In the terminal she sleeps on my shoulder
Hair falling forward, mouth all askew.
A Ship Tease
shot of two characters — the Official Couple
, the official not-a-couple
, or just two of the shippers
— sleeping together. They're fully clothed, probably in a public place in broad daylight, one's head pillowed on the other's shoulder, chest, or possibly lap
. They were just very tired, or sitting through something that was really, really
boring. Perhaps their group was attacked or some magic backfired, and they were knocked unconscious and landed in just the right position.
In any case, it serves two purposes: the perfect screenshot for shippers, and the perfect opportunity for viewers
near and far to simultaneously say, "Awww, they look so cute together
Of course, this doesn't have to be romantic. A pair of siblings, a mother with her son, et cetera can also pull off a sort of Sleep Cute
. Either way, it is a strong source of good, happy feelings
Compare Accidental Kiss
, Beautiful Dreamer
, Comforting Comforter
, Lap Pillow
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Judai and Asuka of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX wake up like this after the group is teleported back to Earth in a first season episode. cough*Ship Tease*cough
- CLANNAD makes use of this trope at the end of Fuko's arc, where Tomoya and Nagisa end up sleeping side by side as you see in the page image. Of course, they're the Official Couple.
- Used in Blue Drop with Hagino and Mari, making this also a case of Schoolgirl Lesbians.
- Happens in Volume 2 of My Heavenly Hockey Club with Hana and Izumi.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!
- Happens with Asuna and Negi on the way back from the school trip. "Cute couple, eh?" one spectator says. "There will be time for that later," another replies.
- Konoka and Setsuna slump into this during the same trip back, as well.
- On another occasion, Negi falls asleep on Konoka's lap, leading to Ayaka jumping to conclusions in hilarious fashion.
- And on another occasion Negi falls asleep in Ayaka's lap, leading her to declare that it is the best school festival ever. The poor guy just needs to stop overworking himself.
- And he falls asleep again in Chachamaru's lap. He is just that cute and overworked folks.
- The anime's credits have the cast sleeping cutely in a non-shipping context.
- Happens with Satoshi/Ash and Kasumi/Misty in early episodes featuring Jigglypuff, which can lull people to sleep by singing.
- Also occasionally happens with Kojiro/James and Musashi/Jessie of Team Rocket.
- Non-romantic example in the Pokémon 4Ever movie, Pikachu and Celebi do this◊. (Awwwwwwwwwww).
- Another Mons example, Pikachu falls asleep on Meowth while he's waxing philosophical. Awwwwww~!
- Played with in the 2nd ending of Angelic Layer, which shows Deuses sleeping with their Angels.
- This happens to Heterosexual Life-Partners Kei and Yuri from Dirty Pair Flash in the beach volleyball episode, when they're exhausted from another day of Training from Hell.
- Mai Hi ME
- Natsuki and Nao during the karaoke party.
- There are two beds in Mikoto and Mai's room, but the two girls are often snuggled up together, including during the closing shot of the end credits. In the second-to-last omake, they both have smiles on their faces when they're sleeping. During the Tamayura festival episode, Mikoto sleep-rolls out of her own bed and finds her way onto Mai's. It's hard to believe Mikoto wasn't doing so intentionally, but still...
- In the manga, of course, this is out of necessity — there are still two beds, but the room is shared with Yuuichi, who naturally gets his own bed. (Although it's implied that they previously slept in the same bed anyway.)
- Miyuki and Natsumi of Youre Under Arrest fall asleep together in their patrol car at the end of OVA episode 2, "Tokyo Typhoon Rally". By the end of the OVA series, they've moved in together — to save on expenses and travel time. Poor "Kenny" Nakajima might die of hemorrhagic shock before his nose quits bleeding. Afterward too, since all the official art is a complete and utter explosion of Les Yay...
- Kou and Aoba in Cross Game, all the sweeter since if Aoba had woken up first, Kou would have been a dead man.
- Noir took this to then-new heights, including several classic There Is Only One Bed scenes, all of which were played completely straight (and quite sweetly).
- Madlax and Vanessa pull it off twice in Madlax, raising the Les Yay to an almost Girls Love level. Madlax/Limelda shippers disagree, though.
