open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Inverted in Shitsurakuen: Tomoko Oashi has hair which, according to the main character (Sora Himoto), looks like ears.
- Usavich: Putin has his ears tied in a top-knot.
- Rosario + Vampire: Nekonome-sensei's cat ears blend in with her hair, making it look like it's simply another layer of feathered hair.
- Candy from Smile Pretty Cure!, whose ears are styled in several different ways through the course of the show, usually being in rolled-up Girlish Pigtails.
- Inverted in Yu Gi Oh Zexal: Cathy styles her hair to look like cat ears as part of her Cat Girl theme.
- Usagi Yojimbo: The hero, Miyamoto Usagi, most often has his ears pulled into a Samurai Ponytail. When he puts on a hat or a helmet, they disappear completely.
- Lampshaded once when Usagi thinks he heard his son shouting to him from a great distance (he was), and wonders if he's tied his ears too tight.
- Star Wars: Female Gungans often tie their ears back.
- Honey Bunny from the Looney Tunes comics would style her ears.
Films — Animation
- Disney's Dumbo. Before he tries to participate in the pachyderm pyramid trick, Dumbo's ears are tied above his head so he won't stumble on them. Guess what happens while he's running out to the spring board.
- In Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Roger wrings water out of his ears. And yet it hurts him when Eddie picks him up by the ears, because he does not think it's funny.
- Bugs Bunny's Distaff Counterpart from Space Jam, Lola Bunny, ties her ears into a ponytail, as seen in the page pic.
- Lady from Lady and the Tramp often poses with her ears arranged like hair, or flips her ears back like a shampoo commercial, giving the appearance of long flowing locks.
- Sasha from All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 has the same type of ears as Lady-and treats them the same way, even flicking one of them behind her head with a casual paw swipe, with them sometimes dipping in front of her eyes, particularly when she's being sultry.
- Dixie from The Fox And The Hound 2 also has the same kind of ears-seems to be a thing with Disney dog females-and treats them the same way, even wearing a black bow in a way that should be physically impossible.
- Georgette from Oliver & Company uses her ears as hair during "Perfect Isn't Easy", such as pulling a curler down her ear making it look curled.
- Maid Marian from Robin Hood is actually depicted wearing an outfit that includes a hat shaped like her ears.
Films — Live-Action
- Cream the Rabbit from Sonic the Hedgehog has her ears as sort of the equivalent of Girlish Pigtails.
- Klonoa's ears wave like hair when running.
- The Usuls from Neopets appear to have scrunchies holding up their ears, though Hannah from the games "Pirate Caves", "Ice Caves", and "Kreludor Caves" is depicted with human hair on her head.
- Delma Harrence, defender for Faerieland's team in the Altador Cup has a hairband around her ears, and because they flop to the side, they essentially look like a side-ponytail.
- Inverted with Juri from Street Fighter IV, whose hair has been compared to cat ears/ox horns. In one of her concept designs, the two parts of her hair that stick up were less pronounced, and genuinely looked like cat ears were a part of her hair.
- Inverted by Toyosatomimi no Miko of Touhou 13: Ten Desires, a newly-resurrected saint whose hairstyle resembles animal ears (hence the name). Her actual ears are covered by giant earmuffs, further confusing the issue.
- Fay Spaniel from Star Fox 2 has shaggy ears that REALLY look like hair.
- In Fire Emblem Awakening Panne/Velvet has an odd variation on this in that she arranges her braids around her rabbit ears in such a way that they give this impression.
- Furry Experience:
- Ronnie (again, a rabbit) usually has her ears looking like wavy hair, though she braided them at one point. At another, she had to worry about a "bad ear day" and a "bad fur day" at the same time.
- Her roommate, Dawn Doe, wears her ears down, in keeping with her more formal dress style. They only point upwards when she's surprised.
- Big Ears from Goblins usually ties his namesake ears back in combat situations.
- Cupcake from Sugar Bits, has both real hair and this trope as part of her hairstyle.
- 70-Seas: Particularly visible with Nikol, who ties her ears in a ponytail.
- Looney Tunes:
- Dot Warner from Animaniacs wears her ears in a scrunchie.
- Fern is the only female character on Arthur who doesn't have a Furry Female Mane. She's a dog with floppy ears.
- Brandy Harrington from Brandy & Mr. Whiskers.
- The Better Bottoms rabbit from CatDog wears his in a sleazy ponytail style.
- Panini from Chowder.
- Parodied on Family Guy with Peter's line about Brian's appearance at an upcoming dog show: "We haven't even talked about how you're gonna wear your ears. You know, 'cause I was thinking up."
- On Kaeloo, Pretty wears her ears tied up in a bow. Her sister, on the other hand, has a Furry Female Mane.
- Molly Cunningham on TaleSpin wears hair ribbons around her ears.
- Subverted in Team Umizoomi. Milli is a girl, but what appear to be ponytails coming out of her hat are actually tape measures.
- Word of God is that what we think of as the "hair" of Wilykit and Wiykat from Thundercats2011 is actually their ears, which means that Wilykit's ponytail is actually her pinning the hair on the tips of her ears back.
- Usagi Yojimbo (see above under Comics) is also a recurring character on the 2003 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.