Edward Elmer "Doc" Smith, Ph.D. (2 May 1890-31 August 1965) was an American science fiction writer best known for Space Opera, a genre he arguably invented, including the Skylark Series, the Lensman series, The Galaxy Primes and Spacehounds of IPC. Smith was very much a pioneer in the field of science-fiction, starting work on The Skylark Of Space in 1916, though he was not able to find a publisher until 1928.Smith's nickname “Doc” derives from the fact that he was a professional chemist, holding a doctorate in chemical engineering. It is fair to say, however, that he never let scientific plausibility get in the way of telling a ripping yarn.
Works by E. E. “Doc” Smith with their own trope pages include:
Other works by E. E. “Doc” Smith provide examples of:
- Badass Family: The Family D'Alembert.
- The Greys: The inhabitants of Callisto (one of Jupiter's moons) in Spacehounds of I.P.C.. Like all humanoids in the book, they're on the side of the good guys.
- Heavyworlder: The Family D'Alembert
- Human Subspecies: In the Family D'Alembert series
- Science Marches On: The "computers" in Spacehounds of IPC are MEN who do the navigational computing for the spaceliners by hand and slide rule.
- Stun Guns: In the Family D'Alembert series