- The last episode of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS has Subaru and Teana doing this after the final mission, together with a mother and daughter variation with Nanoha and Vivio.
- Haruhi Suzumiya
- In the novels, Mikuru Asahina and Haruhi are seen sleeping peacefully like that. But it does give a good impression of their friendship, given to that poor Mikuru usually is nothing more than an abuse doll for Haruhi. Kyon also comments on it, and also says that they could "rival each other [in looks] right now". Then he later remarks that that's because her mouth was shut, and she wasn't being her bossy self. To all the Kyon/Haruhi shippers, Kyon's lying to himself. To everybody else, he's still free for her/him/it.
- It also happens in the second season of the anime in the second part of "Endless Eight".
- Nami and Vivi do this◊ in ending six of One Piece.
- Luffy, Zoro, Chopper and Usopp pull this when in the Alabasta desert and cuddling for warmth.
- Happens to Ryoma and his best friend Momoshiro in The Prince of Tennis. And the Yaoi Fangirls rejoiced.
- Happens to Wolfwood and Milly in Trigun. (From Wolfwood to Milly: "You're comfortable.") This makes Meryl and Vash have to sit next to one another as they express annoyance at their companions' behavior.
- Non-shipping example in episode 8 of Utawarerumono, with Aruruu, Yuzuha, and Kamyu sleeping on top of Mukkuru.
- In Twin Spica this happens between Asumi and Marika during the grueling closed-environment test, which might have been the trigger for Marika's defrosting process.
- This happens to Allen and Lenalee in D.Gray-Man. Poor Johnny.
- Happens with Daisuke and Ken, on a train, during the credits of the Digimon Adventure 02 movie, Diaboramon Strike Back. Just watch the shippers go nuts.
- The Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk shows Jil and Kaaya asleep at a train station in the closing shot of the Alternate Reality opening. Also sets up some strange self-referential imagery, what with a poster for itself behind them.
- Aya and Tooya of Ayashi no Ceres fall into this trope as they ride a train back home. Cue the news that Aya is pregnant, and fangirls go "Squeeeeeee!"
- Happens in this◊ Houkago Play 4koma.
- Featured in Hajimete No Aku when Jiro falls asleep on Kyouko, after staying up all night protecting her from mosquitoes.
- Axis Powers Hetalia
- Lithuania, exhausted from being overworked by his boss Russia, unintentionally falls asleep on a couch only to wake up to find himself beside Russia, who for once is in a genuinely good mood and gently asks him about what he's been dreaming of.
- Subverted with Greece and Japan. It looks like Greece is gonna pull his on Japan... but after dozing off a little, he wakes up and acts like nothing happened.
- Done in the Hetalia Bloodbath 2010, where the kidnapped nations are found sleeping in various places. But the cutest has to go to Russia, Prussia and Austria.
- Still in Hetalia Bloodbath 2011, Italy sleeping with his head on Germany's lap. Aww.
- Also in Hetaween 2011, where Wy falls asleep and Australia carries her home on his back.
- In Berserk, this is done not once, but twice in regards to Guts and Jill (the village girl during the Fairy Arc). Once when she first decides to start following him, and finds him asleep. She then curls up and sleeps in his lap. Another when they fell off a cliff while he protected her from demonic spirits, only for him to wake up later and tell her to get off him since she's heavy. Most likely done in order to show her growing crush on him...which would be romantic and perfectly fine, if it weren't for the fact that he's a lot older than her.
- All the girls of the band do this after their last concert, since they still practiced till very late the night before.
- Also, this
- Happens in Ai Yori Aoshi on the train. Only Aoi was asleep, though. They wind up riding past the stop and all the way around again, because Kaoru couldn't wake her.
- The final episode of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai has a very cute scene of Rika and Hanyuu sleeping together. Combined with what they do upon waking up (namely turning the calendar to July 1), this becomes a major Crowning Moment of Heartwarming.
- An episode of Slam Dunk had the main five falling asleep in a heap in the locker room after a particularly tiring game. Yes, the Ho Yay fangirl squees could be heard across the globe.
