Dara, Bom, CL and Minzy.
2NE1 (usually pronounced "twenty-one" or "to anyone" , Korean: 투애니원) is a Korean Pop Music Girl Group
from South Korea
. Several members featured in their labelmates' songs predebut, and Dara was a former actress and singer in the Philippines, where she grew up. They debuted in 2009 and obtained instant success, due in part to the fact that their style and lyrics gave the quartet an edge rare in the girl group scene at the time.
Additionally, Bom and CL are also successful solo artists, with Bomo debuting in 2009 and CL debuting in 2013.
Their status has been uncertain since 2014 due to the severe reaction to Bom's drug scandal, where she was caught allegedly smuggling amphetamines into Korea years ago
. There were several statements with varying degrees of authenticity, from weight loss pills to medicine for her depression stemmed from the death of a good childhood friend
Regardless of the true story and despite CEO YG's attempts to bury the incident, the strong backlash lead to Bom be pulling out of Korean activities, leaving the group to promote without her (if at all) in Korea afterward. Concerns that they will disband have arose, with Minzy having posted the quote "Your career may change, but you will not" while briefly removing the 2NE1 mention from her Instagram profile and CL's plans to debut in America as a soloist with Scooter Braun's entertainment company.
As of 2014, they have released 2 mini albums in Korean, 1 mini album in Japanese, 2 full albums in Korean and 2 full albums in Japanese, becoming incredibly
popular at home. They've impressed Black Eyed Peas
' Will.i.am, who's helped them record an English album for their debut in the States; however it got stuck in Development Hell
and has probably been shelved for good.
- CL, born Lee Chaerin, The Leader of the group (Type II/Type IV), and the main rapper. Usually wears Cool Shades. She's the second youngest, born in 1991.
- Minzy, born Gong Minji. She's the youngest member of the group (born in 1994), but has the deepest voice and is a main singer and rapper.
- Dara, born Park Sandara. She sings and is the director of communications for the group. Although she and Bom were both born in 1984, Bom was born nine months before her.
- Bom, born Park Bom, the main singer. Bom is known for her unique voice and her affinity for mini dresses. She's also the oldest member, being born in 1984 and about nine months before Dara.
- 2NE1 1st Mini Album (2009)
- To Anyone (2010) (first full album in Korean)
- 2NE1 2nd Mini Album (2011)
- NOLZA! (2011) (Japanese version of their 2nd Mini Album)
- 2NE1 1st Live Concert (Nolza!) (2011) (their first live concert album)
- Collection (2012) (first full album in Japanese; all but two of the album's songs are covers of their Korean hits)
- 2012 2NE1 Global Tour: New Evolution (Live in Seoul) (2012) (their second live concert album)
- Falling In Love (2013) (summer single)
- Do You Love Me (2013) (summer single)
- Missing You (2013) (winter single)
- Crush (2014) (second full album in Korean)
- Crush (2014) (second full album in Japanese; it includes the three 2013 singles, that didn't feature in the Korean Crush)
- Kiss (Dara solo - featuring CL)
- You And I (Bom solo)
- Please Don't Go (Minzy and CL duet)
- Don't Cry (Bom solo)
- The Baddest Female (CL solo)
- MTBD (CL solo)
- All I Want For Christmas Is You (Bom and Lee Hayi duet)
- Dirty Vibe (collaboration between Skrillex, Diplo, CL, and G-Dragon of Big Bang)
Provides examples of
- Animated Music Video: For Hate You.
- Bare Your Midriff: CL in the beginning of "Can't Nobody" and all over the place for her solo "The Baddest Female."
- The "Falling In Love" MV features Minzy dancing in a crop top, and even the usually very covered Dara shows a bit of stomach in that video.
- Bathtub Scene: CL gets one in the "Missing You" MV.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: In the MV for "Missing You", it's Dara (blonde◊, Bom/CL (both◊ brunette◊), and Minzy (redhead◊).
- Boastful Rap: To be expected, since their sound is influenced by hip-hop.
- I Am The Best, in particular, is nothing but over three minutes of self-boasting, and a good chunk of it is rap.
- CL's "The Baddest Female" is again, three minutes of self-boasting.
- CL's "MTBD" and her verses in "Dirty Vibe" count as well.
- Breakup Song: They have quite a few.
- Catch Phrase: "What's up, we're 2NE1!"
