Series: You Are Beautiful
From bottom: Go Mi Nyeo, Hwang Tae Kyung, Kang Shin Woo, JeremyYou Are Beautiful
, sometimes translated as He's Handsome
or He's Beautiful
, is a 2009 Korean Series Romantic Comedy
about a girl named Go Mi Nyeo, played by Park Shinhye, who is pulled out of a convent to impersonate her brother Go Mi Nam and take his place in a boy band called A.N.JELL while her brother gets his plastic surgery fixed. Members of this boy band include:
- Hwang Tae Kyung, the proud, arrogant and completely anal band leader (with a heart of gold). He's played by Jang Geunsuk.
- Kang Shin Woo, the painfully nice guy. He's played by CN Blue's Jung Yonghwa.
- Kang On Yu, nicknamed Jeremy, the funny guy. He's played by FT Island's Lee Hongki.
Go Mi Nam has to hide her identity while trying to succeed as a pop idol. Comedy
In 2011, a Japanese remake
of this drama was released in Japan as Ikemen Desu ne
You Are Beautiful provides examples of:
- Alone in a Crowd: Shin Woo and Mi Nam just miss each other in a crowded street.
- Always Someone Better: Yoo He Yi's feelings towards Go Mi Nam
- ...And That Little Girl Was Me: Shin Woo tells Mi Nam this story about some kid with a weird dialect...
- Anyone Remember Pogs?
- Apologizes a Lot: Go Mi Nyeo, especially to Tae Kyung.
- Arranged Marriage: The rumors of Jeremy's past involve being a member of English aristocracy and his engagement to the princess of England. When questioned about it, he says he still keeps in touch with her.
- Bad Ass: Shin Woo's backstory involves taking down 17 guys in a fight by himself when he was still in high school.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Yoo He Yi, until you pretty much want to stab her to death.
- Bokukko: Go Mi Nyeo
- Boy Band: A.N.JELL.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": Pig-Rabbit
- Captain Oblivious: Due to being raised by nuns, Mi Nam is a little sheltered. Naive. Dense. To put it mildly.
- The Cast Show Off:
- Shinwoo doesn't sing in the band and is (supposedly) the bassist, however he sings and plays the guitar for Minam in one episode which showcased actor Jung Yonghwa's skills as a lead singer and guitarist of his band CN Blue.
- Jeremy too, played by FT Island's Hongki, is also merely the drummer but he also has moments where he sings (albeit briefer) which showcases Hongki's vocal skills. Though for one of those moments, Jeremy is sobbing like a baby while doing so because he just had his heart broken.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Mi Nam's best friend had a crush on Mi Nyeo and was planning to propose to her once he completed his mandatory military service, despite the facts that he hadn't seen her in a while and that she was supposed to be in a convent. He never made a move when they were younger because she was his best friend's younger sister.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience - A.N.JELL for a photo shoot.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Shin Woo as a Type B, who is the first band member to discover (and keep) Mi Nyeo's gender secret.
- Epunymous Title / Pun-Based Title: The Korean title is read "Mi-nam-i-shi-ne-yo", which can be translated as either of the two examples at the top of the page or "You're Mi Nam", which describes Mi Nyeo's situation in a nutshell.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Yoo He Yi does not understand why Hwang Tae Kyung would save her from fans taking unwanted pictures of her with her nose bleeding.
- Dumb Blonde: Jeremy. He's not a natural blonde though, obviously.
- Fangirl: A.N.JELL have lots. Some of them camp outside A.N.JELL's residence seemingly round the clock. Tae Kyung gets very competitive about how many he has.
- Gayngst: Jeremy. His body reacts as if Mi Nam is a girl (which she is), but his brain doesn't seem to catch on. This results in him repressing his feelings,interpreting things wrong, and pretty much acting as a mild Type B tsundere. Of course, the gayngst ends as soon as he finds out the truth... only to find out Mi Nyeo likes Tae Kyung.
- Gratuitous English: President Ahn will often say things in English, and the lyrics to "Promise" includes it as well.
- Half-Identical Twins: Go Mi Nam and Go Mi Nyeo.
- Heel-Face Turn:
- The fans eventually warm up to Mi Nam after she 'saves' Tae Kyung's life.
- By the end, He Yi has not exposed Mi Nam's secret and even gracefully ended her fake relationship with Tae Kyung.
- The Hong Sisters: One of their most successful collaborations.
- HopelessSuitors: Shin Woo and Jeremy. Also, Mi Nyeo's childhood friend.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Shin Woo tells Mi Nyeo about the concept of Slash Fan Fiction in which the boys of A.N.Jell are involved in a torrid love triangle. Jeremy is a fan.
- Hurricane of Euphemisms: The star euphemism is done to death.
- Imagine Spot: Used numerous times in the drama for comedic relief.
- In the Blood: Apparently, everyone in her family can sing.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Tae Kyung. He doesn't mean most of his bitching, and even in his jerkiest moments his intentions are usually good.
- Just Friends: Virtually every boy Mi Nyeo meets has a crush. In the end, there can only be one.