- The Beach Episode of Yotsuba&! ends with a panel showing the entire group slumped into each other, asleep, on the train back home. There's an extra "The End" panel showing that Koiwai has slid onto the floor...
- In the 2nd ED of Nabari No Ou, Yoite and Miharu. They may not actually be an Official Couple, but... hey, fun with Ho Yay!
- Taken Up to Eleven in a chapter that crossed over between Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and Xxx HO Li C, with adorable mascot Mokonas Soel and Larg.
- In episode 5 of Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru, Yuki wakes up to find Luka sleeping on his shoulder.
- Subverted in the AKIRA manga. Yes, Kaori looks sweet and peaceful when she sleeps with her head on Tetsuo's lap, but then we see that Tetsuo is in extreme pain and his arm is mutating again.
- Happens in the manga and anime of Spiral with hero Ayumu and sidekick Hiyono; the thing is, he's very aloof and she's the stereotypical annoyingly cheery air-head, but they've just saved each other's lives and he hasn't slept much in two days, so he asks to sleep on her shoulder. While calling her annoying. Probably the cutest moment of the entire anime, though the manga topped it when it started fixing romantic entanglements.
- Great Teacher Onizuka features a scene with the entire class piled on top of each other like this.
- In Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, after a long day of breaking through to the surface and fighting beastmen, Yoko finds Kamina and Simon sleeping together, with Kamina protectively wrapping an arm around his his "brother"◊.
- In season 2 of Darker Than Black, Suou and July are repeat offenders of this trope. Toy Ship ensues. Awwwwwwww.◊.
- Walker and Erika of Durarara!! pull this off in the last episode. Despite the fact that they're the resident Torture Technicians of the show, it's adorable as hell.
- Rose of Versailles: The manga features a scene where André is reading the newspaper while seated next to Oscar. Oscar falls asleep on his lap due to sheer exhaustion. André is delighted to say the least. They had not become a couple yet.
- In episode 124 of Ranma ˝, Sentarô and Satsuki meet and it's love at first sight. They stare at each other for so long that Ranma and Akane, waiting for them to actually say something, fall asleep, resting against each other until the next morning.
- Reimei No Arcana: Caesar and Nakaba in Chapter 23.
- In chapter 408 of Bleach we see Michiru and Chizuru sleeping in Karakura Town with Michiru resting her head against Chizuru.
- Dong-ha and Je-Hyung in the first chapter of I'm at End of Your Sight. Dong-ha asks if they can sleep together and, after some persuading, Je-Hyung agrees and has Dong-ha hug him from behind.
- The Idolmaster
- Miki throughout the first quarter of the show
- All the girls (except the ones that are part of the Ryuugu Komachi unit) after the end of their first live.
- In Kyo Kara Maoh Yuuri falls asleep and Wolfram lets him lean on his shoulder◊ and smiles.
- Happens in Seven Days to Yuzuru and Seryou on their date in Volume 1.
- This happens with Sakura Trick's two main characters in the first chapter. Amusingly, it's during the entrance ceremony.
- Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu has a non-romantic example at the end of the Onsen Episode, where Kaname and Tessa sleep side-by-side. It's absolutely adorable.
- Kimi ni Todoke has two examples. Sawako falls asleep against Kazehaya's shoulder in an early episode (although he was still conscious). Later, Chizu and Ryu also fall asleep together.
- In Claudine, the Montesse's new meido Maura arrives to their Big Fancy House in a very cold and rainy night. She's so exhausted after the travel that she falls asleep... on Claudine's shoulder.
- In season 2note of Sword Art Online, Yui is sleeping peacefully on top of the baby dragon Pina, which is curled up on Kirito's chest, as Kirito is sleeping peacefully in his chair. The sweet sight is so peaceful that all the girls studying want to join in.
- The reason why Hideyoshi Kinoshita gets a kiss from Akihisa Yoshii in Bakaand Test Summonthe Beasts. Or in a dream, at least.
- In a non-romantic example, Spider-Man and Spider-Girl get a father-daughter version of this. It's even sweeter in context, having come after an issue where they spent most of their time bickering at each other before reuniting an Ex-Villain and his daughter.
- More literal version in Avengers: The Initiative with Hardball seeing Komodo reverts to human form when she's asleep, and consequently is cute when she sleeps. Though she also doesn't have legs.
