Sometimes when you draw animals on any level of anthropomorphism
from Nearly Normal Animal
to Petting Zoo People
, but especially Civilized Animals
, Funny Animals
, Petting Zoo People
, you just give them a humanlike bellybutton, whether "innie" or "outie," that can be seen through their fur, feathers, or scales.
While some cartoon animals have humanlike bellybuttons, Real Life
animals don't have navels like this. Placental mammals beside humans are born with a navel that looks very much like a scar.
Other animals, like monotreme mammals, all birds, most reptiles, amphibians, and fish, most insects, some molluscs, and some arachnids don't have navels, as they are oviparous (were born from eggs). Some squamates (the reptile group that includes lizards, snakes, and amphisbaenians
) like rattlesnakes, sea snakes, slowworms
, and garter snakes, are either viviparous or ovoviviparous (give birth to live young), as are most sharks, live-bearing bony fishes, some species of scorpion, cockroaches, and velvet worms
. They don't have navels as navels are exclusive to placental mammals.
A subtrope of Funny Animal Anatomy
and Anatomy Anomaly
. See also Nonhumans Lack Attributes
. Contrast Belly Buttonless
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Both Wowser and Ratso Catso have bellybuttons.
- Subverted in one strip where the eponymous cat notices a black spot on his belly in the mirror and remarks "I didn't know I had a belly button". Said spot turns out to be a bug, which promptly flies away.
- Though played straight with some animal characters who appeared in some strips of this comic, especially bigger ones.
- Another strip has Garfield eat one of Jon's plants in a fit of jealousy. When Jon complains, Garfield says "If you have anything to say to your precious plant, say it into my bellybutton!"
- Pig from Pearls Before Swine.
- The title character of Pogo.
- Nearly all the characters in Krazy Kat.
- Verne from Over the Hedge has one.
Films — Animation
- Rango the chameleon has a bellybutton.
- Jiminy Cricket is shown to have a bellybutton in Pinocchio.
- In Cinderella, in the scene when Gus is first introduced, Cinderella tries to put a shirt on Gus, but then the shirt rises and pops up. For a SPLIT second, you could spot a bellybutton on Gus while in the air. A little mistaken in the scene where Gus is trapped in the tea cup that Lady Tremaine was about to pour tea into. As Gus sucks in his belly to avoid the boiling tea drop coming down, it seems as though he grew a belly buttton, while it was really just lines indicating his belly is being pulled in. As his belly rises in relief, it still seems to have the shape of a belly button until it fully rises, where the mark disappears.
- Stupid he weasel from Who Framed Roger Rabbit has a bellybutton.
- Crash Bandicoot has a bellybutton in his early games, but it was gone starting with Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.
- This trope is mentioned and subverted in Chrono Trigger. You can try to run from the prison by faking sickness. If Frog is the one faking sickness, he says his bellybutton hurts. After beating guards, he calls them fools for not knowing that frogs don't have bellybuttons.
- Star Fox: Krystal has one, visible in Star Fox Adventures.
- The Donkey Kong series seems inconsistent as to whether or not Kongs have them. In some games, they don't have them even when some reptilian characters do.
- Rouge the Bat from the Sonic the Hedgehog series, although only when she's wearing alternate costumes.
- Mz. Ruby from Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus has a bellybutton despite being an alligator, Murray also has a belly button as well.