"And so the nightly hunt begins..."Bloodborne
is a horror Action RPG
developed by From Software
with support from SCE Japan Studio
. It is directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, of Demons Souls
and Dark Souls
In the ancient city of Yharnam, an unspeakable evil has been unleashed: a plague
that spreads through the streets like wildfire, leaving nothing but mindless beasts in its wake. Now, the only hope of survival for what living souls remain is to venture into the city's heart, and discover the dark secrets that lie within.
Unlike the Souls
puts an emphasis on aggressive gameplay. Countering, for instance, now requires you to strike your opponents as they wind up for an attack. Similarly, enemy mobs that grow in waves encourage players to go on the offensive, before they're overwhelmed.
The game will be released in 2015, exclusively on PlayStation 4
Previews: Trailer 1
, Trailer 2
, Trailer 3
Bloodbourne contains examples of:
- Badass Longcoat: In the promotional materials, the badass monster killer wears an outfit that includes a long, leather coat.
- Bloodier and Gorier: Bloodborne will be much more bloody than the Souls games. The player character can become covered in the blood of the enemies faced.
- Call Back: The entire feel and atmosphere of Yharnam is drawn straight from the Tower of Latria.
- City of Adventure: Most of the game is set within the ancient city of Yharnam, but the player will have the ability to journey to outlying locales.
- Drop-In-Drop-Out Multiplayer: Rather than the whole "summoned to another world" and player character phantoms from the Souls games, Bloodborne will have seamless multiplayer functionality to allow players to help or hunt each other without interruption.
- Find the Cure: People journey to Yharnam in search of a medical remedy that once made the city famous: a Panacea said to cure any ill. The protagonist is one of those foreigners, seeking a cure for their own disease.
- Iconic Outfit: Promotional materials all feature a character wearing a leather Badass Longcoat, pointed hat, and engraved gauntlets.
- Mix-and-Match Weapon: There is going to be a bigger focus on customizable weapons with immense versatility, having two or three different forms to mix up the combat more than the Souls games.
- The saw-cleaver combo weapon featured in promotional materials: its blade has teeth on one side, and a clean edge on the other. This allows it to be folded in half at the hilt and used as a saw, or folded out and used as a clever.
- A weapon seen in the third trailer is a collapsible scythe with a detachable blade, which can be used as a sword.
- The Gamescom gameplay trailer features an axe that has an extending handle.
- Once per Episode: The game reuses themes and plot points featured in both Demons Souls and Dark Souls.
- A mighty kingdom is left in ruins after a Zombie Apocalypse.
- Adventurers making a pilgrimage to an ancient, forgotten land in search of a cure to a mysterious disease that afflicts them.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: The beast-disease infecting the citizens of Yharnam turns them - or at least some of them - into wolf-like monsters.
- The Power of Blood: Using the blood of your enemies is what allows you to regain health and level up your character. There is even a mechanic based on what blood you absorb: too much tainted blood will turn you into a beast, which can be ended by hunting down online players for "pure" blood.
- Scenery Gorn: Just like its predecessors. The environments are dark, dank, and filled with death, disease and decay.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: One of weapons presented in promotional materials is a blunderbuss.
- Shout-Out: The costume the main character wears in promotional materials is inspired by the Iconic Outfit from Brotherhood of the Wolf.
- Steam Punk/Gothic Punk: The game has a very Gothic-Victorian Era feel likened to the Jack the Ripper era of Victorian London.
- Spiritual Successor: For Demons Souls and Dark Souls. Like those two titles, Bloodborne is an Action RPG with horror elements. Similarly, the game is directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki, who also directed Demon's and Dark.
- Sword and Gun: The character featured in promotional materials uses a cleaver-like weapon in one hand and a blunderbuss in the other. The mixture of melee combat and gunplay is to make the gameplay much more aggressive.
- The Plague/Zombie Apocalypse: The "beast-disease" infecting Yharnam turns those afflicted into mindless monsters, with the later stages of the disease turning the infected into literal beasts.