- In one fairly recent Superman comic, Supes and Wonder Woman do this after a difficult battle, prompting Lois Lane to observe the two of them and make an aside to the audience that it's a good thing that she's not a jealous woman. (This is used mostly to note Lois' character development, because she was jealous of Supes' and Diana's relationship not that long before this story.)
- In a scene towards the end of Scott Pilgrim Gets It Together, Scott, Stephen, and Joseph are recording a song, while in the background, Kim and Ramona are shown to have fallen asleep (presumably from boredom), with Kim's head on Ramona's shoulder.
- The Question: A platonic version occurs between Vic Sage and Renee Montoya when they fall asleep on a long plane ride and Vic slumps onto Renee's shoulder. It's kind of cute considering how much time they spend bickering and snarking at each other when awake.
- This happens, of all places, in a Sin City story. Miho, the resident Dark Action Girl, falls asleep on the lap of Dwight McCarthy in the story Family Values. This is sandwiched between scenes in which Miho carves up an entire mob family.
- In the last issue of Runaways, Molly and Klara fall asleep with their heads in Karolina's lap.
- Parodied in a 1989 FoxTrot strip (and an obvious non-shipping example, since they're brother and sister). During a long plane trip, Paige falls asleep on Jason's head. Luckily, this quickly stirs the both of them awake and causes them to scream in terror.
- A non-romantic example in the Back to the Future fanfic Ich Liebe Dich: Doc drifts off when they are checking the future photograph, and Marty falls asleep curled up against him.
- This Dragon Ball GT fanart.
- Icecry's Parallel Saga (a Dragon Ball Z fan comic) has Goku, Bulma, and Gohan (who in this alternate universe is the illegitimate son of Goku and Bulma) sleeping in the same bed like one, big, happy family.
- Harry Potter And The Nightmares Of Futures Past: The Gryffindor Six each get one in Chapter 22.
- Destiny's Pawn has it in the Kashyyyk chapter. The entire party is holed up in Jolee's cabin for the night. Bastila notices the sleeping arrangements of Kairi (Revan), Mission, and Carth with dismay.
Bastila struggled for sleep, but found it would not come. Across the fire pit, she saw Kairi sleeping between Mission and Carth. The Twi'lek girl and Kairi were face-to-face, Mission's blue hand clasping Kairi's. Poor girl. Bastila knew she was deeply hurt by the loss of her constant companion, and there was little doubt that being alone and asleep in Taris's Lower City was a gamble at best. As for Carth, he had fallen asleep on his stomach, one arm flung around Kairi's shoulders. With a muffled grumble, he shifted to his side and used one arm as a pillow. He wasn't spooning with Kairi... yet... but his hand sleepily groped around until he found Kairi's and Mission's, and topped their hands with his. As much as he claimed he trusted no one during the day, he could hold no secrets in sleep. He already had bonded to them, perhaps irrecoverably. What else could go wrong with this assignment?
- Mickey Mouse and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit have had this treatment by an Epic Mickey fan. Super adorable.
- Subverted in Total Drama Battlegrounds when Joel and Daisy cuddle together in their sleep. The others tease them in the morning about it, while they say it has nothing to do with romance. Sure enough, they both wind up paired with other people.
- Shinji and Asuka at the end of Evangelion RE-TAKE. It's a very minimalistic example, since their fingers are only barely touching the other's, but for them, it's an extremely meaningful show of affection.
- Marche and Montblanc sleeping together from the Game Boy Advance video game Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.
- In the Hunger Games fanfiction Some Semblance of Meaning, this trope eventually comes into play with Vale and Obsidian. Even before that, it was used in a more platonic, sibling-like example with Vale and her district partner Kit. The open trust that this action displayed was one of the things that kept Obsidian from killing them when he came across them one night in the arena while they were asleep.
- Navarone does this with several ponies in Diaries of a Madman. When he and Rainbow Dash get teased over this due to a Not What It Looks Like situation, he's quick to point this out to them.
- Vinyl and Octavia Get Incredibly Drunk ends with Octavia drunkenly calling for Vinyl to come into her bed and cuddle her, since she doesn't want to sleep alone. Vinyl obliges, of course.
