Next Door
- Girlish Pigtails (to emphasize the innocence)
- Plucky Girl
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- From Anpanman, Yakisobapanman's younger sister, Yakisobakasu. Her name's actually a pun on yakisoba (like her brother, her head is made out of yakisobapan, a bun filled with yakisoba, so the noodles act as their hair), and of sobakasu, which means "freckle".
- Several characters in Attack on Titan have them.
- Marco Bott is the Brown haired, adorkable variant.
- Ymir has the Black-haired variant, which works since she has Titan powers and is from a completely different culture/group than the rest of the cast.
- Hannah is the standard red-haired variety.
- Ilse Lagner had them, which is significant since she was an Identical Stranger to Ymir. It confuses a Titan she encounters, and allows her to leave vital information behind in her Apocalyptic Log.
- Max from Beyblade.
- Outside of Decode, Tsutomu Senkawa from Birdy the Mighty.
- Candy from Candy Candy. Tomboy? Check. Girlish Pigtails? Check. Plucky Girl? Check!
- Santi from Kujira No Josephina, is a pre-teen boy who has freckles on his face and the series is his Coming-of-Age Story.
- Though an older teen instead of a child, Laughing Under the Clouds's Takeda has some freckles, is the youngest in the Yamainu and is more inexperienced and hotheaded than the other members.
- Ja'far and Koumei in Magi – Labyrinth of Magic have them. Coincidentally they are Beleaguered Assistant to two of the most powerful men in the world.
- Lolo Endive of Magical Record Lyrical Nanoha Force, a brown-haired Genki Girl with Girlish Pigtails.
- One Piece:
- Ace has these; odd given that he's in his twenties and a great deal less childish than his brother Luffy. His backstory though makes it pretty clear that he fell under the Bratty Half-Pint category.
- His mother also had these, and she clearly fell into Plucky Girl territory.
- Charlotte Linlin, better known as Big Mom, is depicted with freckles when she was a cheerful five-year old.
- A non-canon example: Amanda from the second TV special has freckles.
- Ahiru from Princess Tutu.
- Sasami from Tenchi Muyo! has these, but they tend to appear and disappear depending on the scene/series/incarnation/frame of animation.
- Makoto from Wandering Son has freckles. She dislikes them, thinking they make her look less cute. Her mother also has freckles.
- Rebecca from Yu-Gi-Oh! has freckles, she also has Girlish Pigtails in Season One and Season Five.
Films — Animation
- Young Ellie from Pixar's Up is a Tomboy Girl Next Door.
- Rapunzel from Tangled.
- Princess Mérida from Brave.
- Coraline has freckles and is also a Plucky Girl/Tomboy.
- In an unusually literal example, Odette in The Swan Princess had freckles◊, for just one summer while she was a tomboy. Once she grew into a more elegant, feminine woman the freckles were gone again.
- Princess Anna and Queen Elsa in Frozen.
Films — Live-Action
- Natalya Rudakova in Transporter 3, playing the kidnapped daughter Frank is forced to drive around with him. She certainly proves troublesome until they warm up to each other.
- Elizabeth Swann in Pirates of the Caribbean had lots of freckles as a child (as seen in a flashback in the first film), and none as an adult.
- Lylia of A Brother's Price. She is the youngest one of the five elder princesses, and has a spunky attitude not unlike Pippi Longstocking. Although all her sisters have red hair, she is the only one explicitly mentioned to have freckles.
- All of the Weasley kids in Harry Potter.
- Jack Merridew in Lord of the Flies.
- Julianne Moore's children's book Freckleface Strawberry is about a young girl.
- Pippi Longstocking has Girlish Pigtails and is a Tomboy.
- Anne of Green Gables: Anne is the Plucky Girl type with Girlish Pigtails like Pippi.
- In the Disgaea novels, Captain Gordon, Defender of Earth! and Jennifer's daughter Jane gains these along with Girlish Pigtails in her second appearance, where she is 13.
- Freckles in Gene Stratton-Porter's Freckles.
- Nyumba in Someone Else's War.
- Pepper of Good Omens, the red-headed, short-tempered, only girl member of Them who has "a face which was not so much freckled as one big freckle with occasional areas of skin".
- Tash Arranda of Galaxy of Fear.
- In Victoria Forester's The Girl Who Could Fly, Piper dislikes her freckles.
- In Ruth Frances Long's The Treachery of Beautiful Things, Jenny has them. Which marks her out from the Sidhe, whose beauty is perfectly pale skin.
- In Överenskommelser by Simona Ahrnstedt, Beatrice Löwenström has red hair and freckles. Not to mention that's she's a Tomboy and a Plucky Girl.
- In Samhain Island Skyler Hornbostel, despite being a Krampus, has white freckles against his grey skin.
- In Blood Promise, Tamara, a Strigoi hunter in Novosibirsk had them. She was only slightly older than Rose, probably 19-years old. Acted as One of the Boys with her fellow umpromised dhampirs.
- In Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note, Kozuka sports those. He's the local Adorkable character.
- Deconstructed lightly in the Stephen King novel Insomnia. Due to the strange abilities the protagonists are gaining, one is briefly able to see inside the head of a woman in her thirties who covers her freckles with makeup and dislikes them because she feels like nobody takes her seriously or treats her like an adult because of them.