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Bom could be this, The Ditz or The Klutz. An article that followed 2NE1's concert in Los Angeles even called her "2NE1's token absent-minded cutie".
- Cool Shades: CL seems to have a full on fetish for them.
- Cover Version: In Collection, they covered Madonna's Signature Song Like a Virgin.
- Cyberpunk: The music video for Come Back Home is set in a futuristic, grim metropolis in which people are addicted, to the point of dependency, to virtual reality.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Dara. Her previously wealthy family had to emigrate to the Philippines, where Dara had trouble adjusting. She managed to become quite a starlet, but her father gambled a lot of her money away.
- Darker and Edgier: The video for "Come Back Home".
- Dismissing a Compliment: Their song Ugly contains an example of this. Instead of actually being about an unattractive person, it seems to be about an attractive person with severe insecurity issues who claims that someone is lying to her face when they tell her she is pretty.
- Distaff Counterpart: Labelmates BIGBANG, by Word of God (the CEO of their label). They were introduced as this due to their similar concepts and music at debut.
- Fangirl: Minzy, for the Black Eyed Peas and Usher. CL for 2NE1's own producer, Teddy Park.
- Gay Best Friend: Stylist Jeremy Scott is this to CL.
- Genki Girl: Dara, despite being in her late twenties, is as energetic as a pre-teen on a sugar high.
- Genre Shift:
- From the R&B-influenced K-Pop of their debut EP, to the electro-influenced To Anyone.
- Their second mini album has a different sound than To Anyone, too. 2NE1 (or rather, their producer Teddy Park) does not shy away from experimenting with different sounds and genres. This hasn't led to any Broken Base, surprisingly. Or rather, that's not why their base is broken.
- Gratuitous English: For a K-Pop group, not so much - their producer's half American after all and two of the members (CL, Bom) are fluent in English.
- Hotter and Sexier: Minzy. Went from this◊ to this◊. Wow.
- Idol Singer: Obviously, though unlike other idols they pretty much stick to music - when they appear in TV, it's an event. The CEO himself has said he wants to minimize their variety appearances "because we care for our artists" and wants to have a different mindset from other companies. This seems to be changing, though, as the group has made several variety appearances such as in Running Man and "Roommate" (Bom).
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Minzy once off-handedly spoke about her fondness for going naked in the apartment she shares with Bom and, some time afterwards, she had another similar outburst.
- The Leader: CL. CL. CL. On stage, she is a beast. Off stage, quite a dorky girl.
- Lighter and Softer:
- Lyrical Dissonance: the lyrics of the upbeat, cheerful-sounding Happy are anything but happy.
- Older Than They Look: Both Dara and Bom are in their late twenties but look years younger.
- Out-of-Genre Experience: The reggae version of their hit I Don't Care, and Ugly, a song influenced by punk rock. Also, their ballads, but it's usual for them to put at least one ballad on every album.
- Pool Scene: Their MV for Do You Love Me features a pool and the 2NE1 girls in swimsuits. Cue nosebleeds all around the world.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Hate You, again.
- Reggae: "Falling In Love" has noticeable reggae influences, and the song's MV is appropriately summery.
- She's Got Legs: Bom - and, since she wears mini dresses all the time, she probably knows it.
- Stage Names: Surprisingly for a K-Pop group, all of the members use their real names (with the exception of CL, who still uses the initials of her real name - Chaerin Lee.)
- Surprisingly Good English:
- CL who grew up in many places (her dad was a physics professor); she's fluent in Korean, English, Japanese and French.
- Bom as well is fluent in English since she studied in America.
- Dara too, even though she has a very noticeable Filipino accent when speaking English.
- Surprisingly Good Foreign Language: Due to having lived in the Philippines, Dara can speak very fluent Tagalog.
- Translated Cover Version: Their Japanese EPs and albums are full of Japanese covers of their Korean songs.
- Troubled Fetal Position: CL did this naked in the "Missing You" MV, which ended up sparking some controversy among netizens.
- True Companions: They may have been put together by their label, there may be a 10-year age difference between the youngest member and the oldest one, but the girls are inseparable now. They even got matching tattoos.
- Woman in White: Bom and Lee Hi◊ in "All I Want For Christmas Is You".
- Would Hit a Girl: The guy in the "Go Away" music video, when CL goes to his house to harass him and his girlfriend. He ends up paying for it.