- Nightfall Fancomic: Vriska finds John sleeping on the couch and curls up next to him.
- A non-romantic example in the Star Trek: The Original Series fanfic Retribution : After the two make up, Kirk falls asleep against Spock as he meditates. Spock doesn't mind, until McCoy wanders in and snaps a photo.
- Another non-romantic example in the Star Trek: The Original Series fanfic Memories Born Of Fire. The tired Spock falls asleep on Kirk's shoulder, where he was resting to reassure himself after a Flashback Nightmare.
Films — Animation
- In Legend Of The Guardians The Owls Of Ga Hoole, Gylfie and Digger fall asleep under Soren's wings on a tree branch.
- Dash and Violet do this in The Incredibles. Dash leaps off rather quickly when he wakes up, however, since he's at the Girls Have Cooties age and because Violet's his sister.
- Happens in The Rescuers during Bernard and Bianca's flight.
- In Oliver & Company, Oliver (the eponymous kitten) snuggles up next to Dodger (a dog) who earlier didn't want anything to do with him. Dodger lets him.
- In Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Cloud and Tifa sleep curled up together in a bed of flowers in Aerith's church. Of course, this is because Tifa has been knocked unconscious by Loz and Cloud has terminal geostigma, but it's still sweet to the point of hyperglycemia.
- Zig-zag: In Wreck-It Ralph, Vanellope shows Ralph her hideout within Diet Cola Mountain in the "Sugar Rush" game and how she tucks herself into bed using candy wrappers as her blankets.
Films — Live-Action
- Done many times in Drinking Buddies to show off Luke and Kate's chemistry... with the hitch that they're both dating someone else.
- In the Lizzie McGuire movie, Lizzie and Gordo fall asleep this way on the way to Rome early on. Gordo eventually awoke and realized the situation, but decided he didn't mind, and went back to sleep.
- Early in It Happened One Night, Ellie sleeps on Peter's shoulder during a bus trip. Later, he says to her: "Remember me? I'm the fellow you slept on last night."
- The Spy Who Loved Me: Anya Amasova and James Bond start to do this, but when the Russian agent stops falling asleep she jerks herself back from Bond.
- Bizarrely enough, an example crops up in Se7en. Mills and Somerset have worked themselves ragged and sit down on a bench in the police station. Come the morning, they're asleep.
- Holmes falls asleep against Watson in the Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes movie, after spending the night in a prison yard. Make of that what you will...
- Hot Fuzz does it adorably with Danny Butterman and Nicholas Angel.
- In the film of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:
- Ron and Hermione are sleeping next to each other, with their hands lying so they appear to be reaching out for each other.
- Tonks and Lupin are posed like this as they're lying dead in what's left of the hospital wing.
- Cop 633 and Faye have one of these one fine afternoon at the former's apartment in Chungking Express.
- Happens twice in Leap Year. First when Anna spends the night on a bench with Declan as they wait for the bus (him sitting upright, she with her head in his lap and his coat serving as the Comforting Comforter). When they finally catch said bus, it happens yet again with her head resting on his shoulder.
- Used in This Gun For Hire, gaining plot-relevance when the sleepers are seen and mistakenly linked together by a third character.
- In The Karate Kid (2010), Dre falls asleep and leans sideways onto Mr Han's lap who hesitantly places a hand on his back. His hesitation makes more sense when you realize his deceased son would have been the same age as Dre.
- Katniss and Peeta in the cave, in The Hunger Games.
- The girl Columbus lets hide in his apartment at the beginning of Zombieland asks if she can sleep on his shoulder, having suffered a pretty stressful day. He gleefully obliges and soon goes to sleep too... only to discover when he wakes up that she's zombified.
- Juan and his grown daughter do a version of this at one point in Juan of the Dead.
- This shows up in Dracula of all places, between Jonathan and Mina.
- In The Plucker, the two protagonist dolls (living dolls; some are creepy, some are not; the book is illustrated) are shown at the end asleep leaning on one another.
- Occurs in The Beekeeper's Apprentice, during the She Is Not My Girlfriend stage of Sherlock Holmes's friendship with Mary Russell, and Watson makes this observation when the two fall asleep in a carriage, leaning against each other.