- Kick the Dog: Tae Kyung pretends to throws Mi Nam's Memento MacGuffin — a ring given to her and her brother by their parents — into a nearby stream and tells her to give up searching for her Missing Mom, prompting her to search uselessly in said stream all night. The only things that prevent people from saying he crossed the Moral Event Horizon are the facts that Tae Kyung is the love interest and has a Freudian Excuse involving Parental Abandonment.
- Korean Honorifics: Mi Nyeo speaks in elevated honorifics.
- Korean Pop Music:
- Lee Hongki, who plays Jeremy, is an actual Idol Singer of the group FT Island.
- Jung Yonghwa, who plays Shinwoo, is also an Idol Singer of CN Blue.
- Anjell itself is a kpop band.
- And Shin Woo is played by Jung Yong Hwa from the idol band CNBlue.
- Lampshade Hanging: Manager Ma says in Episode 15, "This is not a Korean Drama!"
- Lyrical Dissonance: Jeremy sings an upbeat song about falling in love - while bawling his eyes out because he's just been rejected. The cheerful lyrics just make it so much worse.
- Meaningful Name: Mi Nam and Mi Nyeo mean 'boy' and 'girl' in Korean, respectively. Go Mi Nam is also a pun on the Korean word for 'bishonen'.
- Missed Him by That Much
- Mommy Issues: Tae Kyung big time.
- Nobody Poops: Averted - in one episode Mi Nam hides herself in the toilet from the male back-up dancers/trainees and pretends to poop as an excuse. The guys are understandably disgusted.
- Oblivious to Love: It's a miracle how Go Mi Nam manages not to notice all the guys in the band want her. A miracle.
- Orbital Kiss: There's one with Tae Kyung and Mi Nam where the camera rotates all the way around... and back... and around again.
- Orbital Shot: Used when Tae Kyung is searching for Mi Nam in a crowd.
- Paparazzi: Reporter Kim.
- Pair the Spares: The real Mi Nam and Yoo He Yi. Manager Ma and Stylist Wang is teased.
- Piggyback Cute: When Go Mi Nam gets drunk, Shin Woo carries her back to the house.
- Product Displacement: Storefront names and clothing labels are pixelated. Vehicle logos are duct taped.
- Race for Your Love: An airport looking for a nun, a bus terminal looking for a band member, a mall looking for a girlfriend, etc. etc.
- Real Person Fic: Jeremy reads some bandslash of himself, Shin Woo and Tae Kyung, and likes it.
- Ret C On: Shinwoo is stated to be the band's bassist, yet for their band performances shown in the series he plays the guitar instead.
- Rich Bitch: Tae Kyung's mother and He Yi.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Whenever Mi Nam reverts back to being Mi Nyeo.
- Shirtless Scene: After dance practice, Mi Nam has to pass through a locker room filled with naked back-up dancers. Lucky for her, Shin Woo comes to her rescue and escorts her out.
- Shout-Out: There are a lot of shout-outs to other dramas and movies in South Korean pop culture, especially during the imagine spots.
- Oldboy: Mi Nam's manager imagines locking up Tae Kyung in a dungeon for 15 years. (Epi 3)
- A snippet of Korean Idol Band Super Junior's song "Sorry Sorry".
- In episode 4, Mi Nam is made to learn Korean Pop Music groups and the number of members, such as Girls' Generation, 2NE1 and Wonder Girls. She even correctly rattles off all 13 members of Super Junior properly!
- James Bond movies. (Epi 8)
- "Shut Up" Kiss: Tae Kyung and Mi Nam during an argument.
- Sleep Cute: Tae Kyung and Mi Nam at the movie theater.
- Spanner in the Works: The aunt is a real piece of work. In a few instances, Mi Nam leaves to see her (interrupting previous plans) only for her not to be there. And then, Tae Kyung and Mi Nam are alone in the country, and likely to get closer. Hey, why not call He Yi and give her the exact address?
- Spotting the Thread: Mi Nyeo's cover is almost blown because her brother's best friend noticed that the scar Mi Nam got from a motorcycle accident was missing and that their shoe sizes were no longer the same. Luckily for Mi Nyeo, he doesn't reveal her secret.
- Stalking Is Love: Shin Woo spends a whole day following Mi Nyeo and buying her treats and presents without her realizing it. Some fans found it endearing, while others just found it creepy and pathetic.
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: Poor Jeremy. He's the only one of the band who just can't seem to figure out that Mi Nam is a girl. Doesn't stop him from being attracted to her, much to his own chagrin.
- Terrified of Germs: Tae Kyung is a neatfreak who has an issue with hygeine. He's understandably horrified when Minam accidentally kisses and throws up on him.
- Theme Tune Cameo: A given since practically all Korean dramas play their OST, a lot.
- Title Drop: The manager helping keep her secret does a search of most popular hits today, and she makes all the top five. Somewhere in there, is the words "You're Beautiful" which he's confused about.
- Twin Switch: The premise of the series.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Most of the cast, but best played with Jeremy. He first looks very angry and is about to set off a rant - and then he grins, kisses her forehead and gleefully says, "So you're a girl after all? I don't mind at all!"
- When He Smiles: Tae Kyung. Mi Nam is shocked when he first smiles for her.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Go Mi Nyeo when posing as her twin brother, Go Mi Nam.
- You Called Me X, It Must Be Serious: Tae Kyung changes mid-sentence from "Monkey" to "He Yi" during a serious personal conversation.