Advertising: Kevin Butler
"Long live what brought us all to this party in the first place: Play. And I believe in that as much as I believe in my no-look flaming crossbow shot."A series of commercials run by Sony to promote the PS3 and PSP Exclusive games, based around the character of Kevin Butler (played by Jerry Lambert), a Sony VP in charge of everything from First Person Shooter Relations to Add More Awesome. The ads were widely praised for their humorous content as opposed to Sony's previous PS3 Ads.
The ads contain examples of:
- Action Duo: Kevin and the Best Buy guy.
- Badass Mustache: Kevin sports one in his ModNation Racers commercial.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: He appeared as one of the parents of Bad Teacher.
- Lock and Load Montage: Two words for you: Mon Tage.
- No Export for You: If you're not in North America, there's a good chance you don't know who Kevin Butler is.
- One of Us: Kevin Butler appeared at E3 to give a speech about how much he loved gaming and wanted to see it succeed. A carefully scripted appearance? Sure. But it was still awesome.
- Screwed by the Network: Don't expect anymore ads from Kevin Butler; his actor appeared in a commercial for Bridgestone Tires playing Mario Kart Wii. He was never named as Kevin Butler, or even acted like Kevin Butler. It was just his actor doing his job, but for some reason, Sony's suing for INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT, not a non-compete clause.
- Rule of Funny
- Worthy Opponent: "Well played, Mauer"
"Boom to the power of boom"