- Ron and Hermione in Deathly Hallows definitely qualify: the first night they spent in Grimmauld Place, they fell asleep holding hands. Harry even remarked how seeing them like this "made him feel strangely lonely".
- Conway Costigan and Clio Marsden in E. E. “Doc” Smith's Triplanetary. They later marry.
- From Book 4 of The Lord of the Rings:
And so Gollum found them hours later, when he returned, crawling and creeping down the path out of the gloom ahead. Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo's head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam's brown hands, and the other lay softly upon his master's breast. Peace was in both their faces.
- Subverted slightly in Nation: Daphne has to sleep next to Mau in a rather cute moment. However, she quickly discovers that having a person asleep on your arm is a good way to get pins and needles.
- Wicked has scene where Glinda and Elphaba sleep together. To quote it:
In a single lumpy bed, they huddled together for warmth and encouragement and, Glinda told herself, protection... Glinda would start as if from a frightful dream, and nestle in nearer to Elphaba, who seemed at night never to sleep.
- There are several particularly cute ones in Moby-Dick of all things, involving Ishmael and Queequeg, one of which is quoted here:
We had lain thus in bed, chatting and napping at short intervals, and Queequeg now and then affectionately throwing his brown tattooed legs over mine, and then drawing them back...
- The fifteenth Dresden Files book Skin Game ends in a scene where Maggie is curled up sleeping on her father. Harry mentions he wouldn't trade it for the world.
- Katniss and Peeta are all over this trope in The Hunger Games. Katniss intentionally invokes it since it's a convenient way for her to make people believe she's in love with him.
- Percy and Annabeth in The Heroes of Olympus. They get up at night to go cuddle in the stables, and end up falling asleep together. Then Frank finds them in the morning. Annabeth ends up getting grounded.
- The Everly Brothers song "Wake Up Little Susie".
- The album art of "Brain Thrust Mastery" from We Are Scientists.
- As evidenced by the page quote, Vienna Teng's Recessional.
- Engelbert Humperdinck's opera Hansel and Gretel has this when the children go to sleep in the woods for the night.
- Mary Mary ends with Bob and Mary making up with each other just before the former dozes off under the influence of several sleeping pills he took by accident.
- Resident Evil
- It is possible to invoke one of these in Persona 4. When Rise (who, along with Yukiko, may or may not be drunk at the time) drags everyone into a party game. Choosing the right option will result in Rise sleeping with her head in the main characters lap.
- At the end of Persona 3, the protagonist falls asleep with his or her head in Aigis's lap (or alternatively, in a New Game+ , that of his or her chosen love interest). Unfortunately, he/she never wakes up, thanks to previously sacrificing his/her life force to prevent the End of the World as We Know It.
- The end of Shadow Hearts with Yuri and Alice. It's cute in the happy ending; they wake up and smile at each other. In the canon ending, he wakes up and realizes she's dead.
- In Yakuza, 9-year-old Haruka falls asleep with her head in Kazuma's lap while riding in the back seat of a car. That in itself is cute enough, but in Yakuza 2, there is a similar scene where Kazuma falls asleep with his head in Haruka's lap.
- The save method in ICO is sleeping cute. Extra points to the programmers for adding a little animation of Ico carefully sitting up with his head turned so as not to hit Yorda with his horns, when they wake up after their game-saving nap. You can even press R1 (the "call Yorda/hold hands" button) to turn Ico's head toward Yorda's while on the couch, who will respond in kind.
- In the Opening cinematic of Kingdom Hearts II, Sora is sleeping on the beach, holding hands with both Riku and Kairi. Serves as ship tease for both straight and yaoi pairings.
- After completing Mass Effect 2, if you romanced any of the characters, there's an option to sleep in together in bed, cuddling and resting. Awww.
- Lynch and his fiancée Xiu at the start of Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days. This serves to make it more poignant when she's killed by Hsing.
- Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core: At the inn in Nibelheim, right before the big event and Sephiroth's big Face-Heel Turn, Cloud and Zack stay up late talking and then fall asleep in adjacent beds. Shippers, start your engines.