- Punky Brewster is a Tomboy with brown hair and Girlish Pigtails.
- Alo from Skins series 5 is a boy type #1.
- Harriet on Small Wonder.
- Maeby Funke in Arrested Development, definitely very adventurous/rebellious and something of a tomboy.
- Dean Winchester in Supernatural possesses freckles, which become less obvious after the first couple of seasons. In the episode "All Hell Breaks Loose, Part One" (S02, Ep21), the Acheri demon, who poses as a child, also has freckles.
- Bellamy Blake in The 100 has freckles, despite being the oldest of the 100 sent to Earth.
- Inverted with Nikki Roxx, who was very pale in her youth and referred to as "La Gringa" while wrestling for LLF in Monterrey. She got more freckles as she aged, likely due to Arena Femenil being an outdoor venue. The Hollywood Homely aspect was used in TNA when she dyed her hair brown and became a target of The Beautiful People, though given she was the baby face in the feud it might have also been a subversion.
- The Friendly Freckles Blythe doll.
- Barbie's friend Midge has red hair and freckles.
- Mass Effect
- Roxie from Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, which may be a first for the franchise.
- Saints Row: One of the protagonists in Saints Row: The Third can be given freckles in the gamer customization. In Saints Row IV this can occur as well.
- In "Smackdown Vs Raw 2007" the template 1 male character has freckles on his face.
- In Fire Emblem Fates, Scarlet and Mozu are young women with freckled faces.
- Gemini Sunrise in Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love, who's also a redheaded Plucky Girl.
- Yuuko Shirakawa of Katawa Shoujo, a college student who works part-time as a librarian and waitress and isn't much older than Hisao or his classmates, has them. The same applies for one nameless girl in Lilly's route who is said to be an underclassman, the only student not in third year apart from the April Fool's Day character Rika.
- In Dangan Ronpa, Junko Enoshima has a light dusting of freckles over her nose, which she tells Naegi is one of the things that gets airbrushed out of her glamour shots. It's a plot point, actually: the girl who presents herself as Junko and has freckles is not Junko, but her twin sister and decoy Mukuro Ikusaba. The real Junko, the Big Bad behind the evil Monokuma, has no freckles.
- Toothy from Happy Tree Friends, with a Butt-Monkey trait to match.
- RWBY has Oscar, a young Farm Boy who has freckles dusting his face. This is used to show how young he is, but still having to take on the burden of being the show's former Big Good's Legacy Character, even though he is yet to be clarified about what he is facing and why is he facing it.
- Tamaura of Blindsprings. More a Girly Girl, with an impressively long mass of red hair.
- Eerie Cuties: Chloe the succubus.
- Gifts of Wandering Ice: Elie the ice gift girl.
- Marcy from PvP.
- Ava von Hall from Superego. In this case, she's more of an Manchild.
- Alexander Hamilton from The Dreamer.
- Mac in Impure Blood
- Rachel from Tower of God as a Tomboy Next Door. She is definitely not innocent as we discover.
- Rae from Always Human possess glowing gold freckles due to one of the nanotech "mods" available in the setting.
- Stand Still, Stay Silent: Reynir, who might as well be The Baby of the Bunch. Sigrun even nicknames him "Freckles".
- The titular character of Spongebob Squarepants has three cute little freckles on each cheek. He's implied to be about 27 years old, but he has a naive, child-like demeanor with babyish eyelashes and dorky freckles to go with it.
- Kim Possible has several:
- The Fairly OddParents: Arthur Lebowitz, who also wears glasses and has buck teeth.
- Chuckie from Rugrats: Chew Toy and adorkable redhead.
- Henry from KaBlam!: Chew Toy/Butt-Monkey.
- Sheila and Bobby from Dungeons & Dragons.
- They're barely noticeable, but Libby from The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron has some in her season 2 redesign.
- Eugene and Lila from Hey Arnold!.
- My Little Pony
- Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Applejack and Bowtie from My Little Pony's pilot special.
- Evangelyne and her sister Cleophelia, from Wakfu.
- Michelangelo was given freckles in the 2012 TMNT series.
- Velma on Scooby-Doo.
- Interestingly enough, she DOESN'T have them in the Pup show - even though in this one, she and the rest of the gang were early teens at best.
- Elsa Frankenteen from Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School.
- Penny Tompkins from The Critic.
- Captain Crandall from Teamo Supremo.
- Both 11-year old and 16- year old Gwen Tennyson on Ben 10: Omniverse.
- Tilda from Farhat
- Tupu, the Fiery Redhead Feral Child from Tupu. Some other kids as well.
- Chuck from Motorcity.
- Ilana in Sym-Bionic Titan.
- Danny Phantom: Danny had these when he was eight years old (shown in "Maternal Instincts").
- On Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, Prince Wednesday's cousin, Chrissie, has these.
- Wendy from Gravity Falls
- Lincoln, Luna, Lynn, and Ronnie Ann from The Loud House.
- On the PBS Curious George, Allie is a spunky girl with red hair in a ponytail and freckles.
- On Ready Jet Go!, Sean, Mitchell, Dr. Rafferty, Eggplant, and Zerk all have these.