- inFAMOUS 2 gives us Cole and Zeke in a total Bromance moment. Cole is about to absorb the penultimate Blast Core, but he and Zeke decide to just relax for once and watch TV and drink beer, ignoring their phones/radios. Fade to several hours later and the two are leaning on each other.
- In one of the side events in Tales of Vesperia, you can catch Ristelle sharing a bed at the inn.
- In one of the earlier stages of "Kirby's Epic Yarn", you get to see two Waddle Dees sleeping against one another. If that wasn't cute enough, there's also a heart made of red beads floating over them.
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, Henry and Lissa's supports involve him trying to help her to sleep, with... special results. In their A support, Lissa finally manages to doze off on Henry's lap without his "help"... and he falls asleep next to her immediately afterwards. And if you give them an additional support, they'll get married.
- Non-romantic example in Pokémon X and Y: You can find two Skiddo sleeping together on the sidewalk of Lumiose City at night. (Awww...)
- In The Stinger of Shovel Knight an injured Shield Knight finds an unconscious Shovel Knight and curls up by his side.
- CLANNAD: In the Visual Novel (unlike the anime example above), Fuuko and Tomoya. And then Tomoya wakes up alone. The nicest bit is when Tomoya's made to remember Fuuko afterward, and finds she's been invisibly following him around since then.
- Katawa Shoujo has Cloudcuckoolander Rin and protagonist Hisao fall asleep next to each other on the day of the festival, at the end of Act 1, if you manage to get her route. This is especially amusing considering she had earlier asked Hisao if he enjoyed watching girls sleep.
- In Lilly's route, Hanako falls asleep on Lilly's shoulder as the two and Hisao take a train tide back to Yamaku from Hokaido. Lilly lets her nap as she and Hisao make small talk.
- Little Busters!: The last CG in Mio's route is of her falling asleep on Riki's shoulder as they sit together at lunch under the zelkova tree.
- a2 ~a due~: After Hao and Sona stay up late into the night arguing over orchestral decisions, they fall asleep next to each other on the floor. Next morning, their orchestra members find them and start taking pictures with a cell phone, even more convinced now that the two of them are absolutely smitten with each other.
Cello player: Hey, give that back! No, don't delete it! It's too cute to delete!
Trumpet player: Yeah, we can Photoshop out your drool!
Sona: Do you honestly think that's the real problem here?!
- Scandinavia and the World: Happens twice with Norway and Denmark. But it comes naturally with all the Ho Yay.
- Piro and Kimiko, after getting over some of the problems they'd brought on through their combined neuroses.
- Happens with Kimiko again in #1265. It's been a long day, and Kimiko's conked out on Miho's shoulder.
- Not in the actual comic, but the Valentine's Day 2008 color panel of Misfile has Ash and Em posed like this.
- Another all-female example in this Cheer! with Alex and Lita.
- The entire "Afternoon Nap" arc of Tsunami Channel's Experimental Comic Kotone. Everyone except Laika gets chance with Onii-san.
- Questionable Content
- Stated to have happened with Jayce and Alice in Applegeeks, but sadly, we don't actually get to see it.
- Terinu plays with this, with Leeza and Rufus asleep in a ship's brig, Rufus sitting up and Leeza using his lap as a pillow and his tail for a blanket. Awww...
- El Goonish Shive. For nearly everyone, but particularly Grace.
- 8-Bit Theater: The Light Warriors look so adorable while sleeping together that their would-be assassins can't go through with killing them. But it's not gay, because there's three of them.
- For Kat and Art of Sequential Art, it ends up as an awkward position.
- Atomic Laundromat normally focuses on the humor, but even this webcomic can't resist the appeal of a full Sleep Cute strip.
- Panel five of this page from Cuanta Vida.
- In Impure Blood, Mac next to Roan.
- Sinfest's Criminy and Fuchsia do this plenty of times under the tree they read and stargaze together under. Including almost the entirety of this Sunday strip.
- Far Out There caught Trigger and Layla in one of these in a filler page.
- The Brawl in the Family strip Serenade has Kirby and Jigglypuff doing this.
- Tiffany in Precocious; She is Exceedingly Cute.
- Inverloch has Varden falling sound asleep on Lei'ella's shoulder at an inn, making her blush.
- It's been a long night for Winston and Florence in Freefall, so she makes use of his lap.
- Ulrich and Yumi of Code Lyoko fall asleep together during an all-night programming session at the Supercomputer.
- Kim Possible and Ron Stoppable fall asleep together during a boring field trip lecture during the "Rewriting History" episode, sharing a dream.
- Total Drama loves this trope and has used it for several of the Official Couples and even non-Canon couples. Usually Played for Laughs, or as a way of Getting Crap Past the Radar.
- Strangely subverted in X-Men: Evolution: Nightcrawler would look cute as he's sleeping... if only he didn't accidentally teleport every time he sneezes due to a bad cold. Taking Kitty with him.
- In the episode "Road Worrier", on the way back from Alternapalooza, Jane and Jesse fall asleep in this pose. Subverted a little in that Jane is not actually asleep.
- "My Night At Daria's". Tom and Daria fall asleep while reading in Daria's bedroom. They wake up at 4 AM, and Tom is forced to sneak out in a failed bid to avoid a hilarious misunderstanding.
- Justice League
- The Christmas Episode "Comfort and Joy" ends with Hawkgirl and Green Lantern resting against the counter of a bar. Hawkgirl gives the unconscious Green Lantern a peck on the cheek before she lays her head on his shoulder and goes to sleep.
- To slightly subvert this trope, John is also pressed up against a giant grey-skinned alien that they had been fighting earlier in the Bar Brawl.
- In the episode "Only a Dream", Flash fell asleep with his head in Hawkgirl's lap.
- Happened between Fry and Bender once on Futurama, when they got bored watching TV. They promptly fall asleep in the very same position once they become bored with what Leela wanted to watch — which being Futurama, takes all of four seconds. They scramble apart when woken up but not much is made of it.
- While on a long car trip in one episode of ˇMucha Lucha!, Buena Girl fell asleep on Rikochet's shoulder.
- Danny Phantom: Danny and Tucker accidentally sleeping together is the most hilarious non-gay moment ever.
- Happens with Ashoka and Bariss in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode "Brain Invaders". Granted, they were practically freezing to death since life support had been sabotaged and Bariss had just been freed from a mind-controlling worm. Here.◊
- A platonic but still quite adorable example occurs with Mimi and Scooter in episode 4 of The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan.
- One Looney Tunes short, The Old Gray Hare, has one with baby Elmer and baby Bugs in the middle of a chase scene.
- Molly and Jordan, three times in Ōban Star-Racers.
- Thundercats 2011: Tygra and Cheetara are seen sleeping against each other in the episode "Berbils", much to Lion-O's annoyance.
- Wild Kratts
- Martin and Chris invoke this trope accidentally. In "Voyage of the Butterflier XT", they're tired after their long journey to Mexico, and decide to hibernate with the butterflies. Eventually, cut to scene of Martin sleeping on Chris... and using his ass for a pillow.
- Again in Elephant in the Room, except the elephant calf put Chris on top of Martin after stealing their blankets. Didn't stop them from falling asleep, though...
- In the The Legend of Korra episode "The Revelation", Mako and Korra fall asleep this way while staking out Republic City Park, and wake up with hasty awkwardness when they realize the position they're in.
- In the Futurama episode "Neutopia", everyone gets their gender-defining characteristics removed and as a result, everyone starts to get along better. This includes a rather heartwarming scene of Leela and Amy sleeping next to Fry.
- Mated pairs of otters do this on purpose. Because they sleep floating on their backs in the water, they'll anchor themselves to any convenient seaweed with one front paw and hook the other around their mate's so they won't drift apart while they're sleeping.
- Many, many small mammals sleep together in a pile, both to share body heat and to fit as many as possible into a burrow or nest without having to make it bigger.
- In Real Life close friends may sometimes use each others shoulders as a pillow. Don't assume they're a couple though; it might turn out that they actually are Just Friends and would find it a bit weird to think otherwise. However, couples also do this.
- Additionally, this can happen by accident on long bus trips or plane flights. If only one half of the pair is asleep, awkwardness ensues.
- Thomas Gibson posted this adorable picture of his Criminal Minds castmates doing just this.